Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:06 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
lottery is one of the biggest lies.
When the NY Lotto started decades ago somebody I knew casually called it "The Stupid Tax". That has alway stuck with me because that's exactly how I feel about it too: taking more money from working class mooks who are praying for lightning to strike them every week when that amount invested weekly over 20+ years in an S&P fund instead..... Hoping for magic instead of a boring sure thing.

Funny thing: about 25+ years ago there was a huge Powerball drawing making the news & for the first time ever I bought $10 worth & won about $125. I figured I would quit while I was ahead of the game & pretty much did... other than the occasional workplace pool for the "super" lotteries for fun.

I still came out ahead & never play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So is financial investing [for the mathematically challenged].
Ummm... I have a math degree and became an actuary. I chose the investing route- haven't bought a lottery ticket in my life. Retired 5 years ago at age 61 with an enviable nest egg. Hefe's post above echoes my thoughts exactly, and reading follow-up stories on some of the winners is pretty heartbreaking. You have a different relationship with your money if you got it the slow way, a few dollars at a time.

And I know one actuary who was a consultant to Powerball years ago as a side gig!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverclearone View Post
My husband years ago got a scratch off and somehow thought he had won $100,000 and I watched him go through every emotion on this earth in about 5 minutes. When it was over and he realized it was $20 near as I can remember) I about died laughing. I just kept saying "Calm down honey, I don't think you did." He wouldn't listen to me as usual.
Oh, it must have been terrible when he realized that he hadn't. He not only didn't win but you were laughing at him.

Told you.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
Sometimes the lottery is the only way to get to the place you need to go. Say you want to buy the family farm. Your spouse doesn’t want to liquidate everything you have accumulated over a lifetime and move to another state. So you buy $82 worth of lottery tickets for the “Big Five” every month until the farm is sold.

So far, it looks like I’m never gonna own the family farm. But I’ll keep buying those lottery tickets until the auctioneer’s hammer falls. Heck, maybe I need to start doubling up every month...

Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
When the NY Lotto started decades ago somebody I knew casually called it "The Stupid Tax".
If you bet with your head, it can be entertaining. When I do pay, which is every few weeks, its just enough to buy one of each of the three big drawing tickets, one Mega Millions, one Power ball and one for the state lottery jackpot. This way I have a "chance" of winning but I'm not breaking the bank doing it. While buying more tickets does increase your odds, it's not enough to justify spending my whole paycheck on lottery tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance