Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Did you know that a fee is tacked on every month for the privilege of having my wages garnished? .
Naturally, a fee is added. The process of collecting from those who don't pay on their own involves people, that involves employee costs, and, of course, the people who cause that cost to be incurred, should pay that cost.

In order to be made whole, the taxpayer needs the defaulter to repay both the loan and the costs of the collection process employees involved.

Last edited by bobtn; 01-15-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt;33026195

[B
don't want to manage burger flippers, no advancement path where i work[/b]

You mean you choose not to take it, which would be managing burger flippers.

That would expedite how quickly you would pay pack your loans, which would improve your financial situation faster.

But you choose not to take advantage of the opportunity.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 6,943,581 times
Quote:
Did you know that a fee is tacked on every month for the privilege of having my wages garnished? I have paid almost as much in these fees as the amount I borrowed, these fees also reduce the amount applied to the loan principal, thereby reducing principal reduction to nearly zero. Don't cry for taxpayers, they are making money hand over fist from student loan defaulters, who are entitled to keep only the first $750 of monthly earnings.
a fee SHOULD be tacked on and yes I think most people know that these kind of bookkeeping fees exist.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,935,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
That is a ridiculous statement "most" Americans after tax paycheck is about 74 to 80 percent of their gross. 6% of that "tax" is the only retirement income a great majority will have to live off of.

Any American paying 40% to taxes is grossing so much, if they are suffering economic hardship, it is either due to extreme life circumstances or poor financial habits.

The taxes we pay are used to back an economic budget that supports a world reality where Americans can earn and consume a greater share of all wages and resources than the other 90% if the world.

That does not sound like a reality to complain about.
I figured out that I pay about 18% of my income in taxes, leaving 82% net. Not too bad but then I don't make a whole lot of money. Up until the past couple of years I used to get back ALL I paid in, almost to the dollar. Not anymore though. Those taxes include Fed, State, SS and Medicare. No other deductions.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,537,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Naturally, a fee is added. The process of collecting from those who don't pay on their own involves people, that involves employee costs, and, of course, the people who cause that cost to be incurred, should pay that cost.

In order to be made whole, the taxpayer needs the defaulter to repay both the loan and the costs of the collection process employees involved.

??? How much does it actually cost - as opposed to how much is actually charged - for an ongoing, automatic payment? I can see a one-time setup fee, but where's the ongoing cost month after month after month? I don't have a problem with paying the actual cost, but it looks like a profit center for them.

And if given the choice, I would be happy to send them a check (or pay online) every month to get rid of that fee, because my loan would have been paid off by now if the fees had not been tacked on, as the principal would have been reduced much faster.

Also, the way it works, Treasury takes the money, then it takes weeks or months before Ed gets it and the payment is credited toward the loan. How much are borrowers bring ripped off (in lost interest reduction) by this stall-and-delay process?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
??? How much does it actually cost - as opposed to how much is actually charged - for an ongoing, automatic payment? I can see a one-time setup fee, but where's the ongoing cost month after month after month? I don't have a problem with paying the actual cost, but it looks like a profit center for them.

And if given the choice, I would be happy to send them a check (or pay online) every month to get rid of that fee, because my loan would have been paid off by now if the fees had not been tacked on, as the principal would have been reduced much faster.

Also, the way it works, Treasury takes the money, then it takes weeks or months before Ed gets it and the payment is credited toward the loan. How much are borrowers bring ripped off (in lost interest reduction) by this stall-and-delay process?
Borrowers ripped off.these are borrowers who defaulted.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Borrowers ripped off.these are borrowers who defaulted.

By government standards, I don't have the capacity to make the payments - under Income Based Repayment (IBR) a borrower with annual income of $15K qualifies for an 'affordable' monthly payment of zero, while they are extracting $100/mo out of my lower income.

Perhaps they should make up their mind what is affordable and what isn't? In the meantime, I am paying more than what they claim I can afford.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
By government standards, I don't have the capacity to make the payments - under Income Based Repayment (IBR) a borrower with annual income of $15K qualifies for an 'affordable' monthly payment of zero, while they are extracting $100/mo out of my lower income.

Perhaps they should make up their mind what is affordable and what isn't? In the meantime, I am paying more than what they claim I can afford.
You need to work more hours-$100 is just $1,200 per year. That is a minimal amount to expect anyone to pay.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
You need to work more hours-$100 is just $1,200 per year. That is a minimal amount to expect anyone to pay.

Tell my employer, he personally writes the schedule every week.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 AM

107,121 posts, read 109,450,648 times
get a 2nd job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance