Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

The most expensive dinner I personally have ever paid for was probably close to $50, for two people, including tip. The most expensive dinner I was ever taken out for, was around $150-$200 and an utter waste. It was a Valentine's day dinner at a lovely French restaurant - if he had asked me about it beforehand I could have told him I don't like French cuisine at all.
I'm personally not into fine (i.e. expensive) dining...I'm happy to splurge on a quality cut of beef (which isn't hard to find, especially out here in MO) but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Nyc

I've been to Smith & Wollensky (love it) - we have one in Miami Beach.

Anyway, every year, we visit our daughter for a few days in NYC. I know someday, these visits will not be the same once she gets married but for right now, it's worth it because it's a great memory.

One year, we went and visited and a friend of hers appeared at every dinner. Last year, we said - OK, one big night out, not 4. Back we went to BLT Steak. Amazing, absolutely amazing. Party of 6 - $710 with tip. I think that was pretty good considering we are now all over 21!! (Even my kids)

I'm not a fast food eater but I will wait for the dining experience and yes, I remember them. I just love the whole experience.

We are blessed to have some of the best restaurants in our city. Trulucks is one of my favorites but if you go early or during the week, you can get a great deal!! We also have NY Prime, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Abe & Louie's, Chops just to name a few.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,180 times
the most Ive spent on dinner was $493.00....I just received a hefty bonus and my wife and six of our friends met out for dinner, and when the check came, I just paid it...

my wife and I have had some pretty good bills at Trulucks(which we love) in Houston and Austin....the taste of Texas in Houston, and in Vegas as well.....the most I can remember spending was around $225 dollars on a seven course meal which was awful....

Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Am I the only person thinking "Are you kidding?" I know OP asked the question but I'm astounded at the amount of money people are willing to pay for a meal. We are very comfortable, no money worries at all, except how to manage it,yet I would never spend that kind of money for food. I know NYC is very pricey and incomes accommodate that kind of lifestyle but I still can't see spending more than $50 per person for a really nice meal. especially in this economy. We don't drink and so we never have liquor bill.

Our son last year ate at one of those completely dark served by blind people places and he paid around $250 for 2 people saying experience is more important than things. I was furious as he is living rent free in one of my rental units while in graduate school. Easy for him to say.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM

191 posts, read 946,292 times
For the two of us we spent $100, so $50 each. We didn't buy alcohol. It was for Valentines' Day one year at a nice Japanese restaurant in Orlando.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Am I the only person thinking "Are you kidding?" I know OP asked the question but I'm astounded at the amount of money people are willing to pay for a meal. We are very comfortable, no money worries at all, except how to manage it,yet I would never spend that kind of money for food. I know NYC is very pricey and incomes accommodate that kind of lifestyle but I still can't see spending more than $50 per person for a really nice meal. especially in this economy.

You sort of answered your own question there when you said that YOU “would never spend that kind of money for food.”

The simple answer is that everyone has something that they choose to spend their disposable income on; it could be for a hobby, or as an occasional treat to themselves, or simply for something that they enjoy – that could be anything from fine dining, to designer clothes, a luxury car, season tickets for a sports team, collecting Beanie Babies or whatever. And for every such choice made by one person, there is probably another person who would never choose to spend their own money on such things.

As a personal example, my wife and I like to go out for a nice meal in a more upscale restaurant every so often, and we like to travel (with at least one trip a year preferably being for several days in a nice, warm and tropical environment). We probably spend more on dining out and travel than others do (or would even consider spending). By the same token, I drive an inexpensive little Honda that I will likely keep until I absolutely need a new car, and would never think to spend my money on a new car every few years or drop $30k-$40k or more on a luxury car – but in the latter case, I do not see that as being a ridiculous way to spend one’s money; it is just not how I choose to spend mine.

Or if Nine Inch Nails went back on tour and tickets were $100, I would likely pay to go see them play again – on the other hand, I would consider spending $5 on a Celine Dion ticket to be spending $5 too much.

Different strokes and all of that…

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
My most expensive dinner was a dinner with my wife for my birthday several years ago while we were in Paris. We went to this supposedly top restaurant in Paris and it was really overrated. The bill came to about 400 Euros ($500 US dollars) at the time. For a nothing special dinner and the only alcohol was 1 glass of wine.

We swore after that less than spectacular meal that we'd never do that again..... we don't have problems financially but it just felt like such a rip off.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Around $115 for two and not more than three glasses of wine were involved. Just a greedy BF on his birthday. BTW, he never took me out for mine. My dinner cost $23. He had to have oysters, shrimp and steak of course.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Honestly some of the best meals I've had were less than $30/ plate but once you start getting into the $50+ range you really ARE paying for the atmosphere more than the food. I LOVE steak, a good steak to me is by far better than any fancy cuisine but on special occasions, I'll pay for the atmosphere.

Two of my favorite restaurants in Phoenix are Ruth Chris and Morton's Steak House, both of which will run anywhere between $60-$150 per person (Ruth Chris being at the upper end). Fiancee and I will usually visit either place once a month or so.

Most expensive meal? Hmm...there have been some expensive ones that I didn't pay for but I couldn't tell you the price. At their wedding anniversary a few years ago, my parents took out a very large portion of family (16-20 people) to a very nice, elegant restaurant in Scottsdale called Bourbon Steak. After all was said and done, the bill had to exceed $3000 because of the wine and mixed drinks we ordered. I don't know how many whiskey sour's I had that night but after 3-4 they started tasting like water!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Ninja Restaurant in NYC (look it up, really cool concept - all waiters are trained Ninja!) - spent $160 pp for me and my wife but it's almost like a broadway show!

Peter Luger's I've gotten up to around $125pp.

Marea (famous italian place near Central Park) was around $200pp.

it's ok to do it from time to time. the culinary world is pretty unique if you hit the right spots.

the michelin 3 stars mentioned above are outstanding as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance