Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,814,381 times

Advertisements

Ex-SDSU coach sells home for $518,000 loss - SignOnSanDiego.com

OK...can you say living beyond your means.......We have got to learn to live within our means....The coach did not need that much "house". When you buy a home, you've got to have within the back of your mind....if I loose my job, can I still go to Walmart/Target and "swing the house payment"....
Just keeping it real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

OK...can you say living beyond your means.......We have got to learn to live within our means....The coach did not need that much "house". When you buy a home, you've got to have within the back of your mind....if I loose my job, can I still go to Walmart/Target and "swing the house payment"....
Just keeping it real...
Hold on a second. He was earning $700K and bought a home for $1.368M; In other words, his annual salary was over half of his house price. How many people can claim that? Also, a $1.368M home in northern San Diego County in 2007 is probably a 3000-3500 square foot home - not as elaborate as you think.

He later took a lower paying job - a 50% cut. OK, how many people buy a house based on an assumption that they'll take a 50% pay cut? Probably not many, why? Because most people don't take 50% pay cuts. Most people get a increase in salary every year and their house payment as a percentage of their salary becomes smaller and smaller.

He also sold it at a loss - he took the hit, not me and not us.

Finally, you are correct that the coach didn't "need" that much house but that is irrelevant. He wanted that much house and his purchasing decision is based on want. If purchasing decisions were based on need, we'd all be living in 500 square foot homes somewhere.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,259,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

Just keeping it real...
Man, sometimes I can't tell if it is sarcasm or a real POV...

Old 03-21-2011, 02:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,997,531 times
If that were the case then not mnay could afforsd a decent home when looking at this guys salary.Mnay renting with leases would be living in tents also.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,254,738 times
Really?!

It's not that he couldn't afford the payment ...... it's that he no longer was in a position to live there

People make vast assumptions about what people can/cannot afford.

Fact of the matter is the price of the home took a drastic tumble making it impossible for him to sell it for what the loan amount was.

He was no longer going to live there.

Nothing that much different than thousands of others who have had similar circumstances arise

Not everyone who goes through a short sale or foreclosure was living beyond their means .... so frequently a change in life circumstances creates the issue

Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,678 times
Do you know how many people this has happened to in the last couple of years? Think about it, the man lost his job, got a 50% pay cut, do you know how many people this happens to? Alot. My advice is stop worrying about what other people do and watch your own finances!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,176,187 times
Head football coach at a university is a notoriously unstable job. I think it was unrealistic to buy expensive real estate based on that salary. Not the smartest thing to do, but probably not worth a thread on CD with 7 exclamation points in the subject line.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,791,816 times
My 2 cents :

If I won the Lotto and had 50 bazillion dollars, I don't think I would get a Mega Mansion..... I mean you can only go into so many rooms......

Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,047,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Finally, you are correct that the coach didn't "need" that much house but that is irrelevant. He wanted that much house and his purchasing decision is based on want. If purchasing decisions were based on need, we'd all be living in 500 square foot homes somewhere.
The fact that what is actually needed is seen as irrelevant is a big part of our problem these days.

Maybe we'd all actually be a lot happier if we lived in what we could easily afford. I'm always shocked at how people just seem to sign up for more and more stress in their lives. This guy could have bought a house for 700K and lived quite nicely. I know that is not luxury living in San Diego, but it's nicer than how most people live.

People just do not think anything bad will happen to them and then they act shocked when it does.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The fact that what is actually needed is seen as irrelevant is a big part of our problem these days.

Maybe we'd all actually be a lot happier if we lived in what we could easily afford. I'm always shocked at how people just seem to sign up for more and more stress in their lives. This guy could have bought a house for 700K and lived quite nicely. I know that is not luxury living in San Diego, but it's nicer than how most people live.

People just do not think anything bad will happen to them and then they act shocked when it does.

The average salary in San Diego County is around $70K. How many people in San Diego (or anywhere) would want to live in a house that costs the same as their annual salary? That's what the coach would be doing. And, a $700K home then is about a $450K home today there.

Also, the difference between a $700K home then and a $1.4M house then is probably only a little bit more square feet but a lot more land. A $1.4M home in 2007 in north San Diego County is just a very nice house - that's it. We lived in a comparable part of Los Angeles. Guess what? We sold our 2200 square foot house for $921K in 2006. A plain, 2200 square foot, 4+3 house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance