Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,675,136 times

Advertisements

hank you all for the response, really appreciate it.

I decided to do the following:

1. Max out both ROTH IRA every year. This way I can start this retirement account and get it growing.

2. Take the extra savings per month and save for another 6 months for some minor house needs, car repair on wife car, mini vacation, job certification, etc. You know the typical around the house fix ups and other things. And the taxes to cover the Roth IRA contributions.

3. Make sure my Emergency fund is solid 6 months, move to money market (need to read boglehead wiki to see what to do with this.)

4. By May 2013, start sending the extra savings (double payments) to car loan to have paid off in next 2 years, instead of the next 3 years.

5. After car loan is paid, instantly start maxing out 401K up to government limits.

6. After maxing out 401K to limits, start savings for next cash car or just saving in general.

Let me know what you think. This paying off debt and figuring ways to fill tax deferred account is becoming addictive and wish I could just pay that car off right now. Wish I started this process earlier instead of spending so much time with stock picking investing. Live and learn for sure. Picking stocks is a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times
Only thing I would change is 5.

After the car loan is paid, I would start a "new" car fund so you can get out of the loan cycle. Your goal is to save enough every 4 year to get replacement car "loan" free, so you can replace your cars every 8 years.

Are Kids in the plan? You might want to look at 529 college plans, The internal growth in the plan grow tax free, and is not taxed on the federal level (and most states) when you pull it out for covered college costs. If your kids don't go to college, then you can pull it out and just pay the tax on the gains. Also you can make anyone the beneficiary of the 529, your 'grand kids', your nieces/nephews. (not sure but you can probably make complete strangers the beneficiary).

Personal I don't like putting more into 401K past the match. But some people do. Because it comes out of your paycheck before you get a chance to spent it else where.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Only thing I would change is 5.

After the car loan is paid, I would start a "new" car fund so you can get out of the loan cycle. Your goal is to save enough every 4 year to get replacement car "loan" free, so you can replace your cars every 8 years.

Are Kids in the plan? You might want to look at 529 college plans, The internal growth in the plan grow tax free, and is not taxed on the federal level (and most states) when you pull it out for covered college costs. If your kids don't go to college, then you can pull it out and just pay the tax on the gains. Also you can make anyone the beneficiary of the 529, your 'grand kids', your nieces/nephews. (not sure but you can probably make complete strangers the beneficiary).

Personal I don't like putting more into 401K past the match. But some people do. Because it comes out of your paycheck before you get a chance to spent it else where.
Thank you flyonpa,

Yes we do have a daughter to help with college in the next 7-8 years. So what you state make sense, we may have to delay maxing out 401K to government limits until we get more money saved and contribution something to 529 plan.

Yes, saving to buy car cash is much better than asking for loan and paying notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance