Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times

Advertisements

A lot of people lease, buy used, or are able to afford them (for the time being)... some might not even have car insurance on them... Its their choice to buy/lease the car they want... I don't hold it against them... I buy cars for convenience... for instance, my car automatically unlocks its door when I touch the door handle, automatically turns on the AC, automatically turns on the windshield wiper, automatically turns on the lights, has rear seat DVD player (for the kids), has a nav system, tells me how many miles left before I need to refuel, has a sunroof, and is an SUV with ample storage that can convert to third row seating (although not very comfortable)... and it cost me less than 35k after taxes... and I paid it off in a month :P The other option was to buy an 80k luxury car... but I am married so I don't need to try to make the ladies drool anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
People who drive $50K cars can't afford them. People who can afford $50K cars, drive $10K cars. That's how they are able to afford expensive cars, they don't blow it on stupid things like the latest, expensive cars..
The thrill of the fancy new car wears off far sooner than the payments end..!
Not really true.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
People who drive $50K cars can't afford them.
this is way too general of a statement to make to consider it to be anywhere near accurate.

my wife used to see a person in a fancy car and think they must be making a lot of money. but now she sees that they could be making a lot of money, or they could be way overextending themselves on a fancy car. it can go either way.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,567,497 times
Quote:
People who drive $50K cars can't afford them. People who can afford $50K cars, drive $10K cars. That's how they are able to afford expensive cars, they don't blow it on stupid things like the latest, expensive cars..
The thrill of the fancy new car wears off far sooner than the payments end..!
absolute rubbish.

I spend $10 on a 14 day holiday just today..... the 6th holiday in 2011 so far.

I've stayed in 5 star hotels nearly 200 days in the past 5 years....so Westin / Sheraton hotels tell me.
We've spend $200,000 on cars this year.... admittedly we don't do that regularly but we paid cash.... so are you telling me I can't afford it ?? Ohhh I didn't think so.

Don't judge people you know nothing about.

Only a fool generalises out loud to an educated audience.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If there is another stimulus, it is likely that there will be business vehicle purchase incentives. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
That would be good for me. Do you have a link on this? We have multiple cars through our business and would like to expand our fleet. Have some friends focused on the fleet business (e.g. mechanics) who are hurting because their customers have cut back their fleets.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That would be good for me. Do you have a link on this? We have multiple cars through our business and would like to expand our fleet. Have some friends focused on the fleet business (e.g. mechanics) who are hurting because their customers have cut back their fleets.
It's the best source.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM

615 posts, read 1,677,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!

^^^Does it really matter? I see TONS of people driving jags, benzes, etc....I may check 'em out as I walk/drive by, but as long as my bills are taken care of, etc....I don't care how anyone else manages their budget(s).

Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,175,980 times
When I see a nice car I think "nice car". It must really suck to have so much invested in how others live that it leads you to think "I bet they can't really afford it".

I can tell you the person driving that car probably doesn't spend a second thinking about you.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,436,918 times
I think that one reason why people can afford $50K vehicles is because the economic hard times aren't really felt by your boss's boss and your boss's boss's boss. Many in the upper tier are actually do quite well for themselves.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
absolute rubbish.

I spend $10 on a 14 day holiday just today..... the 6th holiday in 2011 so far.

I've stayed in 5 star hotels nearly 200 days in the past 5 years....so Westin / Sheraton hotels tell me.
We've spend $200,000 on cars this year.... admittedly we don't do that regularly but we paid cash.... so are you telling me I can't afford it ?? Ohhh I didn't think so.

Don't judge people you know nothing about.

Only a fool generalises out loud to an educated audience.
You're an exception. And the higher income folks can afford to pull it off with cash, as you said.

But I have known imbeciles with a paltry 60K per annum and making a monthly 1200$ Audi payment. What do you say for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance