Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let's see how quickly your delusions smack you in the face, when you need to fly to a funeral or something, and try to rent a car at the airport without a credit card.
I have no need to go to a person's funeral. That person is dead anyway, and will not miss me for being absent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Bank-issued check/debit cards with CC logos work just as well.
Agreed. I've done it many times with no issues whatsoever.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have no need to go to a person's funeral. That person is dead anyway, and will not miss me for being absent.
So true.

I don't believe in funerals.

I don't want a funeral when I die.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
So true.

I want a giant celebration when I die, even if nobody but my immediate family shows up.

It WILL be paid for in CASH before I die.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
So true.

Well, TKramar, you're not one who evidences on so many forums any sort of empathy relative to most so your opinion is no big surprise at all. City_data91, at 19 years old you've already made up your mind when at your tender age you have no clue about death, dying, grief or acceptance.

What the fudge do either of your self-centered comments have to do with the subject at hand? The older one interjects all the time with his rather unusual and very argumentative take on life in general and the younger one is desperately trying to find a kindred soul to whom he can relate when both his peers and his family obviously have a hard time dealing with him.

Whether or not this will be of any help to you at all, mackinac81, I've been debt free for close to 20 years now. I have no credit cards, just a bank debit card which I understand I can easily switch to the same card with a VISA attachment. Dinosaur that I may well be, I've been there done that with credit cards, got landed with a big debt via a bad marriage and even though that statute of limitations has been long gone I prefer to remain old school and pay as I go.

I realize my program doesn't work for all and isn't the norm by any stretch of the imagination but you need to live within your means. $40K in debt at your age and in your situation has to be very scary. Keep paying off the minimum plus a little extra and just get rid of it all as best you can.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Let's see how quickly your delusions smack you in the face, when you need to fly to a funeral or something, and try to rent a car at the airport without a credit card.

Most of us here have no problem with posters who disagree with our opinions, but it kind of irritating then they accuse us of being delusional.

Well then prepare to be irritated again by being 'smacked in the face' by REALITY.

I've rented a car several times in the last 6 months. Both when flying, and when going to check out cars I'm looking at buying.

I use my Debit card at Enterprise (They typically have the best deals anyway) One additional form of ID and your good to go.
-THere are other companies who also rent to Debit cards, but I don't bother.

Been doing that for over 10 years.

Don't believe me, check with Dave Ramsey.

Sorry you don't like reality and having your delusions pointed out, but those are the facts.
(As being different by OPINIONS. Correct or incorrect)

Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
But Themanwithnoname can't resist going to the funeral. It's his last chance to stand up and eulogize the deceased by saying "He was delusional. He didn't have the same opinions as mine about his personal affairs. He was so delusional, he even had a credit card." He has this irresistible drive to call people delusional if they don't follow his advice about how to live their lives exactly the way he does, according to his own priorities and individual lifestyle needs.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
But Themanwithnoname can't resist going to the funeral. It's his last chance to stand up and eulogize the deceased by saying "He was delusional. He didn't have the same opinions as mine about his personal affairs. He was so delusional, he even had a credit card." He has this irresistible drive to call people delusional if they don't follow his advice about how to live their lives exactly the way he does, according to his own priorities and individual lifestyle needs.

Ok, I corrected your misconception and vocalizations of factually incorrect data, and merely turned YOUR words back on yourself.

You are doing nothing other than a baseless, factually hollow personal attack. And to be honest it's getting tiring given the multiple places you are doing so.

Feel free to attack me, I don't mind that. But please do it using facts and figures, not mindless, and statistically incorrect insults. They bore me.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
I guess if you don't care about the person's other surviving friends and relatives, either, than that's your call to make.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm a 29 year old single guy trying to pay off his debts. My debt load is pretty high,(about 40,000 including student loans, car, credit card and another loan). I'm on a downward trend, but right now I'm working a second job and looking for a higher paying one. Anyway, does anyone have any encouraging stories of becoming debt free? If so, what's your story? I could use the encouragement.

Thanks!
mackinac
Commit to paying $X to your debt and then whatever is left over you can do whatever you want with.

Avoid any big money drains like a new car, eating out...bars....that sort of thing.

Basically, pay yourself first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance