Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
And I, for one, think that's cool. I drive a twelve-year-old car and refuse to air condition my home, but I spend a truly ridiculous amount of money on gourmet groceries, fine dining, and expensive wine. We all have our indulgences.
This^^^^^.

Cars don't mean anything to me. I drive a 2008 Hyundai and like it just fine. But I'm happy to buy ridiculously high-priced grass-fed beef and chicken at the Farmer's Market, or the "artisan" goat cheese that goes for $8 for 4 oz. Other people drive their Escalade through the McDonald's drive-through while I sniff in disdain. Whatever. Everybody has something they're willing to spend money on and can't believe what others spend their money on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,115,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
When you make that much money, wouldn't you want a nice car, a nice TV, etc. too? People who make money like to reward themselves as much as the next guy and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't quite see how that is showing off based on your assumptions since you really don't know anything about them.
It doesn't take "that much money" to afford a $80,000 car, especially if you lease it.

Luxury cars are just status symbols, the people that buy them feel some need to make others think they have money. Ironically, its usually low net-worth individuals that buy them....

Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,115,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
And I, for one, think that's cool. I drive a twelve-year-old car and refuse to air condition my home, but I spend a truly ridiculous amount of money on gourmet groceries, fine dining, and expensive wine. We all have our indulgences.
Not everyone blows money on useless things....and has such indulgences...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
my wife's cousin is always complaining about how they dont have money. but its very important to keep up appearances. in order to have a lexus, she bought one with a lot of mileage on it. yesterday she needed to take it for repair and it had some many issues that it wasnt worth fixing. now she is crying about not being able to afford a car. im sure she could afford a modest car.

its interesting to see things playing out there. they could be very comfortable but maintaining appearances and poor spending choices have made their lives more stressful than they need to be. plus, she seems to be unhappy with what she has no matter what, she thinks more money will solve her problems but it wouldnt.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,716,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
It doesn't take "that much money" to afford a $80,000 car, especially if you lease it.

Luxury cars are just status symbols, the people that buy them feel some need to make others think they have money. Ironically, its usually low net-worth individuals that buy them....
Not "that much money"? I make a decent salary but an average 36 month lease on a vehicle of that price with no money down would still be about $1300-$1400/ MONTH! That's a big chunk of income to pay towards a vehicle each month.

Most people concerned with keeping up appearances are leasing the lower-end basic luxury cars like a 3 Series or C-Class...not the S-Class. Almost anybody can afford a $400-$500/ month car payment but fewer can do 3X that each month.

The ones who drive the $90K-$100K S-Classes at my work are the top-level bosses and executives. I know three individuals who have an S550 here and I guarantee each is making over $200K/ year.

Ironically a new guy just started a month ago and last week he pulled up in a new BMW.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,716,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I'd also take issue with what you say about low net-worth individuals buying luxury cars. You'd almost have to break it up into demographics.

I WOULD agree that the 18-30 year old segment of the population driving luxury cars is probably either leasing them or buying them preowned and has the lowest net-worth of luxury car buyers. This segment is likely buying them to keep up with appearances, show off to their friends/coworkers, etc etc.

The 30-45 year old segment is probably split between folks who CAN afford a luxury car because they're working their way up the corporate latter and decide to indulge in something they've always wanted. The other half is still trying to keep up with appearances and can't really afford the car they buy.

The 45-65 year old segment ARE the captains of industry, the CEO/CFO's, the ones who have "made it". I'd say the majority of these individuals CAN afford what car they buy because they have the money in the bank. By this time most of the under 45 segment who were trying to keep up with appearances can no longer afford their cars and are not driving luxury vehicles anymore. I'd say the 45-65 age group are the bread and butter of the luxury car market.

Then you have the 65+ age group who buy luxury vehicles and have the means to purchase them. If they want it, they can afford it, they buy it.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Most people concerned with keeping up appearances are leasing the lower-end basic luxury cars like a 3 Series or C-Class...not the S-Class.
haha yeah, these are all over the place. people desperate to get a luxury brand to show the world they "made it" but cant afford anything but the lowest level available.

i think there is too much variation on this question to draw concrete conclusions on which group owns which car. my wife has a nicer car than me and is being upgraded soon, but she doesnt even have a paying job!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Most people concerned with keeping up appearances are leasing the lower-end basic luxury cars like a 3 Series or C-Class...not the S-Class. Almost anybody can afford a $400-$500/ month car payment but fewer can do 3X that each month.
I would rather drive a Honda than a C-class.... and I dislike Hondas. I don't get why people invest in benz without any tech in it. What good is the name on the outside?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would rather drive a Honda than a C-class.... and I dislike Hondas. I don't get why people invest in benz without any tech in it. What good is the name on the outside?
its hard for people who dont care about such things to really understand the thought process of someone who cares about appearances above all else. the fact that the name on the outside is "mercedes" is more important than whats on the inside.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,392,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
When I see a nice car I think "nice car". It must really suck to have so much invested in how others live that it leads you to think "I bet they can't really afford it".

I can tell you the person driving that car probably doesn't spend a second thinking about you.
LOL.... I was trying to explain that to posters on the "Hating On the Wealthy" thread who think most "self-serving rich people" driving around in old cars are doing so for affect as they want the poorer masses to think they are "humble." One of the most ridiculous things I've read on this "Business" forum. Agree 100% with your last line. Successful people tend to not obsess over trivial things such as what cars strangers drive and whether they can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance