Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Both parties are in too deep with the insurance companies. Will never happen. Our politicians will keep whoring themselves out.
Then hopefully ACA will crash, with the insurance companies folding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Then hopefully ACA will crash, with the insurance companies folding.
How will they fold? The govt just gave them 30 million customers of which the vast majority will have their premiums at least partially paid for by the govt?
They just got the biggest infusion of business in the history of the world thanks to their political donations and our leader's cowardice.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
How will they fold? The govt just gave them 30 million customers of which the vast majority will have their premiums at least partially paid for by the govt?
They just got the biggest infusion of business in the history of the world thanks to their political donations and our leader's cowardice.
Beats me. I don't know how. But others are saying ACA (and by extension, them) will crash. And if that does happen, then ...

Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Isn't that the way all insurance works?
not exactly. sure, the non-users subsidize the users, but there are important differences. in the next 2 years, you are going to see the cost of health insurance skyrocket. you are going to see millions of employees turn over from being full time to part time (the part timers will head to the exchanges especially if they are unhealthy." id imagine you will also see it hinder job growth as companies that can reduce their workforces to under 50 FTE's will.

you are in a funny position right now, seeing people pay higher premiums and trying to come up with an explanation of "you were paying for it anyway." ummm that doesn't really make sense to someone who is paying more than they were before. yes, the wealthy will need to pay more because of all the additional Medicaid recipients. but the other side of it is that PPACA also shifts some more of the burden on the healthy and young and has real impact on the middle class.

when the individual mandate actually has teeth, you may see the growth of cost of health insurance to slow down.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Beats me. I don't know how. But others are saying ACA (and by extension, them) will crash. And if that does happen, then ...
PPACA may crash, but im sure the insurance companies will be fine. the next 2 years are going to be very rough and if PPACA doesn't fix some major flaws, I don't see how people will tolerate it.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
PPACA may crash, but im sure the insurance companies will be fine. the next 2 years are going to be very rough and if PPACA doesn't fix some major flaws, I don't see how people will tolerate it.
Why do you think the insurance companies will be fine? Their only hope to stay in business is PPACA and all the new customers being sent their way.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Why do you think the insurance companies will be fine? Their only hope to stay in business is PPACA and all the new customers being sent their way.
im not sure why you think that is their only hope. they have managed to survive before PPACA and they will survive after (unless we move over to a single payer system). the insurance companies only cover people that they are paid for. so if PPACA crashes and people lose coverage, sure the insurance companies wont get that revenue but they don't have the expense either. they will adjust as long as enough people need to be covered by private insurance.

and im not at all sure how PPACA will crash. id imagine they will probably make adjustments. if things go badly enough and it causes the democrats to lose the senate in 2014, then the law will be drastically change/eliminated.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
im not sure why you think that is their only hope. they have managed to survive before PPACA and they will survive after (unless we move over to a single payer system). the insurance companies only cover people that they are paid for. so if PPACA crashes and people lose coverage, sure the insurance companies wont get that revenue but they don't have the expense either. they will adjust as long as enough people need to be covered by private insurance.

and im not at all sure how PPACA will crash. id imagine they will probably make adjustments. if things go badly enough and it causes the democrats to lose the senate in 2014, then the law will be drastically change/eliminated.
Lots of the insurance companies were in serious trouble before PPACA. Primarily because of their predatory practices, shoddy products and absolutely horrible customer service. In short, they can't revert to their former practices and remain in business.

So if PPCA crashes and the insurance companies are caught, then just how will law will be drastically changed/eliminated?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,099,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
But you're not spending $8k a year... Unless you have some catastrophic run of events, or like to have weekly doctor visits... You're only spending $3k ish. Look at health insurance in the same way as you do car insurance... It's good to have when you need it, but you don't usually plan on crashing your car every year...

Not that I particularly like the US health system... Just trying to put a positive spin if at all possible

Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
unfortunately for your logic, ACA isn't causing anyone's premiums to go down.
A decrease from "not available at any cost" - the typical response for those who exceeded lifetime caps - to what those folks will be paying under ACA is still a decrease. Just because you have difficulty or are unwilling to count the human cost of inadequate healthcare doesn't mean that cost doesn't get counted.

Similar human costs have been paid under the previous system for preexisting conditions, and by the poor: Inadequate healthcare, leading to substandard living, lack of productivity, etc., punctuated by critical events where hospital ERs stabilize their condition, and then discharge the patient - no cancer treatments - no costly diagnostics to find out what's really wrong - just try to keep the patient from dying today, wrap them up, and send them home.

Quantifying human costs, so you can understand the true costs of a specific approach, so you can make a rational decision that factors in the entirety of the matter, requires compassion and consideration of others. It requires being willing to admit that from society's perspective your own personal comfort and luxury is a lesser priority than someone else's life and health.

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on how much our Federal and States Income taxes will be lowered after 1/1/14?
The costs of EMTALA have never been directly reimbursed by federal or state agencies. EMTALA is explicitly an unfunded mandate on hospitals.

Quote:
I mean, all these uninsured people will have coverage then so we don't have to pay for their ER visits now (supposedly it will be cheaper to give them insurance or so the argument has been made).
It will take time for EMTALA-related costs to decline. If you read C-D you'll see many claims by folks that they will evade the individual mandate or otherwise try to sidestep the law. EMTALA will still require them to receive care. Same story for tourists. Eventually, though, hospitals will have lower costs for treating the uninsured.

There is no law that requires them to do the right thing and reduce their prices to reflect that lower overhead. However, you implicitly have raised a good idea for a new regulation to pass: Medical Loss Ratio imposed on hospitals that accept Medicare and Medicaid. However, I think the industry and constituencies that oppose government regulations will try to obstruct such efforts, so be prepared for that if you're sincere in your interest in passing a new regulation imposed on hospitals like you suggest.

Quote:
Why not put EVERYONE on Obamacare to make the pool as large as possible to maximize the savings? Eliminate the business tax credit for giving health insurance and give it to all individuals who must buy their policy from a company on the exchange. No exemptions. Seems the fairest way to do it.
It is, but it also would represent even more regulation than ACA represents, and ACA, being a compromise between the left and the right, was deliberately designed to be a middle road, i.e., more regulation than the right would want and less regulation than the left wanted.

If people start sincerely supporting the idea of lowering the costs of healthcare, so much so that that support is greater than the people's support for those who protect those with financial power in our society, then we may see more changes. However, as things are now, half the people care so much about freedom from government regulation, even with something as critically important as healthcare, even if it means letting big pharma, medical device manufacturers, the insurance industry, etc., get windfall profits while such costs strangle discretionary spending of the middle class. Until majorities in both major parties switch to a "people over profits" perspectives and the right-wing relaxes its anti-regulation stance, we will have to make things work within a system whereby costs remain high.

Last edited by bUU; 10-19-2013 at 03:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance