Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Tell my employer, he personally writes the schedule every week.
Get a 2nd job, or cut discretionary expenses out, such as the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Yes I have a remote job that used to be a full time office job, but it is intermittent and the available work isn't consistent. I've been working on a large long-term project when the other work isn't available, but it's like a book where you're a newbie so you don't get an advance and you don't make money until you have finished product that sells.

Also I have tried online surveys, maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm doing it wrong, they send me few surveys and for stuff I don't buy and don't know how to rate.

No landline in house, have prepaid cell phone - how could I possibly do phone work from home when I'm paying per minute?
You are too restrictive on yourself or not thinking hard enough about how to better yourself if that is your excuse.

How could you do phone work while paying per minute? You make sure you are making MORE per minute than you are spending which should not be hard in the least. Even minimum wage should beat that by a mile or you are getting RIPPED OFF on your cell phone bill! Straight talk has 1000 minute/month plans for $30. That is $0.03 per minute or $1.80/hr. I'm pretty sure a job would pay you more than $1.80 an hour! They also have completely unlimited plans for $45. I'm sure your pre-paid is a slightly worse deal but still much less than minimum wage.

Besides, if you were able to get a job using a phone you should be able to easily switch to a non pre-paid phone.

You keep complaining about your situation but if you actually want to CHANGE it and not just complain on a message board, you have to think about changes you might need to make to better yourself and not be stuck on maintaining the exact same life you have now. If you confine yourself to your current conditions and can't think outside of that you will be stuck there forever. I don't think I have ever met someone who has an excuse for everything! People have given a lot of ideas to you but you come up with a reason why none of them make sense.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Isn't this a GREAT reason why burger flippers should have the option to buy tiny homes? It's hard for burger flippers to come up with $10k in emergency funds when they are paying 40% of income on rent that rises faster than income.
I love this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Aha! That is an interesting point. I almost don't know how to - or at least I live like that. (Hey, we could all go to Louis Vuitton - even Target - and max out credit cards. That takes no skill.)

I had (and have) lots of money saved up because I could always talk myself out of anything I could think of buying. Even when I did spend, I spent smartly -- a camera which doesn't "go out of fashion" and actually makes me money, travel: buy plane tickets at the right time, don't blow money on a hotel unnecessarily (you didn't fly 10 hours to analyze a hotel's decor, did you?), etc.
You're in the minority of saving money... However, kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what bad decision? making excuse after excuse and believing your own bull-sh*t ,as well as complaining and complaining instead of a workable action plan.
I feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
You are too restrictive on yourself or not thinking hard enough about how to better yourself if that is your excuse.

How could you do phone work while paying per minute? You make sure you are making MORE per minute than you are spending which should not be hard in the least. Even minimum wage should beat that by a mile or you are getting RIPPED OFF on your cell phone bill! Straight talk has 1000 minute/month plans for $30. That is $0.03 per minute or $1.80/hr. I'm pretty sure a job would pay you more than $1.80 an hour! They also have completely unlimited plans for $45. I'm sure your pre-paid is a slightly worse deal but still much less than minimum wage.

Besides, if you were able to get a job using a phone you should be able to easily switch to a non pre-paid phone.

You keep complaining about your situation but if you actually want to CHANGE it and not just complain on a message board, you have to think about changes you might need to make to better yourself and not be stuck on maintaining the exact same life you have now. If you confine yourself to your current conditions and can't think outside of that you will be stuck there forever. I don't think I have ever met someone who has an excuse for everything! People have given a lot of ideas to you but you come up with a reason why none of them make sense.
Don't try... We can't get through to him/her (freemrkt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually no ,as i said we don't need to lower the bar. Burger flippers need to get jobs that pay real money.

The need to stop chasing ghosts,they need to move where the food is and they need to get marketable skills.

If they can't then they have failed financially and failure has no rewards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You're not supposed to save making $15,000 a year. You're only supposed to survive.

If you make $15,000 a year its time for some serious work on yourself.

What's stopping them other then they're not earning enough? I bought a house while I was still in college.
Again, that's just you. And judging by the fact that you were able to buy a home in college, you have to be an older person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance