Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Wow.
I feel so sorry for all these adults who effed up a kid's life and now have to pay to feed and clothe him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 PM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wow.
I feel so sorry for all these adults who effed up a kid's life and now have to pay to feed and clothe him.
Tell that to my addict of an ex-wife. I pay it all plus child support even though our daughter lives with me. Child $upport is another term for indentured servitude. Both parents should be required to support the children they brought into this world.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
see if you can get the child to return some of the money that wasnt given to him to aid in his upbringing. see if you can get him to suspend his needs going forward until your husband is in a better financial position.
I see you there but lets not pretend that people don't really get taken to the cleaners and have their lives ruined over this stuff. It's really a nightmare where nobody wins except the attorneys of course.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Threads like these convinced me to get a vascectomy and never marry. Any financial problems a single guy can cause for himself will usually pale in comparison.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
It's an imperfect system for sure. If you have two mature adults who genuinely want to work together for the best of the child, it usually works out ok.

But when one person really wants to twist the screws to the other, it can get muddy very fast and usually only benefits the lawyers who seem to have a checklist of things to contest to drive up their billable hours.

Just keep in mind, you only really hear about the horror stories and that's what sticks in your mind. I pay CS, I see my kid all the time, we both negotiate the extras and no big deal and no scary stories to tell here unfortunately. Pretty boring actually.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
OP is old but i read it and smelled BS. You shouldnt have waited until you had a garnishment to ask for it to be lowered. You should have been talking to them long before that.

If they are taking ALL your taxes + youre paying and youre STILL in arrears, then im sorry, you owe way too much! No wonder they garnished you! I dont think you were paying like you claim tbh.

They also dont call you up and say " hey, is it ok if we garnish your wages/bank account".

----
Pay your child support as much as possible and be responsible! I, like many others, do every month, you can too IF you wanted.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The bank cannot refuse to enforce a court ordered or government/IRS/child support garnishment.

https://www.fair-debt-collection.com...rnishment.html

And this garnishment does not mean that the bank has PAID $8000 and is waiting to get reimbursed. The garnishment is like a hold in this case - it's against future deposits.

This garnishment, or "bank levy" can be challenged:
What can I do if DOR/CSE seizes -

https://www.garnishmentlaws.org/bank...t-garnishment/
Might be a state by state thing, and I've been out of banking for nearly twenty years, but the banks I worked for never placed holds for future deposits that would never show up...they took what was there, they took their fee and it was over, account closed or judgement satisfied. If the judgement amount was 8K and they only had 1K, the judgement wasn't satisfied, but the account was closed. The account holder could open a new account, but it was up to the court to send out more paperwork to get more money, not up to the bank to remember or take it upon themselves to get the courts money.

The OP said the bank overdrew her account to pay the judgement. I took her at her word, even though I thought she was probably wrong. However, I have knowledge of banks doing to stupid things similar to that, like in the case with a domestic partnership couple, and the accounts were held in joint tenancy. One partner died. The parents of the deceased walked into the bank with a death certificate and got the bank to close the accounts. Totally wrong, saw the paperwork, saw the lawsuit....and the bank really didn't want to make this guy whole again...they eventually did....plus damages. People are human, they make mistakes....I made a few doozies in my time, but luckily most were fixable and the biggie netted the bank a great property, and got a scammer off the streets.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's an imperfect system for sure. If you have two mature adults who genuinely want to work together for the best of the child, it usually works out ok.

But when one person really wants to twist the screws to the other, it can get muddy very fast and usually only benefits the lawyers who seem to have a checklist of things to contest to drive up their billable hours.

Just keep in mind, you only really hear about the horror stories and that's what sticks in your mind. I pay CS, I see my kid all the time, we both negotiate the extras and no big deal and no scary stories to tell here unfortunately. Pretty boring actually.
Your situation is actually the most common. My BIL paid his CS for his sons, saw them regularly, and then when my sister and he adopted my niece, his ex-wife included her on outings and weekends she took with the boys and cousins. It was all very friendly and respectful and about the children.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
Dont marry a man who has to pay child support...unless you really love him.......................lol.
Exactly! I wont even date men with kids. My two already cost plenty.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

And for every story like yours... we have one like mine.

My sons father gets four overnights a month. Last Friday was his weekend. I called him when our child got off the school bus and informed him asthmatic son was sick, struggling to breath and I was taking him to hospital. Let him know where and asked him to meet me and said e could take him afterwards. I get a message back that he refuses to drive to the hospital and I am court ordered to meet him at 6 no matter what... he is as useless as **** on a boar.

You can't make this **** up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance