Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

CLUE is the data base insurance companies use to see all your claims regardless of whos fault.

if you ever shop insurance they will use your clue report to determine your rates. even things like using roadside assistance thats sponsered by your insurance company will be in there.

insurers use that to get an insight into the type of person you may be.

driving a poorly maintained vehicle, locking your keys in the car ,running out of gas ,all portray you as not very responsible to an insurer.

there is a report for your auto insurance and one for home insurance.

just because you didnt get an increase from your company because of windshields doesnt mean they arent charging you for it. many times its measured in discounts you should be getting each year and arent.

a claim is a claim and insurers are very good at getting the money back.

an accident i had decades ago had my insurer not raising me but for years i lost the increasing safe driver discount i should have gotten all along.

when i got married i looked into the company my wife had. well even though geico never raised me for a stolen airbag and mirror the new company checked clue and gave me an outragious rate for the claims.

you are entitled to one free clue report a year. you can get it here. make sure the info logged is correct.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...le/landing.jsp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
This is NOT true. Yes, insurers can see your claims on a CLUE report but by law, there are certain types of claims that cannot be used to raise your rates--your example of a windshield is one of them. If you have EXCESSIVE windshield claims, say a new windshield every 6 months 4 years in a row, they may DROP you though.

The CLUE report shows exactly what kind of claim it is, collision, comprehensive, etc.

All rates and charges insurance companies use have to be filed with the state every year. An agent can't just give you a higher rate because he wants to earn more money....

In all those years you didn't have that safe driving discount, how many times did you meet with your agent to review your policies??

Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Your own company may not raise you but everything from using roadside assistance from geico instead of aaa to claims on windshields are used by other companies to compute a quote if your shopping around as well as determining whether they will even give you glass coverage..

EXCERPT FROM CONSUMER REPORTS
"did you know?

A tow could boost your car insurance premium

Using an insurance company’s roadside assistance or towing benefits too often could affect your rates (and not in a nice way) or even your eligibility for coverage. Some auto insurers consider your calls for roadside assistance to be negatives, just like accident claims. State Farm, the nation’s largest insurer, says the use of roadside assistance is a very small factor in calculating rates or considering a driver’s insurability. Some insurers report roadside assistance calls made under their policies to ChoicePoint, an Alpharetta, Ga., company that compiles claims information for the insurance industry. Nationwide Insurance and Geico say they report the information but don’t use it in their policy decisions. Allstate says it doesn’t report usage by members of the Allstate Motor Club, but it does report towing claims made under its insurance policies."

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM

some interesting reading

DECLINE GLASS COVERAGE: Some insurance companies will report all claims to C.L.U.E., including glass claims. For instance, Allstate reports claims made against your "full glass coverage" under your automobile insurance policy. For this reason, it may be advisable not to take "full glass coverage". In New York, Allstate will elect not to renew your policy if the frequency and severity of your losses is excessive. For instance, Allstate has declined to renew the writer's auto insurance policy in Long Island, NY due to the policy holder making 4 claims in less than 5 years. The 4 claims consisted of: 1) a stolen & recovered car; 2) a windshield cracked by snow; 3) a windshield cracked by a stone on the highway; and 4) an accident where a witness said the Allstate insured ran a red light, but the police report found otherwise, citing the other driver for failure to yield right-of-way when it made a left turn in front of the Allstate insured. The windshields were replaced by Safelite Auto Glass, an Allstate authorized repair center. Allstate claims that they spent $367.00 and $447.00 on each of the windshields, for a 1986 Honda Prelude, however, Safelite will sell them, installed at your home, to a retail customer for less than $150.00 each. Even at Allstate's price, the cost of the windshields were far less than the amount of premium increase suffered by the Allstate Insured. Allstate refused to renew the policy and offered to insure their insured with Allstate Indemnity resulting in a total premium increase costing almost $5,000!!!

Avoiding Premium Increase and Risk Assignment and Making Your Car Insurance Inexpensive | Comfort Auto Insurance

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-01-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some interesting reading

DECLINE GLASS COVERAGE: Some insurance companies will report all claims to C.L.U.E., including glass claims. For instance, Allstate reports claims made against your "full glass coverage" under your automobile insurance policy. For this reason, it may be advisable not to take "full glass coverage". In New York, Allstate will elect not to renew your policy if the frequency and severity of your losses is excessive. For instance, Allstate has declined to renew the writer's auto insurance policy in Long Island, NY due to the policy holder making 4 claims in less than 5 years. The 4 claims consisted of: 1) a stolen & recovered car; 2) a windshield cracked by snow; 3) a windshield cracked by a stone on the highway; and 4) an accident where a witness said the Allstate insured ran a red light, but the police report found otherwise, citing the other driver for failure to yield right-of-way when it made a left turn in front of the Allstate insured. The windshields were replaced by Safelite Auto Glass, an Allstate authorized repair center. Allstate claims that they spent $367.00 and $447.00 on each of the windshields, for a 1986 Honda Prelude, however, Safelite will sell them, installed at your home, to a retail customer for less than $150.00 each. Even at Allstate's price, the cost of the windshields were far less than the amount of premium increase suffered by the Allstate Insured. Allstate refused to renew the policy and offered to insure their insured with Allstate Indemnity resulting in a total premium increase costing almost $5,000!!!

Avoiding Premium Increase and Risk Assignment and Making Your Car Insurance Inexpensive | Comfort Auto Insurance
I realize everything is reported to CLUE, the point is not everything ON CLUE is used to jack up rates. The lost vehicle and the large accident claim prompted the insured to be dropped...the glass claims were just icing on the cake. This insured would NOT have been dropped just for the 2 glass claims, which is what the article, which is misleading, suggests. Of course adding glass coverage costs more, it's an added coverage, just like adding extra liability coverage would increase your premiums.

It is ILLEGAL to increase rates for comprehensive claims---hail, collisions with animals, glass, vandalism, etc. It is possible to lose a claim free discount but your actual rate can not be increased, BY LAW.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM

if your shopping for a new company every comprehensive claim counts no matter who's fault.

a stolen air bag and a mirror and the quotes that came back were horrible compared to what i was paying . i have geico and have excellent rates after 40 years with them but i wanted to maybe go on my wifes insurance when we first got married. all-state came and progressive came back with rediculious rates and told me its because clue shows claims regardless of the fact it wasnt my fault.

show me the law that says other wise? im not aware of any here in new york.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if your shopping for a new company every comprehensive claim counts no matter who's fault.

a stolen air bag and a mirror and the quotes that came back were horrible compared to what i was paying . i have geico and have excellent rates after 40 years with them but i wanted to maybe go on my wifes insurance when we first got married. all-state came and progressive came back with rediculious rates and told me its because clue shows claims regardless of the fact it wasnt my fault.

show me the law that says other wise? im not aware of any here in new york.
Feel free to look up your state insurance laws a stolen air bag and a mirror are theft and are not comprehensive claims....yes, those would impact your rates, just like any fault assigned in an accident would but real comp claims would not.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

your confused ,its either collision which is surchargeable or comprehensive which takes in theft and may or may not be surchargeable depending on your state..

Auto theft is covered under the comprehensive section of an
auto insurance policy. Theft coverage applies to the loss of
the vehicles as well as parts of the car such as air bags.
Comprehensive coverage, which is not mandatory, also pays
for fire, vandalism and weather-related damage including
damage from flooding and earthquakes.

as far as whether your insurer can raise you for a comprehensive claim its state specific. new york will not allow your company to raise you but they do allow other companies to take all claims of any type into consideration when quoting you a premium as a potential new customer.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-01-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance