Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,073 times

Advertisements

for myself and my family this has been a big headache...

my husband is a contract worker therefore he has to provide us with insurance, which we were conveniently dropped from...this insurance per month was affordable about $600/month, all of the doctors and hospitals we preferred were affordable and possible for us to see....

However, NOW if we want similar coverage through the same insurance company and type (PPO) with similar deductible my monthly premiums doubled and then some??? I would have to fork out $1400 some dollars to receive what we were receiving last year!!!

Note if we were to go with an HMO plan, the tiered mess is a gigantic blow...our preferred hospital is a tier 3 which means I would have to pay $450 for an ER visit and $1000/day for hospital stay!!! You call that affordable??? Meanwhile the tier 1 hospital that is close in distance to us has an extremely poor rating for health, which, side note-I myself almost died in their ER from neglect after been given a medication in an IV drip that I was fatally allergic too, my husband had to stand out of my triage area and scream running around the ER until a nurse came in and pulled the IV- don't bet on me stepping foot back into that "tier 1" affordable hospital, ever..let alone take my children there to be treated.

Actually I find it quite interesting, especially with these plans that are offering this "tiered" option...is this not a form of segregation? I mean the low-income families that these new obamacare plans are to be helping and the families who had pre-existing conditions, I don't see how these families are going to be able to afford a tiered 3 hospital, they will have no choice but to go to a tiered 1. what's even more sad is that a handful of these low income families won't even be able to afford the copays for even the tiered 1...

IDK...but i've been working since Decemeber looking for plans that come close to what we had and I'm seriously having an extremely difficult time in doing so.

Perhaps I'm not getting it whatsoever? Perhaps I need an agent to come to my house, sit down with my husband and I and look at our budget with us, see our needs in health care (child with special needs therefore dr who we have been working with us is a necessity to us), and point us to these amazingly affordable options that won't cause us to have to find new doctors and new hospitals, because I'm not seeing them!

And FYI, I voted for Obama in the first election...after the first run I pulled and changed to unaffiliated...I'm not an ignorant white woman who is bashing obamacare because our country is being run by a Biracial man. I myself am married to a biracial man, so ignorance is not in my blood...I judge on content of character and not by color of skin.

SIGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlizah View Post

my husband is a contract worker therefore he has to provide us with insurance, which we were conveniently dropped from...this insurance per month was affordable about $600/month, all of the doctors and hospitals we preferred were affordable and possible for us to see....

However, NOW if we want similar coverage through the same insurance company and type (PPO) with similar deductible my monthly premiums doubled and then some??? I would have to fork out $1400 some dollars to receive what we were receiving last year!!!

Note if we were to go with an HMO plan, the tiered mess is a gigantic blow...our preferred hospital is a tier 3 which means I would have to pay $450 for an ER visit and $1000/day for hospital stay!!! You call that affordable??? Meanwhile the tier 1 hospital that is close in distance to us has an extremely poor rating for health, which, side note-I myself almost died in their ER from neglect after been given a medication in an IV drip that I was fatally allergic too, my husband had to stand out of my triage area and scream running around the ER until a nurse came in and pulled the IV- don't bet on me stepping foot back into that "tier 1" affordable hospital, ever..let alone take my children there to be treated.

Actually I find it quite interesting, especially with these plans that are offering this "tiered" option...is this not a form of segregation? I mean the low-income families that these new obamacare plans are to be helping and the families who had pre-existing conditions, I don't see how these families are going to be able to afford a tiered 3 hospital, they will have no choice but to go to a tiered 1. what's even more sad is that a handful of these low income families won't even be able to afford the copays for even the tiered 1...

IDK...but i've been working since Decemeber looking for plans that come close to what we had and I'm seriously having an extremely difficult time in doing so.

Perhaps I'm not getting it whatsoever? Perhaps I need an agent to come to my house, sit down with my husband and I and look at our budget with us, see our needs in health care (child with special needs therefore dr who we have been working with us is a necessity to us), and point us to these amazingly affordable options that won't cause us to have to find new doctors and new hospitals, because I'm not seeing them!

And FYI, I voted for Obama in the first election...after the first run I pulled and changed to unaffiliated...I'm not an ignorant white woman who is bashing obamacare because our country is being run by a Biracial man. I myself am married to a biracial man, so ignorance is not in my blood...I judge on content of character and not by color of skin.

SIGH!
You're probably not missing anything. I've done more research since I started this post and honestly, Obamacare is good for those that make very little. Single and make less than $20K, you'll get a decent subsidy with adjusted copays and deductibles. Single and make $30K and you're out of luck. I'm sure there are gaps like this for every family combination/income level. It's all about how much you make.

The scary thing is that the lowest premium plans come with gigantic deductibles. For example, single, living in Florida and making $30K/year doesn't get you a subsidy. The cheapest plan is $220-240/mos with a $6250 deductible before insurance pays anything (outside of preventative care). How is a person making that much, minus the $220/mos premium, supposed to afford a $6250 deductible? I think this plan is completely worthless. Either go up in premium to $300/mos with a $1000-1500 deductible or pay the penalty. Financially speaking, the cheaper plan is like throwing money away.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM

374 posts, read 492,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlizah View Post

SIGH!
\ I am sorry you are going through that. Seems like we entered a Caste system in this country. Very sad indeed. But I am sure someone will come along to tell you, that you researched wrong, or how wonderful it is to have insurance, to be thankful or even better be responsible.

Do they have insurance? Oh yes some Union exempt plan, they don't or won't have to put up with the BS. But hey as long as they feel good inside that you "have to be responsible" all is good in the world. Sigh

Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
You're probably not missing anything. I've done more research since I started this post and honestly, Obamacare is good for those that make very little. Single and make less than $20K, you'll get a decent subsidy with adjusted copays and deductibles. Single and make $30K and you're out of luck. I'm sure there are gaps like this for every family combination/income level. It's all about how much you make.

The scary thing is that the lowest premium plans come with gigantic deductibles. For example, single, living in Florida and making $30K/year doesn't get you a subsidy. The cheapest plan is $220-240/mos with a $6250 deductible before insurance pays anything (outside of preventative care). How is a person making that much, minus the $220/mos premium, supposed to afford a $6250 deductible? I think this plan is completely worthless. Either go up in premium to $300/mos with a $1000-1500 deductible or pay the penalty. Financially speaking, the cheaper plan is like throwing money away.
And your examples have been refuted time and time again...the issue in YOUR partner's case was that your combined household income is over $100,000...she is living with you, she might make that but your FAMILY income is over $100,000....and now she is paying $6/month for her plan because she went to part-time hours...???

dlizah--as a contractor, your husband is self-employed. Your NET cost on those premiums are no where near what you are claiming. He can deduct those on your taxes, unlike W-2 employees....you get your subsidy, just in a different way....

Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And your examples have been refuted time and time again...the issue in YOUR partner's case was that your combined household income is over $100,000...she is living with you, she might make that but your FAMILY income is over $100,000....and now she is paying $6/month for her plan because she went to part-time hours...???
What are you talking about? My examples are exactly what I got from the ACA site. Go on there yourself, plug an income of $30k and see how much you have to pay and for what. I guarantee you that for $220 @ 30k and 32 years old you will get no subsidy and the plan wilm cover nothing before you pay $6250 deductible. Im not stupid and Ive done my research so stop responding to my posts like I am.

She is now able to get a plan that the subsidy almost fully covers because her estimated income this year will be $15k. Since Florida did not expand medicaid she can get this policy on the ACA site based on her income. Yes our household income is much higher but unfortunately this state won't less us get married. That fact is not my fault and are we to pay all this money in premiums when I've supported her for the past 4 years and didn't see a dime in tax benefit because of DOMA. I don't think so.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What are you talking about? My examples are exactly what I got from the ACA site. Go on there yourself, plug an income of $30k and see how much you have to pay and for what. I guarantee you that for $220 @ 30k and 32 years old you will get no subsidy and the plan wilm cover nothing before you pay $6250 deductible. Im not stupid and Ive done my research so stop responding to my posts like I am.

She is now able to get a plan that the subsidy almost fully covers because her estimated income this year will be $15k. Since Florida did not expand medicaid she can get this policy on the ACA site based on her income. Yes our household income is much higher but unfortunately this state won't less us get married. That fact is not my fault and are we to pay all this money in premiums when I've supported her for the past 4 years and didn't see a dime in tax benefit because of DOMA. I don't think so.
except you have been getting a tax benefit with your premiums all these years....

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
except you have been getting a tax benefit with your premiums all these years....
Exactly what premiums are these? The ones I pay for my own health insurance through my job? Like everyone else and that have nothing to do with her?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM

For a 32 year old in Miami--didn't know your zip code....with JUST her income at 30,000 (which isn't her MAGI even)

results
The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.

Household income in 2014:193% of poverty levelMaximum % of income you have to pay for the premium, if eligible for a subsidy:6% Health Insurance premium in 2014 (for a silver plan, before tax credit):$2,991 per year You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$1,192 per year
(which covers 40% of the overall premium) Amount you pay for the premium:$1,799 per year
(which equals 6% of your household income and covers 60% of the overall premium)

with the HOUSEHOLD income--which is what they ask:

results
Because your income is more than 400% of the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

Household income in 2014:645% of poverty levelMaximum % of income you have to pay for the premium, if eligible for a subsidy:None Health Insurance premium in 2014 (for a silver plan, before tax credit):$2,991 per year You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0 per year
(which covers 0% of the overall premium) Amount you pay for the premium:$2,991 per year
(which equals 2.99% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium)

care to tell me there are no subsidies again now????

Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM

You don't quote a source, so I can't verify. But according to the Kaiser calculator, that income in zip code 32812 puts her at 261% above poverty level leaving her with $2500 in premiums left to pay for the Silver level plan. Per month that's $210. Her income had she stayed at the job she was working would have been $35K this year and no subsidy then. These were real costs I was looking at before she quit her job.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 PM

And leave this whole household stuff out of it. The state of Florida considers us roommates and so for the purpose of health insurance that's what we are. Her income has no bearing on mine and mine has no bearing on hers. When they let us get married and I can add her to my insurance at work, then it'll be a different story. Right now we just play the hand we're dealt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance