Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of jobs that one can get in this economy that would allow one to live on own, such as rent a house? I'd like something 35K plus but I don't want to go to school for any courses. Any particular restaurants? Any office work?

I cannot seem to get a job that pays me a living wage.
-Graduated from college with a bull sh** degree
-Took a white collar yet low paying job for a couple years
-Went back to school while working full-time and got Another degree in a great field doing a job that is absolutely my passion where I would be paid a decent salary
-Unable to get job in field because tons of people recently lost and are looking for jobs in the field, bad timing I suppose
-I've taken lesser jobs in the field than the position I'm qualified for but they pay just barely above minimum wage
-I have no student loans (helped to pay for part of first college and paid for second degree completely on own)
-I've volunteered in my field (there's just no jobs right now)
-I'm a small female that isn't great at science but I'm very intelligent and learn quickly.

However...

I am all schooled out!! I do not want to go back to school to learn anything new right now. I don't mind learning on the job though. I've had plenty of part-time jobs over the years and always catch on quickly.

Does anyone know of jobs that one can get in this economy that would allow one to live on own, such as rent a house? I'd like something 35K plus but I don't want to go to school for any courses. Any particular restaurants? Any office work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
It would help to know what type of education you have and where you live.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ Yeah... is that a secret?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
One world, Oilfield.

Anyone with a CDL including high school drop outs can make 45-100k easy here in the oilfield. I went to college but I make more money in the oilfield than I did with my college education. I spent 4,000 on a CDL at my local jr college on a CDL class that took 4wks and right out of class I got a job making 50k. I could make 75-100 easy by switching jobs but we're about to move.

Anyways, good oilfield jobs are in, West Texas (Odessa/Midland), San Antonio, Colorado, Wyomming, North Dekota.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
MOVE to somewhere where you can get a job. Sounds like you are only looking in the area where you live now. Look at other cities, other states. Sometimes certain cities/states are more depressed than others as far as certain industries. Find a town that has many fortune 500 companies. They have all kinds of jobs. Atlanta has many large corporations and it is fairly reasonable to live there as well.
Consider federal government work. They pay more when you have a degree and you can move up the ladder. If you lived near Wash DC, there are many more available, Though they are in all states. They are always hiring, as folks are constantly retiring.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
MOVE to somewhere where you can get a job. Sounds like you are only looking in the area where you live now. Look at other cities, other states.
Like North Dakota.
But first, save up a bunch of money. Hopefully, since you are living with your parents, you have been doing this already.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Like others have said, it may be the location you're looking that is holding you back. I'm in the DC Metro area and the unemployment rate here is much lower than the average of the US. The drawback is that everyone else knows it, so there is competition for the jobs because lots of individuals have moved here looking for work. Another drawback is that the cost of living is very high. Rent is high because landlords know they can charge a premium because of the stable economy here. I personally would not recommend you move to the DC Metro unless you have a job lined up. Your savings would quickly be drained just on living expenses. I'm not trying to keep you away, but just letting you know up front what you're in for. If you've got the right skill sets (Like an IT background), it's not too difficult to find work around the nation's capital.

As far as Gov't jobs, you'll find a lot of agencies have had hiring freezes enacted. Also they've enacted job cuts by attrition. So for every 3 people that or leave, they'll hire 1. At my current agency, we've been hit with an 11 million budget cut so programs have been cut and a few departments have been trimmed.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Join the Peace Corps.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I read somewhere that the Peace Corps is actually pretty competitive nowadays, having just any college degree and a pulse won't guarantee you a entry. They are also a lot older now with many middle-aged participants who have a lot of life/work experience to bring to the table.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by job7 View Post
I cannot seem to get a job that pays me a living wage.
where did you pick up that terminology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance