Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times

Advertisements

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/07/...s&emc=rss&_r=0

This is amazing. All the more reason for people to support their community banks and credit unions. These bigger banks spend too much time looking at spreadsheets instead of the actual customers. So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
All the more reason for people to support their community banks and credit unions.
I suspect the "big banks" will agree with your suggestion.
The community banks and credit unions however don't really want them either.

Despite the "past performance doesn't" guff they all know that most of the population in
question will still tend to wear out their welcome with them before too long as well.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-31-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Well, they are poor credit risks if they are living paycheck to paycheck. This isn't new and it really isn't news. Banks are a business and since they have lost the ability to charge fees for a lot of things that generated income for them, they have to tighten the belt.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, they are poor credit risks if they are living paycheck to paycheck. This isn't new and it really isn't news. Banks are a business and since they have lost the ability to charge fees for a lot of things that generated income for them, they have to tighten the belt.

Exactly!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
Why is it difficult to understand that a business would not want customers that will have a negative impact on their bottom line. No business wants customers who will cost them money. Banks aren't charities; they're businesses. People who choose to be careless or irresponsible with their financial transactions need to understand that the consequences are their own fault, not the fault of the businesses they defrauded.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,919,678 times
You know it's amazing that most consumers don't understand that if a business
doesn't make money from the business they are in, they will close up shop.
This goes from a small business person, the mom and pop, to the Mega Corporations.
So many people have the attitude "they make plenty of money" Ill just do what I want
and defraud what ever business I want, after all, the customer is always right. Right?
If you cost a business money, a business must make a decision based on what is good
for the companies bottom line, after all, you aren't a customer if you are defrauding a
business now, are you?
It's sad that businesses have to make this decision.
But, if it comes to staying in business, or declining a customer, they MUST decline a customer.
I don't think people really understand business until they have had their own.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
i've audited a fair number of mid sized banks. those paycheck to paycheck people generate quite a bit of revenue for the banks as well. and keep in mind - the people being denied aren't necessarily poor credit risks, they just had some banking missteps (like overdrafts, bounced checks, etc.). i've had some checks bounce because i didn't move money around. i've also had overdrafts happen. i don't park my money in checking, so sometimes i forget to move it over. i get that they're trying to use the data at hand, but it seems like they could use some old fashioned community banking style tactics sometimes.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Why is it difficult to understand that a business would not want customers that will have a negative impact on their bottom line. No business wants customers who will cost them money. Banks aren't charities; they're businesses. People who choose to be careless or irresponsible with their financial transactions need to understand that the consequences are their own fault, not the fault of the businesses they defrauded.
actually, the careless people would be more profitable to the banks, given the fees they'd generate (even with new regulations). you obviously didn't read the article.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
A bank account is not a constitutional right.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i've audited a fair number of mid sized banks. those paycheck to paycheck people generate quite a bit of revenue for the banks as well. and keep in mind - the people being denied aren't necessarily poor credit risks, they just had some banking missteps (like overdrafts, bounced checks, etc.). i've had some checks bounce because i didn't move money around. i've also had overdrafts happen. i don't park my money in checking, so sometimes i forget to move it over. i get that they're trying to use the data at hand, but it seems like they could use some old fashioned community banking style tactics sometimes.
Careless people that pay fees are great money makers for banks...the repeat offenders that never have the money to cover the fees are quite different. It takes a lot of "missteps" for a bank to not open an account for you so this isn't the occasional 'oops I forgot to transfer money from savings", these are people that bounce checks on purpose or try to play the float paying bills. The bank can see if they have $20,000 sitting in savings that it's an "oops" type of thing vs their average daily balance being $5.13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance