Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I wonder what will happen if the credit unions start charging money, becoz believe it or not, in a world of evolving banking, nothing is going to be free forever, and that includes stone age institutions like credit unions too. At some point, they need to invent the wheel too and move forward.

And that's what is making me chuckle at this outrage.

If people think they can park their money for free in some place, they might as well dig a whole beside the dog kennel and put it in there, right? What is the need for a bank even?
People just don't like doing business with criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Saw an interesting piece on one of the financial shows recently. Prior to Dodd/Frank banks didn't make or loss money on 50% of checking accounts. With the new changes already written that number goes up to 70% of checking accounts not being profitable. As the unprofitable accounts flow from the big banks to credit unions and community banks their balance sheets will change and guess what! Banks are and can be selective about their client base by using fees to influence their customer base. Just like deciding to close branches in areas that aren't as profitable can also have a desired impact. The unfortunate point he also made was that late fees were the easiest way to make unprofitable accounts more profitable. He pointed out that some account holders kill them with bounced checks etc that they never make good etc, along with overdraft fees never paid. That might help explain why some banks require auto monthly deposits as part of their requirements for free or minimal cost accounts.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Saw an interesting piece on one of the financial shows recently. Prior to Dodd/Frank banks didn't make or loss money on 50% of checking accounts. With the new changes already written that number goes up to 70% of checking accounts not being profitable. As the unprofitable accounts flow from the big banks to credit unions and community banks their balance sheets will change and guess what! Banks are and can be selective about their client base by using fees to influence their customer base. Just like deciding to close branches in areas that aren't as profitable can also have a desired impact.
But there's a bigger problem than that.

Reduction of clientele is directly proportional to reduction of assets the banking institution holds.

It's technically a calibrated bank run where people pull their money out and shut their accounts down.

Reduction of assets is not good.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Reduction of clientele is directly proportional to reduction of assets the banking institution holds.
Reduction of assets is not good.
And if that was happening it would be disconcerting.

Singlelady seems to think that it is... but I am yet to see any evidence that customers with even modest deposits (above the minimums needed to avoid extra fees) are leaving in any substantial number; let alone the customers with actually substantial deposits and other business the Bank makes money with/for.

Anyway, I don't know what a reasonable allowance for costs associated with managing an account are but I'm sure it is far more than the $30 that $1500 on deposit @2% represents. That has to be made up somehow.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
I wonder what will happen if the credit unions start charging money, becoz believe it or not, in a world of evolving banking, nothing is going to be free forever, and that includes stone age institutions like credit unions too. At some point, they need to invent the wheel too and move forward.

If people think they can park their money for free in some place
, they might as well dig a whole beside the dog kennel and put it in there, right? What is the need for a bank even?
"Park my money for free"

Are you saying you EXPECT to pay to let others use your money?

If that's the case... do you have a couple million you want me to hold!?!

IF I were charged to 'use MY money' I'd pull it out and put it with the cash I keep in the gunsafe.
But then, I keep low 5 figures in the bank at all times.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"Park my money for free"

Are you saying you EXPECT to pay to let others use your money?

If that's the case... do you have a couple million you want me to hold!?!

IF I were charged to 'use MY money' I'd pull it out and put it with the cash I keep in the gunsafe.
But then, I keep low 5 figures in the bank at all times.
That's exactly what I said, dig a hole and bury it in your garden inside a chest. And when you get paid, have your employer deliver cash at your doorstep

Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I said, dig a hole and bury it in your garden inside a chest. And when you get paid, have your employer deliver cash at your doorstep
Gunsafe's easier.
Well, since there WILL be a bank that doesn't try to charge me to have the use of my money... I'll not worry about it...

Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As much as I don't like the fees, how many think nothing of five dollar latte's at Starbucks everyday?
I think it's far too expensive. I never go in there.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

If people think they can park their money for free in some place, they might as well dig a whole beside the dog kennel and put it in there, right? What is the need for a bank even?
Are you serious? You better believe I expect to "park my money for free". Banks make their money off of my money. I absolutely will not pay a bank a fee to "hold" my money.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 PM

324 posts, read 877,531 times
It's always been free to park money in the bank... Chamataka is just being ignorant / arrogant because he has an offshore account (which charges people to store their money) and feels everyone else should have one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance