Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Damm, I would have held on to that money just in case I'm next in the upcoming weeks. I just like to have as much money in my account as possible when a job starts letting people go. So now it's nervous time because not only did I pay off the Amex Card, but I paid the balance on the rest of my bills

Wis I can turn back the clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Damm, I would have held on to that money just in case I'm next in the upcoming weeks. I just like to have as much money in my account as possible when a job starts letting people go. So now it's nervous time because not only did I pay off the Amex Card, but I paid the balance on the rest of my bills

Are you aggressively seeking another job? If not, why not?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you aggressively seeking another job? If not, why not?
I was going to start seeing what other opportunities were out there in the fall but after seeing three people get let go in 2 weeks I think I better

Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
I was going to start seeing what other opportunities were out there in the fall but after seeing three people get let go in 2 weeks I think I better
You indicated in a post recently, that there was no problems with funding, or are they just letting people go because of ???? Honestly, this workplace of yours sounds crazy, TV. I'd start looking too.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
You indicated in a post recently, that there was no problems with funding, or are they just letting people go because of ???? Honestly, this workplace of yours sounds crazy, TV. I'd start looking too.
I have to agree with you

Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:

How come you didn't take on board the fact that your workplace has been unstable lately (reappointment of a supervisor who previously let people go, etc. etc.) and that jobs might be shed? Heck, I'm sitting here halfway around the world and - just from reading a few of your threads - even I knew your job most likely wasn't safe. Plenty of posters have been telling you the same thing. Do you just post stuff and never take any notice of the responses?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
How come you didn't take on board the fact that your workplace has been unstable lately (reappointment of a supervisor who previously let people go, etc. etc.) and that jobs might be shed? Heck, I'm sitting here halfway around the world and - just from reading a few of your threads - even I knew your job most likely wasn't safe. Plenty of posters have been telling you the same thing. Do you just post stuff and never take any notice of the responses?

To be honest I guess I'm kind of content with my job due to the money and the fact that it's in walking distance. So I was looking at it like everything will be fine and didn't feel the need to job search right now. What Iam doing now after yesterday is creative job searching not the typical go to careerbuilder and browse job postings type of job search.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:

I consider this a good thing - your bills are paid off.

If you're nervous about your job security, keep the bills at zero. Cut your spending to the core and sock the money away.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
You have the security of knowing, now, that you can accept a casual or part time or temporary job that only pays enough to keep up with you daily living expenses, which can be cut as necessary. Now, you're in control of what you need to earn.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I think it is better to have paid off the bills and besides that you haven't been let go yet... maybe you won't.... if you were let go, at least you CAN adjust your lifestyle so that you can find some kind of work to make it through... if you didn't pay the bills off, you would be scrambling to find something to pay the bills and adjust your lifestyle (ie you may have turned down a job that didn't pay as much to your own detriment)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance