Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Obecare, An accident waiting to happen. Pun intended. I hate to think when or if I get Obecare, I have to keep the Obecare insurance card, with his big face on it, in my wallet.
You do realize that there is no "Obecare" policy and no "Obecare" insurance card, right? It's legislation and your actual policy is through an insurance company in your area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
People are arguing about cost but what's major is the ceiling in your policy. No more having to go bankrupt with a hospital stay. Most everyone may drive a car and every time you drive off anyone can get in a car accident and the true cost of care kicks in. Look at the big picture. One accident or one good hospital stay can ruin you financially.

Now a major selling benefit is the no pre-existing conditions. There are many people who hate their current occupation of build up college cost just because they should go to college to get a good job. Well now a person can design their own benefits package and try to go into business on their own. Everything has a cost. The ACA (Obama Care) gives you freedom of choice. So for those who complain about deductible well you should have an emergency fund for such things and if you can't afford it them it might be a good idea to start up a part-time business with a goal to leave your 9-5 at some point.

As for companies cutting people hours then it would be in your best interest to just leave that company. It's been said companies have benefit packages to attract and keep good employees well now we see that wasn't completely true.
The policy I liked but could not keep had no ceiling on benefits. My lousy ACA policy. has the highest deductible I've ever had plus the worst payout of 50% plus the highest total out of pocket limit. The ACA was overalls badly. A private company would be in big trouble for fraud if they lied this much about a product.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The policy I liked but could not keep had no ceiling on benefits. My lousy ACA policy. has the highest deductible I've ever had plus the worst payout of 50% plus the highest total out of pocket limit. The ACA was overalls badly. A private company would be in big trouble for fraud if they lied this much about a product.
So get a silver plan instead of a bronze plan. Do the math, chances are even though your premiums are a bit higher your overall costs are lower. Now, if you never go to the doctor, then a bronze plan is probably saving you money.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So get a silver plan instead of a bronze plan. Do the math, chances are even though your premiums are a bit higher your overall costs are lower. Now, if you never go to the doctor, then a bronze plan is probably saving you money.
One would think that, golfgal. But when you do the numbers, I would have to spend $10,000 more in premiums per year to reduce out-of-pocket by $6,000. We know we will have claims, and yet the silver/gold plans in my area do not make sense. I'm not spending $10,000 to save $6,000.

The only possible hope that any of this makes sense is if there are large rebates at the end of the year because the insurance companies did not meet the benefits payout tests and collected too much in premiums.

The biggest defect in the ACA is that one small group of people bears a disproportionate share of the burden of trying to insure just half of the uninsured. This isn't 'one for all and all for one,' this is people who were happily buying decent policies in the individual market getting hammered on costs, access to providers, and deductibles/coinsurance. I understand taxing everybody to help those who cannot paddle their own canoe. But I do not understand getting the crap knocked out of me just because I am a farmer, small shopkeeper, professional or other person in the individual market for insurance.

What I really do not get is that if 15% of us were uninsured, then a one-time premium increase of 20% ought to have provided enough money to cover everyone, period. Or they could have actually figured out some way to get care when needed to the 15%.

Fortunately, I believe the calls for reform of Obamacare will come most loudly from Democrats as the 2014 elections draw nearer--resulting in a bipartisan approach to fix this mess. Otherwise the Dems will get slaughtered at the polls. Just my opinion, I know some think the wonders of Obamacare will do wonders for the Dems.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
IMO I believe it never was about making financial sense but about making ideological changes with the law

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
The worst part is, if you have periodontal disease and lose your teeth, it can cost over $70,000 to get dental implants to replace them all, and the insurance wouldn't pay for a dime of it.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
One would think that, golfgal. But when you do the numbers, I would have to spend $10,000 more in premiums per year to reduce out-of-pocket by $6,000. We know we will have claims, and yet the silver/gold plans in my area do not make sense. I'm not spending $10,000 to save $6,000.

The only possible hope that any of this makes sense is if there are large rebates at the end of the year because the insurance companies did not meet the benefits payout tests and collected too much in premiums.

The biggest defect in the ACA is that one small group of people bears a disproportionate share of the burden of trying to insure just half of the uninsured. This isn't 'one for all and all for one,' this is people who were happily buying decent policies in the individual market getting hammered on costs, access to providers, and deductibles/coinsurance. I understand taxing everybody to help those who cannot paddle their own canoe. But I do not understand getting the crap knocked out of me just because I am a farmer, small shopkeeper, professional or other person in the individual market for insurance.

What I really do not get is that if 15% of us were uninsured, then a one-time premium increase of 20% ought to have provided enough money to cover everyone, period. Or they could have actually figured out some way to get care when needed to the 15%.

Fortunately, I believe the calls for reform of Obamacare will come most loudly from Democrats as the 2014 elections draw nearer--resulting in a bipartisan approach to fix this mess. Otherwise the Dems will get slaughtered at the polls. Just my opinion, I know some think the wonders of Obamacare will do wonders for the Dems.
I don't know where you live so I priced out plans in my state--husband, wife, 2 kids. Bronze plan with a $12,700 OOP max is $651/month, silver plan is $5700 OOP max is $749/month....or you could get a plan with a $4000 OOP for $797/month. These are not including any subsidies. Maybe your state is way off but I would double check your figures. I have yet to see a plan in the 5 states I've looked in that have that big of a premium difference between bronze and silver. That is over $800/MONTH more--on top of how much for the bronze??

Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know where you live so I priced out plans in my state--husband, wife, 2 kids. Bronze plan with a $12,700 OOP max is $651/month, silver plan is $5700 OOP max is $749/month....or you could get a plan with a $4000 OOP for $797/month. These are not including any subsidies. Maybe your state is way off but I would double check your figures. I have yet to see a plan in the 5 states I've looked in that have that big of a premium difference between bronze and silver. That is over $800/MONTH more--on top of how much for the bronze??
OK, so here's the facts.

1. Nebraska rates
2. Blue Cross--need national network, with no geographical limitations, not the "narrow network" offering.
3. Need HSA-eligible HDHP due to high levels of non-covered medical expenses for equipment.
4. The only offering that meets these specs is Bronze in the individual marketplace.

I looked at small business offerings since I do have an employee whose individual insurance I cover--and we could qualify for a small business plan. In there, the lowest deductible gold plan, non-HSA, had a premium of $1964.50 for my family instead of $1123.75. It would have reduced my out-of-pocket exposure by $6,000. This is the highest level of benefits I could find.

Nominally, I could go to the silver individual narrow network plan non-HSA eligible, cut the deductible, cut the coinsurance, for very little extra premium--except out-of-network expenses would blow my budget wide open. So I lose the tax advantages of the HSA and run up a pile of out-of-network expenses.

The national network is mandatory. The HSA format is highly desirable. Sticking with a high quality, proven carrier is also not negotiable. The ACA sucks for me.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
OK, so here's the facts.

1. Nebraska rates
2. Blue Cross--need national network, with no geographical limitations, not the "narrow network" offering.
3. Need HSA-eligible HDHP due to high levels of non-covered medical expenses for equipment.
4. The only offering that meets these specs is Bronze in the individual marketplace.

I looked at small business offerings since I do have an employee whose individual insurance I cover--and we could qualify for a small business plan. In there, the lowest deductible gold plan, non-HSA, had a premium of $1964.50 for my family instead of $1123.75. It would have reduced my out-of-pocket exposure by $6,000. This is the highest level of benefits I could find.

Nominally, I could go to the silver individual narrow network plan non-HSA eligible, cut the deductible, cut the coinsurance, for very little extra premium--except out-of-network expenses would blow my budget wide open. So I lose the tax advantages of the HSA and run up a pile of out-of-network expenses.

The national network is mandatory. The HSA format is highly desirable. Sticking with a high quality, proven carrier is also not negotiable. The ACA sucks for me.
You need to get a regular family plan for you and an individual plan for your employee. That will save you a lot of money. I just priced out plans in Omaha and your family plan that you are talking about comes up at $910.30/month--HSA, national network with BC/BS. I didn't price out your employee but I seriously doubt she is $1000/month alone.. Just because you have a business plan now doesn't mean you need one later and for just you and one employee, you've been paying too much for a business plan NOW, never mind in 2014 and beyond. I assumed you and your spouse were in your late 40's with a couple kids.

I'm a huge fan of HSA's so I don't blame you at all for wanting to keep that. They are wonderful.

Last edited by golfgal; 12-08-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
OK, so here's the facts.

1. Nebraska rates

Huh? I don't understand. In our state you only have to purchase through the Marketplace IF you want to apply for subsidies. If you don't qualify, you just call BCBS directly. Is that not the case in all states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance