Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Dave Ramsey is not a financial expert he is a debtors anon 12 step voice crying in the wilderness
He does not care if you get rich he just does not want u to be a spendthrift like your parents
I think this is pretty accurate for both Orman and Ramsey. As I've said before, they both aim to get people into what author Jean Chatzky would call "financially comfortable". Some folks with higher incomes or very aggressive savers (saving more than Ramsey's recommended 15%) would make it into the "rich" category.

For those interested in reading one of the better financial books, I recommend Jean Chatzky's The Difference. She's not preachy like Dave Ramsey or flashy like Suze Orman. She just lays out the money habits and traits of the most well of people and then gives people the information on how to get there. A lot of it is psychological.

The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times: Jean Chatzky: 9780307407146: Amazon.com: Books

It's one of the most underrated books on personal finance, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight12am View Post
He's unrealistic because he tells people to get 2nd or 3rd or sometimes even a 4th job i think i heard him say before. He doesn't understand that people aren't robots, and some people value leisure time and don't obsess over making money like he does.
Well the people are calling his radio show because they are having problems with money. It would seem their valuing their leisure time and non-robotic lifestyles haven't worked out well for them.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:39 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
both cater to financial misfits and to folks committing financial suicide. sure they value leisure, spending and time more, that is what got them into the mess usually. most of these same folks devote hours to researching a car ,a refrigerator or sports. not one second goes into their financial lives.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,384,556 times
Well maybe you'd be better off with Suze ..... Dave destroyed this man's life !!!!

Musical Instruments /Guitars Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Old 07-12-2014, 03:05 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
with all his legal issues i still would take ray lucia over both of them any day.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:13 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,699 times
Neither. They both are pretty awful, for different reasons. I haven't read much through this thread, but I did notice that one of the commenters is a Ramsey follower, and that she was a financial advisor. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it pretty scary that someone who manages others life savings would need the guidance of a guru to get her own monetary affairs in order. And Dave doesn't offer sophisticated advice, just the basics of how to keep the lights on. This is not someone I would want anywhere near my money.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,028,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Neither. They both are pretty awful, for different reasons. I haven't read much through this thread, but I did notice that one of the commenters is a Ramsey follower, and that she was a financial advisor. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it pretty scary that someone who manages others life savings would need the guidance of a guru to get her own monetary affairs in order. And Dave doesn't offer sophisticated advice, just the basics of how to keep the lights on. This is not someone I would want anywhere near my money.
Haha. That's pretty bad...

Ramsey and Orman are for the seriously financial illiterate. Anything above the basics, and even then on some points they're still bad, see better sources of advice.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,841,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwish View Post
What do you guys think is Dave Ramsey the best at personal finance? Or is it Suze Orman?

If you like someone else please let me know and why?
Try Bob Brinker. Just common sense investing...no showboating or grandstanding. Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker

Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well maybe you'd be better off with Suze ..... Dave destroyed this man's life !!!!

Musical Instruments /Guitars Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
That guy.
Is awesome hilarious!

I have some friends whose lives have been turned around by Dave Ramsey. For real. What is amazing is that two of them are pretty damn smart folks. I would not have imagined. So even though I do not agree with Dave (he does not allow for strategic debt - granted, he is probably right that the majority of people would eff it up and get themselves in more trouble), I am grateful his message/delivery style/convincing manner got a few people I care about out of trouble.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post

I didn't read through it all so I didn't catch who is an advisor who also needs Dave Ramsey. I oversee many advisors and I wouldn't have a problem if one of them needed the total money makeover at some point in their life to get on track. I also wouldn't mind if they kept up with Dave or Suzie unless that was their only source of information. What we deal with normally is far more advance stuff than either of these put out and some of their stuff isn't the best or sometimes it's wrong. That said they to provide information that is valuable to the majority of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance