Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,475 times

Advertisements

I contributed 5.5k to my Traditional IRA for 2014 and realized it was a stupid mistake. I want to reverse the contribution somehow and contribute 5.5k to my Roth IRA instead. How can I get this done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I contributed 5.5k to my Traditional IRA for 2014 and realized it was a stupid mistake. I want to reverse the contribution somehow and contribute 5.5k to my Roth IRA instead. How can I get this done?
It's called a recharacterization and the IRS rules are explained here:

Publication 590-A (2014), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Just call your custodian and say you want to re-characterize your 2014 contribution.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM

I talked to my brokerage firm. Characterization is the key word. When I expressed my request, they thought I wanted to do a conversion and insisted that Roth --> Traditional is called characterization and Traditional --> Roth is called conversion. I insisted on a recharacterization from Traditional to Roth and finally got helpful answers. Thank you both for helping!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:45 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,830,339 times
Quote:
What makes it stupid though? Sure with the Roth you don't have to pay taxes when you take it out but still, we can say with the Debt that taxes are likely to be higher in the future but who knows?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM

49 posts, read 52,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
What makes it stupid though? Sure with the Roth you don't have to pay taxes when you take it out but still, we can say with the Debt that taxes are likely to be higher in the future but who knows?
And the ability to pull the contribution portion out of a Roth IRA after 5 years without penalty and paying taxes (as you would with a traditional IRA) is nice as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePFBCoach View Post
And the ability to pull the contribution portion out of a Roth IRA after 5 years without penalty and paying taxes (as you would with a traditional IRA) is nice as well.
And not having to take the RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) if you don't need the money is another bonus!

Old 02-21-2015, 01:18 AM

106,730 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
this is not true at all. your retirement tax bracket may very well be higher .

it is only recently with a new study and view that t.rowe did ,that we are actually looking at roths vs traditional in a new light.

what folks tended to do is look at their final upper years income and decide that they will be in lower tax bracket at retirement when the pay checks stop.

makes sense because your retirement budget and income tends to be within 20% or so of your working income.

but t.rowe looked at the fact most of us who are not professionals and start our careers near the highest tax brackets spend decades ramping up in income and tax brackets.

you may have spent the first 25 years of a 40 year career at much lower brackets and income than those later years.

taking the deduction in traditional ira's and 401k's all along may be quite harmful since your long term average tax bracket will be alot less than your retirement bracket which is close to your final years income.

doctors ,lawyers and other careers that have you entering near peak incomes would likely do better deferring taxes as well as those with jobs that will see little pay changes ever, mostly those on the low end of things.

the rest of us working stiffs will have a much lower average tax rate over our 40 years working and will likely be in a higher tax bracket at retirement than that long term average spanning decades at far lower pay .

the study concluded even if tax brackets were no higher by retirement you could have as much as 20% more spendable money by doing that roth day 1 .

throw in the fact that after 70-1/2 any of the rmd money you reinvest from a deferred account has gains , interest and dividends taxed forever . the roth stays tax free for life.

if the roths prevent your ss from being taxed then again even if no bracket change at the end the roths win by a landslide.

we always think we will be in a lower tax bracket when the pay checks stop , but we were only looking at the final years income . the other decades of your working history may have a far lower average tax rate than you will in retirement based on the higher income days.

taking that deduction at those lower levels may bite you in the end.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
My 2014 income was higher than the deduction income limit of the Traditional IRA, which takes away the tax advantage of the Traditional IRA. Contributing to the Traditional would be a complete waste of the contribution quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance