Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,701,415 times

Advertisements

How do we afford things? Well, for starters, I do without a lot of things, even things that are essential.

Visits to dentist are rare. I am long overdue.

Clothes: no splurging here. Basically jeans and such. Second hand when it works. Buy new if real cheap and set stuff aside.

Use it up or do without.

No idiotic junk food or fast food. No food products, just basic foods. Coupon clip and make cheap eats from scratch.

Vacations: what's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The poor on AID may get the cellphone for free, but THEY have to pay for the cards to CONTINUE service. If they don't use the phone at least once a month, then it will get cut off. If they do not have the money to continue purchasing cards to use it, the government (or whomever is giving it to them) will cut them off.

NOTHING IS FREE FROM THE GOVERNMENT. NOTHING.
If they have internet service, isn't Magic Jack about thirty dollars a year?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM

840 posts, read 1,148,613 times
Because while the few bucks they earned are used to buy liquor to cope with their sad situation, suckers like you and me are guilt tripped into paying for their sustaining basics because they don't have enough money for it.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If they have internet service, isn't Magic Jack about thirty dollars a year?
Does this really work? I don't know anyone that personally has it and you know the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, then..."

Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,717,716 times
The 'whole country' seems to be driving a brand new 50k SUV and i consistently say "how do people do it".

I know a guy who makes at least 75k per year, he lives like a hermit, has no wife, no GF, no kids, no pets and he's basically living paycheck to paycheck.

I walk around Whole (paycheck) Foods and the place is jam packed, how can average joe's afford to fill up a shopping cart at this place?

I consider myself a fairly smart person, but when it comes to 'how people do it' i feel like a 3rd grader, i got nothin when it comes to understanding how people do this.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM

373 posts, read 644,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
OK so how else to describe this. Two families both have 2 kids and are living in similar homes.

The no income family:

Gets free or reduced housing, free food, does not pay taxes, gets additonal money that they did not earn from the IRS, gets free healthcare, and other benefits that I don't even know exist. If they have kids those kids eat breakfast and lunch free at school.

The errors in this is what spreads the negativity towards welfare. I am low income, making less than $30k a year at the most. This year it will be closer to the $20k. We get food stamps, free lunch, medical assistance for the kids only, wic for my son and EITC. We do not get any help with our mortgage. Nothing.

Oh and in a hcol area the $1300 I pay for my mortgage payment is cheap!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why can't the single Mom go back to school or work a second job to improve her situation?

Well for me I do not have the energy or time to go back to school, nor do I know what to go to school to learn. Also having two kids prevents me from working two jobs. Working one is hard enough with the cost of daycare. I can't go to the grocery store by myself let alone finding time to work another job.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post

Clothes: no splurging here. Basically jeans and such. Second hand when it works. Buy new if real cheap and set stuff aside.
So very true! A friend gave me a $10 off any purchase coupon for Kohls. I managed to get two shirts for $3.00 out of pocket after the coupons. This is how we clothe ourselves. I cherish those coupons and friends give them to me because of how much we need the help.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
Because while the few bucks they earned are used to buy liquor to cope with their sad situation, suckers like you and me are guilt tripped into paying for their sustaining basics because they don't have enough money for it.
That is not true. I never buy alcohol, never smoked and have never tried drugs. I use coupons and sales to stretch my food stamps.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM

929 posts, read 2,093,669 times
Poor people don't try and buy everything. They stick with the necessities and forget about everything else. It's food, shelter, utilities, and transportation. Nothing else really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance