Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,461,028 times

Advertisements

Plenty of wealthy people would consider $15,000 a lot of money. Having a cavalier attitude about $15,000 isn't how they became wealthy, in my opinion. Defaulting will hang over your head for the rest of your life. People will keep talking about it from now on. Whenever you meet a new person, someone will make sure to tell them all about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,212,946 times
You've taken a giant step toward life as a bum, probably a homeless bum eventually when ma and pa throw you out for good. Watch a lot of TV and hang out on the street a lot so you can get the gist of how to do it.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM

71 posts, read 70,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Plenty of wealthy people would consider $15,000 a lot of money. Having a cavalier attitude about $15,000 isn't how they became wealthy, in my opinion. Defaulting will hang over your head for the rest of your life. People will keep talking about it from now on. Whenever you meet a new person, someone will make sure to tell them all about you.

Didn't Dave Ramsey go bankrupt/default? Hasn't Donald Trump or his company? And countless other people that you guys probably get your panties wet to just thinking about.

I am shocked at the ignorance of the people in this thread.

They elect people to vote for bailouts to banks and auto companies on THEIR behalf, which is theft. No two ways about it. But when their is some joe schmo from nowheresville thats had a hard life and is now finally in debt, lets ridicule him and show him no compassion!

Isn't there any bigger fish out their to fry then little old me?

It's like they say, the reason Hitler, Mao, etc were successful is because of the "sheeple" , the small guys like some of you who control the less fortunate among us. You guys need a change of attitude.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 PM

honestly if we lived in a "fair" country, I should be given a BIG LOAN to pay for my operating (living expenses) and to pay down most my debt.

Heck, look at DETROIT ... Like really, you targeting and yelling at some 24 year old guy for going into debt to afford food and shelter for himself, yet you are bailing out DETROIT, where PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO LIVE!

Give me a break.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight12am View Post
Didn't Dave Ramsey go bankrupt/default? Hasn't Donald Trump or his company? And countless other people that you guys probably get your panties wet to just thinking about.

They elect people to vote for bailouts to banks and auto companies on THEIR behalf, which is theft. No two ways about it. But when their is some joe schmo from nowheresville thats had a hard life and is now finally in debt, lets ridicule him and show him no compassion!

It's like they say, the reason Hitler, Mao, etc were successful is because of the "sheeple" , the small guys like some of you who control the less fortunate among us. You guys need a change of attitude.

The difference is they actually increased their wealth after that because they learned their lesson. They paid back all of their debts and Dave Ramsey currently lives debt free and has for years.

Be responsible and pay what you owe or don't be responsible and live with the consenquences.
Your life, your choice and no one to blame for this situation you are in except for yourself.

Show you compassion for what? For having a crap attitude and wanting strangers on a public forum to tell you it is just fine to bail on the debt you voluntarily created for yourself?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,261,837 times
Smile Question

Quote:
thanks for answers so far, very helpful

has there been anyone through this already, or currently going through it, that could share their experience?
Obviously, your credit score must be OK if you've always paid. Are you in a position to possibly go to your parents and explain what has occurred and ask for some help?

If you were to settle, let's say for 70% of the debt, you will get a debt cancellation letter which will be sent into the IRS and treated as income.

I would try to use all my options.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,685,609 times
Quote:
honestly if we lived in a "fair" country, I should be given a BIG LOAN to pay for my operating (living expenses) and to pay down most my debt.

Heck, look at DETROIT ... Like really, you targeting and yelling at some 24 year old guy for going into debt to afford food and shelter for himself, yet you are bailing out DETROIT, where PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO LIVE!

Give me a break.
No, this is real life - you don't get breaks. Life isnt fair. No one ever said it was.

I'm sure you made the decisions that led you to this juncture. Can you honestly say that you tried your hardest to afford yourself the life you think you deserve? Or did you just lolly gag through school and life and then you suddenly found yourself $15 grand in the whole?

And your only excuse for not wanting to pay it back is because its not fair?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
No, this is real life - you don't get breaks. Life isnt fair. No one ever said it was.

I'm sure you made the decisions that led you to this juncture. Can you honestly say that you tried your hardest to afford yourself the life you think you deserve? Or did you just lolly gag through school and life and then you suddenly found yourself $15 grand in the whole?

And your only excuse for not wanting to pay it back is because its not fair?
I'm not going to go into my whole life story on here, but I've never took any unemployment or public assistance, even though I could probably qualify for disability and welfare. I've also had a paycheck stolen from my by a previous employer. I quit and moved out of state, and they never sent the check for time/work already completed, and never sent it after I called them 3 more times. But I'm not going to sue them and spend more money traveling back and hiring a lawyer and wasting time with everything, and let by gones be by gones.

I didn't PLAN on going in debt like this. I always use to pay my card off in full each month, and then I was unemployed and it just happened so quick. And at about 8 grand it just got to much, so I let it ride so to speak.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,048,882 times
Quote:

Give me a break.

Troll......

Until you started with the 'whoa is me' posts, I actually thought this was serious thread. You're clearly just seeing if people will pile on some loser who thinks credit cards are free money.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM

17,409 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Quote:

You asked for opinions and then attack anyone that gives you their opinion and it doesn't agree with your viewpoint..........

You spent the 15K right? You agreed to the terms right? The evil banks didn't make you buy stuff at Best Buy and drink all those drinks at Fridays' did they?

1. Don't default, you will kick yourself later
2. This will impact your chances to get a job/rent a place(once again, kicking yourself)
3. You are single, no kids and this should be an easy fix. There was a guy on this section with 3 kids, huge mortgage/debts and he only made 40K a year so he was in a jam that was unfixable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance