Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times

Advertisements

Well, the lovely news here in Broward County, Florida is that our HOI, starting December will go from 2400 to 4500 a year...Check out my screen name. Our property taxes are currently 3400/year, with no projected increase this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 PM

96 posts, read 457,933 times
Default Stuck in the sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I live in the country near Springfield, Missouri and homes here are pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the country. Mine was built in 1993, solid brick and real wood plank interior wall construction, including real thick wooden high quality planks horizontally under the roof with handbuilt, not stapled, no particle board, thick trusses and real bracing, raised about five ft. off the ground on cement pilings and bolted, 7" thick brick walls, cathedral and tray ceilings, two sets of French doors leading from the breakfast room and master bedroom to a house-length wooden deck with built in seating along the entire length, 4.3 acres with a blacktop paved and sealed driveway, half park-like, half forested, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 3 car huge cavernous garage, fireplace, custom kitchen with tile floors in kitchen, laundry room, all bathrooms, a custom home that would run easily a million or more in most parts of the west or east coasts. Yet my insurance cost is only $1,055 this year and that's for replacement costs plus $50,000 for unanticipated expenses, covered for fire, tornadoes, wind, ice storms, hail, and liability should someone be injured on my property, etc. That also includes $150,000 for personal contents. My house is valued at $230,000!!! (told ya it's cheap here!). I have Farmer's Insurance and they told me all the parameters of what makes the cost what the cost is when they sent out the inspectors to determine my premium. Brick exterior, new asphalt shingle roof, rain gutters with spouts that are properly situated to ferry water away from the house, a sump pump that has an underground pipe that comes out of the ground downhill from the house, tile floors, custom detailing around doors, windows, arched windows, etc. all go into the cost analysis. I also get a discount for having my auto insurance with Farmers too. My property taxes run about $1100/yr. I used to pay $2200 in Las Vegas
Amazing! I'll be checking out Farmers Ins. I now feel like the victim of a robbery....my premium for last year was just over $1000. which has increased over 3 years from $350. My entire house would fit in your garage. It's 53 yrs old and is "appraised" at $75,000. On the one hand it is a blessing that it is under actual market value, but on the other hand it will keep the sale price lower than it could be if had been appraised correctly. Either way, I am here forever. On a fixed income there is no escape.....OOOOO wait.....do you need a live in housekeeper??? LOL

Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Wink And ya'll think Texas is "cheap"

Dallas County, Texas

State Farm Insurance
2005 $2520
2006 $3040
*we will be going w/ Farmers as soon as the claim from hail damage drops off in a few months. Already moved vehicles over to Farmers and saved $$$. We do have a high amount of personal possessions insured and w/ full replacement value on everything house and all contents. Home appraised at $500k

Property Taxes
2006 $11,464
*same appraised property value for 2005

BUT, we have no state income tax.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM

46 posts, read 259,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Dallas County, Texas

State Farm Insurance
2005 $2520
2006 $3040
*we will be going w/ Farmers as soon as the claim from hail damage drops off in a few months. Already moved vehicles over to Farmers and saved $$$. We do have a high amount of personal possessions insured and w/ full replacement value on everything house and all contents. Home appraised at $500k

Property Taxes
2006 $11,464
*same appraised property value for 2005

BUT, we have no state income tax.
Just beware! I once had Farmers, and had a claim; suffice to say, I will never have Farmers again!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Default It's expensive owning a home

Between homeowners insurance, taxes that go up every year, HOA fees, it was cheaper for me to rent than to buy. I really don't get any real satisfaction out of being a homeowner. The way I see it, it's a *****. It's long term renting any way you look at it. With a 30 yr mortgage, you are never going to pay it off. Most people move every 5-7 yrs anyway and start all over again. Sometimes I think about selling my place and going back to renting an apt. If anything broke, I just called maintenance to fix it.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,572 times
3/2/2 all brick 1958 sq foot house in Huntsville AL. HOI = $850/year and property taxes are $707/year. House would sell for around $175K-$200K.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Navarre Florida
Taxes: 2005 $945 2006 $975
Insurance: 2005 $1,100 2006 $1,500
No claims, house value at $255K 1820 SQ
Taking 30K in exceptions for homestead and disable veteran

This might be a bit long, but is worth your time:

STATE OF FLORIDA ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
TO QUALIFY FOR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION

WHEN TO FILE: Application for all exemptions must be made between January 1 and March 1 of the tax year. However, at the option of the property appraiser, (original homestead exemption applications may be accepted after April 1, but will apply to the succeeding year). Initial application should be made in person at the Property Appraiser's office. Subsequent yearly renewal of exemption status may be made by mail. Failure to make application by March l of the tax year shall constitute a waiver of the exemption privilege for that year.

$25,000.00 HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION: Every person who has legal or equitable title to real property in the State of Florida and who resides thereon and in good faith makes it his or her permanent home is eligible. First time applicants are required to furnish their social security number, and should have available evidence of ownership i.e., a recorded deed or a recorded contract.

Information required at time of application:

1. Resident Florida Drivers License (self, spouse and all other property owners).
2. Florida Voter's Registration Card, or Declaration of Domicile.
3. Resident Florida Automobile Registrations for all vehicles.
4. Social Security Numbers of all owners.
5. Copy of Trust (when applicable) trust must reflect equitable title to real estate as to support claim for homestead exemption.
6. Manufactured Home Title or Registration (when applicable)

Manufactured home must have been on property as of January 1; must have Real Property decal; deed; title and decal must have been transferred into your name prior to filing for Homestead Exemption.

$25,000.00 SENIOR EXEMPTION: An additional homestead exemption for persons 65 and older whose household income does not exceed a specified amount. The tax exemption applies to only the county and city portions of the tax.

$500.00 WIDOW'S EXEMPTION: Any widow who is a permanent Florida resident may claim this exemption. If the widow remarries, she is no longer eligible. If the husband and wife were divorced before his death, the woman is not considered a widow. You may be asked to produce a death certificate when filing for the first time.

$500.00 WIDOWER'S EXEMPTION: Any widower who is a permanent Florida resident may claim this exemption. If the widower remarries he is no longer eligible. If the husband and wife were divorced before her death, the man is not considered a widower. You may be asked to produce a death certificate when filing for the first time.

$500.00 DISABILITY EXEMPTION: Every Florida resident who is totally and permanently disabled qualifies for this exemption. Furthermore, any service man disabled at least 10% in war or by service-connected misfortune is entitled to a $5,000 exemption. If filing for the first time, please present at least one of the following as proof of your disability: if totally and permanently disabled, a certificate from two (2) professionally unrelated licensed Florida physicians or a certificate from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

$5,000.00 VETERANS DISABILITY EXEMPTION: Any ex-service member, a bona fide resident of the state, who has been disabled to a degree of 10 percent or more while serving during a period of wartime service as defined in s.1.01(14), or by misfortune, is entitled to the exemption from taxation provided for in s. 3(b), Art. VII of the State Constitution. If filing for the first time, please present a certificate from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

$500.00 EXEMPTION FOR BLIND PERSONS: Every Florida resident who is blind qualifies for this exemption. When claiming this exemption a certificate from the Division of Blind Services of the Department of Education or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs certifying the applicant to be blind is required. "Blind person" is defined as an individual having central vision acuity 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting glasses, or a disqualifying field defect in which the peripheral field has contracted to such an extent that the widest diameter or visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than twenty degrees.

SERVICE-CONNECTED TOTAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY EXEMPTION: Any honorably discharged veteran with a service connected total and permanent disability is entitled to exemption on real estate used and owned as a homestead less any portion thereof used for commercial purposes.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Oregon here. Home Owner's Insurance, with no claims, increased slightly to $400. Property taxes for 2006, stayed about the same at $1,800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance