Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well, the most recent annual gains have been WAY OVER 3.25%, that's the biggest miss. My 401k gains for 2010, 2011, and 2012 were all in the 10-16% range and this year already +15% and it's only May 16th. Anyone who wasn't funneling every possible dollar into the stock market over the last 3.5 years is a complete fool and missed one of the biggest run-ups in the history of the US stock market. And we are STILL on an upward trajectory, for now at least. I would not take $1 out to pay off a piddly sub -$10k student loan.
Since you seem to be a financial guru, where do we go from here now that stocks are at record highs? Are we still at 'anyone who isn't funneling every possible dollar into stocks is an idiot'? Or is it time to lock up some gains and spread it around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Then why come and ask for advice if you aren't going to listen. Student loan payments are not fun, but they are better than not going to college at all. Get a part time job on the weekends, both of you and put all of those funds toward your loans to pay them off faster if you want.
I have job that routinely mandates overtime and already work 6-7 day weeks. Making more on OT then any job pays. I obviously haven't made up my mind or I would not have made a post. We already funnel money into student loan payments as I said.... its our biggest monthly bill. We built up a emergency fund and have set our payments that each month we are near $0 or negative on funds but with tax returns and bonuses, we are slightly positive for the year. So not really saving any money other then max employer match in a 401k. Our networth grows quickly though.

I was trying to make sure I am not missing anything as its not a simple calculation on potential lost earning potential of taking the money out in a loan and incrementally paying it back. I was also considering seeing if I could get the payments to katch and see with the lower rate if I could pay it off lime 6 months faster.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
If you are given the choice between dieing and taking money out of a 401K, choose dieing first. In other words, there will never be a good enough reason to touch your 401K. Don't do it, don't even think about it.. !! That money does not exist..!!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If you are given the choice between dieing and taking money out of a 401K, choose dieing first. In other words, there will never be a good enough reason to touch your 401K. Don't do it, don't even think about it.. !! That money does not exist..!!
Its a loan, not a removal of money and the interest goes to m 401k, so say the stock market drops 3.5% and i take a loan and add 3.25% i would actually have made more money then leaving it there. I know a lot of people mix these up a loan vs withdrawing, taking penalties, and not returning.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
"Anyone who wasn't funneling every possible dollar into the stock market over the last 3.5 years is a complete fool" A person who did a max 401k loan in 2007 before the crash looks like a genius. I suppose you probably pulled every cent out of stocks just before the crash and then put it all back into stocks the day the Dow bottomed out.

After the big run up, now might be the perfect time to do a 401k loan.

"Piddly" to you does not equate to piddly for all.
I moved everything to bonds after the first 6 weeks of the Fall 2008 crash. I certainly didn't sell at the top but I bailed far before the bottom. I got back in as soon as I saw sustained 4-6 week upswing. It's not that hard to follow the market.... Real estate is much trickier to time than the Dow.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Since you seem to be a financial guru, where do we go from here now that stocks are at record highs? Are we still at 'anyone who isn't funneling every possible dollar into stocks is an idiot'? Or is it time to lock up some gains and spread it around?
See my above response about following 4-6 week market trends. At this point, I DO think we're still going up. A lot of individual investors who sat the last few years on the sidelines are still moving money back in. The housing market is healing and growing. Unemployment is going down. Companies are reporting pretty good profits. Consumer spending is ticking upwards. All signs - except for the artificially low interest rates - look positive for the near term market.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
Many/most investment professionals would say it is ill-advised to try to time the market with retirement funds.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Many/most investment professionals would say it is ill-advised to try to time the market with retirement funds.
I agree I just put money in good long term companies that may bump a little but overall as long as they show steady improvement over the years I trust it.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well, the most recent annual gains have been WAY OVER 3.25%, that's the biggest miss. My 401k gains for 2010, 2011, and 2012 were all in the 10-16% range and this year already +15% and it's only May 16th. Anyone who wasn't funneling every possible dollar into the stock market over the last 3.5 years is a complete fool and missed one of the biggest run-ups in the history of the US stock market. And we are STILL on an upward trajectory, for now at least. I would not take $1 out to pay off a piddly sub -$10k student loan.
I have hard time believing you made 10% to 16% gain in 2011.

That's way off the chart for the market!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
So yesterday some people were talking about doing a 401k loan with my company, some are knowledgeable and done a few, so I got a lowdown on some of it but I need to look into and deep dive into the details. I used to know people that used them like monthly for crap, I usually just think throw money in and leave it.

1st, you can do up to half your 401k, its like a one time $50 fee. All interest you pay goes back into your 401k. I still need to confirm this.

Either way usually I think, I don't want to touch any of my retirement money etc... Then I got to thinking. My wife and I have some alot of student loan debt.

We can't pay it all off, not enough money in the 401ks. I was mainly going to focus on one private student loan that is 10.5% interest. It is ~$8900. Current plan has it paid off February, 2018. So just under 5 years.

Just skimming a brief Overview, saw I can borrow up to 5 years, for a General loan, and 20 for a residential loan.

They list 3.25% fixed vs a 10.5% variable on my other loan.

Now I know the downfall is reduced growth opportunities, but the upside is cutting my interest rate on the loan? Over 5 years, will I see a 7.25% growth? And even then the number isn't exact because I will be repaying the money over those 5 years, so the money will be seeing growth. Even then the interest I do pay... is going right back to me, so its kind of like I am saving the 10.5% overall.

Since its a student loan, I can't default, so if say I lose my job, everything its not like I can declare bankruptcy, so it makes it a little more appealing to tap retirement, over say a general loan like a house/car/credit card. I also recently was thinking of the 20 year loan towards my house, so I could gain enough equity to lose my Mortgage insurance. But does not apeal to me as much.

I am just starting to dig into this a little bit, and wondering if this may actually be a viable plan. I am normally put money in retirement and don't touch it guy.

This retirement account has $23k in it(accrued over 2.5 years). I have another with about $8500, I still need to rollover into this one. I just turned 31. My wife has about $25k and is 32.
Honestly, I think it would be better to do one of those 0 percent balance transfer credit card deals. Even though they usually charge a 3% or 4% transaction fee, it would still be worth it. Take the money from the balance transfer (often they let you write a check to your checking account) and pay off your student loan. Then when the deal gets close to expiring, do another balance transfer.

I think 401K loans are a bad idea. They just set a really bad precedent and get people into the habit of using their 401ks as slush funds instead of retirement funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance