Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM

26 posts, read 75,810 times

Advertisements

I have a whole life policy and its got a cash value of 13k, 3k of which is dividends and monthly premium payments that have been made since it was opened 20 years ago

I am in the process of closing on a house and I was worried that I would not have enough to close, so I took out a small amount ($1000) as a loan from my whole life policy just incase I was short a little bit, I was planning to on paying it all back if I didnt need it.

Well I got the check thursday and deposited it (i have all documentation that the loan came from my policy and not some crazy off shore account, for the underwriter), and friday I signed on the house, closing date is this thursday (yay), i had mentioned to the loan officer that I did take out a loan, but it doesnt require a a repayment, but they (the mortgage place) would consider it a loan if it showed up on my credit report. my loan officer was telling me that loans get denied even after signing because people go out and spend a bunch on their CCs and take out loans and such right before they get the keys, and I am now worried that if this loan shows up on the credit report even though the payment will be sent to pay it off will be sent sometime this week that I will be denied.

I tried googling it, and I wasnt able to find out whether or not it shows on the report or not.

Sorry for so much just for a simple question.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 AM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
most likely no since very little is reported by insurance companies when it comes to life insurance.. it used to be said that if you wanted to hide money from bankruptsey courts throw the money into single premium insurance plans.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,219,992 times
You could create a taxable event if the CSV + Gains is greater than premiums paid... FYI

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM

good to know and thanks, but i dont think that answers the question?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

568 posts, read 963,141 times
No, it will not show up on you CC report.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM

cool cool

is the reason why because its a interest only type of loan or because its 'backed' by the value of the policy? just wondering in case someone else asks and i can answer and explain

thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You could create a taxable event if the CSV + Gains is greater than premiums paid... FYI
Not with a loan, a distribution, yes, but not with a loan...another bonus of whole life policies

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not with a loan, a distribution, yes, but not with a loan...another bonus of whole life policies
was thinking the samething

Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 PM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
heres a novel idea! Save the extra whole life premium, get term and put the difference in the bank or your own investments. You wont have to borrow back your own money,you will have the money.

nice folks at the insurance company,,, they will let you borrow back your own money and charge you interest to do so.

many will reduce or suspend your dividend too on the amount borrowed so check your policy.

Yep thats a big bonus....... Not!

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-05-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
heres a novel idea! Save the extra whole life premium, get term and put the difference in the bank or your own investments. You wont have to borrow back your own money,you will have the money.

nice folks at the insurance company,,, they will let you borrow back your own money and charge you interest to do so.

many will reduce or suspend your dividend too on the amount borrowed so check your policy.

Yep thats a big bonus....... Not!
I know, I know but the 9+% rate of return I have gotten over the past 20 years of owning these (and the 6% I am still getting in this down economy) is WAY better then the .005% savings account rate....no suspensions of dividends either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance