Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, it was a Humana Bronze plan
This is my last comment on this. But the first two plans that pop up on the Humana site for about $160 and $180 a month are for those 30 and younger. Click on the explanation of benefits and under who can apply it will say you need to be under 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This whole discussion may be helpful to people that really are going to be strapped by these high deductibles so is worthwhile to have on here.
But for some, like you and, I suspect ,many, many others, it is a matter of priorities.
Few people want to buy the important but boring basics.
Your mention of starting a family while complaining about a couple of hundred bucks for medical insurance caused me to wonder why you would take on the huge expense of bringing a child into the equation.
Since this is in the personal finance forum, where you posted your budget, please don't make excuses that buying health insurance or covering the deductible is outside your budget capabilities when it is more of a priority issue.
Well that wasn't the point of my post. You brought priorities into this. I'm not complaining about anything and I have my priorities in order. Since this is the finance forum, I posted that the Bronze plans don't make financial sense, to me at least, with the way they are set up and with the high deductible. I said nothing about my ability or willingness to pay for one. It doesn't make sense to me to shell out $8K for the year before anything outside of preventive care is covered. I didn't expect such high deductibles for what I think are high premiums for my age group. If you read any of my other posts, you will see that we won't select a bronze plan for these reasons. We will go with Silver or higher and lower deductible and at a higher premium cost. So stop telling me my priorities are misplaced, this thread isn't about priorities.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Well that wasn't the point of my post. You brought priorities into this. I'm not complaining about anything and I have my priorities in order. Since this is the finance forum, I posted that the Bronze plans don't make financial sense, to me at least, with the way they are set up and with the high deductible. I said nothing about my ability or willingness to pay for one. It doesn't make sense to me to shell out $8K for the year before anything outside of preventive care is covered. I didn't expect such high deductibles for what I think are high premiums for my age group. If you read any of my other posts, you will see that we won't select a bronze plan for these reasons. We will go with Silver or higher and lower deductible and at a higher premium cost. So stop telling me my priorities are misplaced, this thread isn't about priorities.
I probably wouldn't have if you hadn't brought it up first.
I'm glad you've been able to muddle through well enough to select the best option for yourselves.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
there is no point in operating as if there is an individual mandate. for the 1st year the penalty for not having insurance is $95. for all we know, they may even waive that in the end. so whatever you do, it should not be impacted by the individual mandate.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is no point in operating as if there is an individual mandate. for the 1st year the penalty for not having insurance is $95. for all we know, they may even waive that in the end. so whatever you do, it should not be impacted by the individual mandate.
You are correct and this is what we are going back and forth about. I would like for her to have insurance, but it would really help us right now for her not to pay $300 next year for coverage. We are working on paying off some CCs from her unemployment days and she's looking for another job with healthcare benefits. However, we have rolled the dice the last 4 years on the insurance and it makes me nervous every time.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You are correct and this is what we are going back and forth about. I would like for her to have insurance, but it would really help us right now for her not to pay $300 next year for coverage. We are working on paying off some CCs from her unemployment days and she's looking for another job with healthcare benefits. However, we have rolled the dice the last 4 years on the insurance and it makes me nervous every time.
if you rolled the dice for the last 4 years, what would be your reason for not rolling the dice now?

im not advising against getting coverage; just not letting the mandate impact your decision.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
if you rolled the dice for the last 4 years, what would be your reason for not rolling the dice now?

im not advising against getting coverage; just not letting the mandate impact your decision.
That's a good point! Because she should have coverage and we've made great progress on our bills. Plus she's had her new job since April where she makes pretty much double what she used to make, so now we can afford it. She would qualify for a subsidy (hopefully) so I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Who do you think was paying for them before the ACA?
im sure, to some degree, the answer is the "wealthy." since they pay most of the taxes, things like Medicaid and other government programs are primarily funded by "the wealthy." so when you shift the burden to the "young and healthy" you are shifting it away from the wealthy and more towards the middle class.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
im sure, to some degree, the answer is the "wealthy." since they pay most of the taxes, things like Medicaid and other government programs are primarily funded by "the wealthy." so when you shift the burden to the "young and healthy" you are shifting it away from the wealthy and more towards the middle class.
Medicaid and other government programs were in place long before the ACA.

I was thinking more along the lines of......everyone else who does carry health insurance.....wealthy or middle class.

Person without insurance gets ill......goes to hospital, can't pay.

Hospital must treat.

To make up for the non paying, the hospital raises cost of care across the board.

Costs go up...... insurance companies raise everyone's premiums to cover the increases.

Those who do carry health insurance end up paying for those who don't.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
That's a good point! Because she should have coverage and we've made great progress on our bills. Plus she's had her new job since April where she makes pretty much double what she used to make, so now we can afford it. She would qualify for a subsidy (hopefully) so I'm thinking it might be a good idea.
This points out something about unmarried couples.
Total household income will not be taken into consideration when these legally single people apply for subsidies, I would guess.

There are more than one or two couples that don't bother with marriage these days. Marriage takes a financial hit with this.
Nobody with an existing condition can be charged more, even those that are 100% sure of costing big time right away and forever....but a totally healthy smoker that may possibly never submit a bill can be.
Makes sense to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance