Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times

Advertisements

People with a good income that think $150 on a coat is crazy to spend may have different logic and goals than someone else with a good income. If you look up the financials of most luxury brands like Tiffany's, you will find that they are doing better than regular bargain stores because they are in demand.

I don't see anything wrong with buying a $150 coat if you have no debt, savings and a good career. In fact, people should treat themselves to a spurge once in a while. Most of my friends have Apple products but it's because they can afford them.

I think people shouldn't stand outside when you don't know what's going on inside someone elses house. I also know people that are extremely well off, have huge 700k homes and Mercedes but are in more debt than people on food stamps. So people of all classes make poor decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Maybe I'm the only one noticing this, but several friends and people I know have an Apple iPhone 4s, the latest iPad 3, every video game system, every new blu-ray DVD, but they don't hold a job or at least doing minimum wage, living on credit cards, don't own a home and have absolutely no savings. Do people simply give up at a certain point and basically say "screw it" and live day to day? Do you know anyone else like this?
I am with you on this one big time. I am aware that there are bonfide poor. However, if people look more closely at all those stats that they use of the poor in the country, I would not be surprised that many are so called poor out of their own ineficiency on how to manage their money.

I do a lot community volunteer service out there and I have seen many "poor" people out there getting food stamps and all kinds of social help with the latest electronic gadgets, expensive sports teams clothing, buying fast food meals most of the time, at least two cars, etc.

That is why I am very much against many social programs in the sense that they do not take a closer look on who really need the help and simply give without checking much. Take care.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
poverty in america is still having an iphone, ipad, big hd television, computer and internet, food and health insurance covered and more. but its not enough!
If this is what poverty is (I-phone, I-pad, health Insurance) then I'm not even rich enough to qualify for that...what's LOWER than poverty level, that's the level I'm at...
I have none of the latest gadgets, and really have NO desire to want them...but I do like having a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a way to get to the store when necessary...guess my priorities are screwed up...

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
If this is what poverty is (I-phone, I-pad, health Insurance) then I'm not even rich enough to qualify for that...what's LOWER than poverty level, that's the level I'm at...
I have none of the latest gadgets, and really have NO desire to want them...but I do like having a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a way to get to the store when necessary...guess my priorities are screwed up...
You may not like what I am about to write but I must ask since you put yourself in the discussion.

I wonder if you are that poor you have a computer and the time to be writing. If I was that poor like my dad was early in life, there would no money to have a computer and spend the time to be debating. My dad and countless others today spend their time trying to make it by working most of the day, being thrifty, etc.

When I was a private in the Army when I first enlisted back in '78 my pay was very low. I had a wife and two children. When the car broke I literally used duct tape, even a nail to get it to run. I would not consider buying a computer if they existed. When the car finally broke to the point of no repair, I hitchiked to work in the mornings, hitchhiked from there to evening college classes, and then hitchiked home.

When people are really poor and do their utmost to survive and provide for their loved one, they do not spend time on things like surfing in the internet, buying computers, etc.

What was the secret my wife had always had? Live within our means and computers or other luxuries had to wait until we could afford them. Now, I can afford something I could not in the past so I now do indulge in more things, still within our means. Take care.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times
In response to the OP's original question, I have my own theory about why people teetering on the brink o' broke always have to have their gadgets. And I base this theory on having a couple of friends who are far worse off than me but who have a serious butt-load of techno-goodies, e.g., plasma televisions, iPods, Android phones, etc.

To put it simply, these people already know what they cannot afford. They can't afford a new Lexus. They can't afford to vacation overseas for two weeks each year. Or indulge in weekly dinners at four-star joints. But when they get a refund from the IRS for a couple of grand, their natural impulse is to spend it on stuff that keeps them entertained at home — and they do spend a lot of time at home, after all.

I have mixed feelings about this. I have a friend who, when on food stamps and TANF benefits, had outfitted her house with an elaborate t.v. set up, complete with the whole Netflix on demand. My own television is 20 years old ... but then again, I don't spend my free time watching television. I'd rather travel or invest in a more reliable vehicle.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
I would like to find time to watch TV. I guess the free loaders will watch it for me and I can ask them if the shows were good.

GET A JOB!
Get a financial education
If you are able to work, get some pride and get a job

Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM

We pay for their basics and they "find" money (wala) to get the extras. Its like supporting our kids who have not grown up yet. And all the while crying they want more.

(again, if you can't work or in a bad time (after working all your life) this is not meant for you.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM

I remember before the big tech times the big rave was beanie babies lol. This was to me the silliest thing in the world. People (welfare) I know were buying them like hotcakes. "they are going to be worth a lot of money some day they would say, ooo, aaaaahhh how cute they thought they were. They were going to be rich but until that day came to pass "wheres my check and food stamps"

Some people don't have a clue

Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 PM

An honestly I think what the OP wants to say is, I work hard and I can't afford it so how can people who collect welfare afford it. Yes, get used to it. you are rewarded for not working too. Its disheartening to working people. Dare say anything to welfare people and they will look at you with a like you are from Mars.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 AM

While I am at it, yes this subject is touchy with me. The person that has a computer, my brother who works 5 days a week can't afford a decent computer. Ironically he brought it over today hoping I could fix it but with a bad video card and it being such a dinosaur I am not sure it is worth it. So if you are on welfare and have a computer consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance