Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM

169 posts, read 193,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
No, the long term trend is up -- as it has been since 1836 -- but it goes both up and down, depending on the day's operations.

Everyone has always gotten every penny of principal and interest due them since the founding of the republic.

Total redemptions of public debt in FY 2012 were $67.4 trillion. New issuances were $68.7 trillion. I don't think that you (or very many other people) actually understand what's going on here.
Doesn't change the fact that US National Debt is $17 trillion and counting. US Total debt is almost $60 trillion and counting. Record highs only growing higher. Definitely not going to end up well for the average American.

Take a look:

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I stopped by the food court in a nearby mall. I see people buying designer handbags, expensive sneakers, etc. Where is this money coming from? I understand spending a few dollars here and there, but $500 handbags or $100 sunglasses is outrageous.

The same goes for smartphones and clothes? I thought in a recession the goal is to spend LESS. Maybe I'm crazy.
I ask myself this as well especially when it seems at the mall at any given time most of the crowd appear to be twenty somethings or younger looking 30somethings
I don't care what people do with their money but I can't stand these bleeding heart articles cnn and Huffington post and yahoo finance run regarding this trophied group. Anyone over age 37 knows they have it way better in terms of opportunities and acquiring stuff than those who were in same age group even twenty years ago

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I stopped by the food court in a nearby mall. I see people buying designer handbags, expensive sneakers, etc. Where is this money coming from? I understand spending a few dollars here and there, but $500 handbags or $100 sunglasses is outrageous.

The same goes for smartphones and clothes? I thought in a recession the goal is to spend LESS. Maybe I'm crazy.
Spending less? For most people only 'poor' or the new politically correct term 'low income' people spend less out of necessity and they are scared to death of being associated as such

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
Doesn't change the fact that US National Debt is $17 trillion and counting. US Total debt is almost $60 trillion and counting. Record highs only growing higher. Definitely not going to end up well for the average American.
Fear of large numbers. It's fairly common among the inadequately educated. And by the way, your phony US debt clock was off by about $150 billion earlier today. That's because it's nothing but a dime-store internet widget designed to entertian those who are easily distracted by bright, shiny objects. It has no connection actual public debt data or operations at all.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 AM

169 posts, read 193,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Fear of large numbers. It's fairly common among the inadequately educated. And by the way, your phony US debt clock was off by about $150 billion earlier today. That's because it's nothing but a dime-store internet widget designed to entertian those who are easily distracted by bright, shiny objects. It has no connection actual public debt data or operations at all.
Yes, in the fantasy world of oaktonite, $17 trillion in debt and counting is a good thing. Coming from someone who is so out of touch with reality, that they don't even pay their own bills, that is pretty special. Since you are the only "adequately" educated one on the planet oaktonite, please do grace us with your wisdom and explain how $17 trillion and counting is a good thing. And that $150 billion when we're talking about $17 trillion makes all of the difference as long as you say it does.

We are bowing before you oaktonite. We worship your divine wisdom. Please enlighten us.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
We are bowing before you oaktonite. We worship your divine wisdom.
Some here certainly should, given the numbers of posters who are completely devoid of any actual economic sense or comprehension at all.

Debt is meanwhile simply debt. It is one means of financing, despite what bupkis-knowing Calvinists might think. Debt at 100% of GDP is not a drain or a threat. It is both entirely appropriate at the present time and entirely manageable, as the ease with which it has in fact been managed only goes to confirm.

Meanwhile, the fact that I have people who perform the physical act of paying bills on my behalf is an indicator only of the fact that I can easily afford such a luxury. I can easily afford a lot of other luxuries as well. If you are obtuse enough to believe that such a thing means that I'm somehow out of touch, well, that sort of blunderous thinking is entirely on you.

By the way, it's been suggested that a separate "oaktonite" thread be formed wherein those who have had all their silly bubbles popped can whimper and cry about how mean the guy who popped them all was. You should keep an eye out for it.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM

143 posts, read 319,930 times
Labor Force Participation Rate (16 years and over).

It feels like it. I think it's personal, depending on where you live and what sector of work you're in or want to be in. Many of the jobs being created are part-time jobs.

I save and invest, it's boring and easy. It's easy to spend too. I'll be traveling a lot this Summer.

Many times in an depressed economy, people tend to buy things to show off to let others know they are doing okay. Examples would be like a new laptop, new car, new cell phone, etc., anything that can be seen by others. Whether they can afford it is not my problem. People may go to Starbucks to buy coffee but some make sacrifices elsewhere so they can be seen there. People are smart when it comes to appearances, a lot of fakers these days.

In Texas, the parking lot at restaurants, malls, movie theaters, night clubs/bars, and such are usually full. I visit our major cities a lot and this is what I see.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:54 PM

329 posts, read 460,575 times
they spend money because banks give them credit. usa people don't have money... they are all broke of 17 trillions $.
I bet many filed bankruptcy and 2 or 3 years later they can borrow again...

in usa you don't need to rob banks, you just enter and ask for money... when a US citizen open its wallet, there is nothing but plastic cards, ... they buy pretty much any thing they see. US government print more cash for his lazy citizen when they ask for.

usa is a country who think they can get everything for free. I think it s true, I see the debt counter going up and for years there was no
reverse counting since 2001.

I bet the system is so f... up in the usa than even if we wipe out the debt of the usa, like the fmi did with Africa, debt will even go faster....

if we give money to the usa, usa will find a way to even spend more... thinking they will get more money in return.

your nuts sitting In Congress are just a bunch of spoiled kids who have never learned to manage money in their childhood.

they will make you broke and laugh at you.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
Labor Force Participation Rate (16 years and over).

It feels like it. I think it's personal, depending on where you live and what sector of work you're in or want to be in. Many of the jobs being created are part-time jobs.

I save and invest, it's boring and easy. It's easy to spend too. I'll be traveling a lot this Summer.

Many times in an depressed economy, people tend to buy things to show off to let others know they are doing okay. Examples would be like a new laptop, new car, new cell phone, etc., anything that can be seen by others. Whether they can afford it is not my problem. People may go to Starbucks to buy coffee but some make sacrifices elsewhere so they can be seen there. People are smart when it comes to appearances, a lot of fakers these days.

In Texas, the parking lot at restaurants, malls, movie theaters, night clubs/bars, and such are usually full. I visit our major cities a lot and this is what I see.
Yes, we all go to Starbucks to show off. Nothing says I made it like having enough spare change to spend $2 on coffee.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 PM

143 posts, read 319,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, we all go to Starbucks to show off. Nothing says I made it like having enough spare change to spend $2 on coffee.
It's the name brand, it's a status symbol. I said "some" people, I didn't say "all" like you did. It's a nice place to socialize and when I spoke of it, I meant worldwide not just the U.S. You might not know but some women in China eat ramen noodles so they can afford to go to places like these or to afford that designer hand bag. Some people in the U.S. aren't any better.

Look, the E.U. is having some economic problems, they're the largest and wealthiest economy in the world, of course we'll be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance