Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
You don't need the government telling you what you need? You have it all mixed up. The government wants you not to dump your uninsured self onto the rest of us when you get sick or injured and need medical care that your insurance will not even cover. I don't want you stealing money from me for your $500,000 medical care that you wouldn't have if you didn't have the Obamacare. The government is trying to protect all of us from those who don't feel they ought to pay for insurance that will truly protect them from a catastrophy costing $100K or more.

Your high deductible plan doesn't have that coverage to pay for a young person's severe injuries after a car accident, sports injury, etc.

Why should the government "steal" money from people who never had kids and make them pay for public school taxes (which are, in my county where I come from, over $3,000 a year per family on top of the usual property taxes.) I will start talking like you! See how silly it is?
1)don't even get me started on the last part of your question. it is absurd that if 2 people make the same amount of money but 1 is single with no kids and the other is married with kids the single person pays way more in taxes than the married person and on top of it gets way less in govt services.

2)you have no idea about the medical plan I have- and yes it would cover sports injuries, car accidents etc. unfortunately i know someone on the same plan I had who had to use it and they ended up with about 300k in medical bills which were paid by the ins company.

ive had basically the same plan for many years(changed a drop when i changed states) and i got it exactly for something catastrophic happening not to insure against a cold or flu.

3)the govt isnt trying to protect anyone. they are buying votes and helping out their buddies at the insurance companies.who is being protected when either way they are forcing you to pay for coverage for other people?these insurance companies don't run at a loss.

if they were actually trying to protect people then why is NOTHING ever done when insurance companies try and weasel their way out of paying legitimate claims?

how are they protecting young people by making them subsidze the cost of health care for older people and making the cost of their insurance go way up?

what's their way of protecting people from paying for other people's care? using tax payer money to subsidize some people, and forcing young people to buy plans at an artificially high rate -some protection. what's next ?to protect people against car accidents cut out their seatbelts and airbags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
exactly
in almost every state the cost of insurance is going up for young people.
forcing them to subsidize old people is going to make even less of the pay for the insurance and just pay the ridiculous fine.so while im sure some people who don't make much money now will get insurance bc they will qualify for a govt subsidy, others will drop their insurance because their rates just skyrocketed, especially if they know that no matter what if they get a brain tumor, into a car accident etc the hospital will take care of them anyway at the tax payers expense.
Yeah.

For me there's very little difference between the fine and the INCREASE in insurance. I'll probably just get bent over with the 70% increase in health insurance cost. It's the moderate earners who will have a great incentive under Obamacare to drop their insurance. They aren't poor enough to get the welfare subsidy but don't earn enough that the 1% penalty is that hefty.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Quote:
Since your comments degraded into raving, puerile vulgarity (similar to an anonymous direct message I received from a already-dereg'ed user overnight), it is clear that it would be best off not engaging you further in this discussion.
wow your arguments are incredibly weak.
Actually, my arguments are quite strong. But since your comments degraded into raving, puerile vulgarity, it is clear that it would be best off not engaging you further in this discussion. It is time to let someone else who agrees with you, if there is such a person, pick up your side of the argument, since you no longer have any credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Considering Obamacare policies have increased the cost of health insurance that would pay for those things for young people considerably (for me it's 70% higher than my current similar insurance), what do you think the effect of Obamacare is going to be on healthy young people such as myself?
Pretty much the same thing that happened when young people started paying Social Security and later Medicare taxes for something that wouldn't benefit them until much later in their life, when they are more likely to find themselves with a preexisting condition or having reached a lifetime cap. At least with ACA, there is actually some chance of (unfortunately) benefiting from the Guaranteed Issue provisions while you're young.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's an interesting question, isn't it.

Considering Obamacare policies have increased the cost of health insurance that would pay for those things for young people considerably (for me it's 70% higher than my current similar insurance), what do you think the effect of Obamacare is going to be on healthy young people such as myself?

Do you think those of us who "gambled" before will rush hour and suddenly buy insurance that costs 70% more than it did last year? I don't.
Do you think some of us who did previously have health insurance may be priced out of the market by a 70% increase in cost and decide to gamble? I do.

I can't even respond to your post if I don't know what you pay for your insurance, what state you live in and what it actually covers. Then we can get down to brass tacks.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
1)don't even get me started on the last part of your question. it is absurd that if 2 people make the same amount of money but 1 is single with no kids and the other is married with kids the single person pays way more in taxes than the married person and on top of it gets way less in govt services.

2)you have no idea about the medical plan I have- and yes it would cover sports injuries, car accidents etc. unfortunately i know someone on the same plan I had who had to use it and they ended up with about 300k in medical bills which were paid by the ins company.

ive had basically the same plan for many years(changed a drop when i changed states) and i got it exactly for something catastrophic happening not to insure against a cold or flu.

3)the govt isnt trying to protect anyone. they are buying votes and helping out their buddies at the insurance companies.who is being protected when either way they are forcing you to pay for coverage for other people?these insurance companies don't run at a loss.

if they were actually trying to protect people then why is NOTHING ever done when insurance companies try and weasel their way out of paying legitimate claims?

how are they protecting young people by making them subsidze the cost of health care for older people and making the cost of their insurance go way up?

what's their way of protecting people from paying for other people's care? using tax payer money to subsidize some people, and forcing young people to buy plans at an artificially high rate -some protection. what's next ?to protect people against car accidents cut out their seatbelts and airbags?

You wrote "it is absurd that if 2 people make the same amount of money but 1 is single with no kids and the other is married with kids the single person pays way more in taxes than the married person "

I have no idea where you got that idea. I never said that.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

OK, please tell me this: Do you feel that I should be paying $2,100 a year for my car insurance when my husband and I have a 30+ years driving record of no accidents and we are supplementing the lousy and reckless drivers on the road, most of them being under the age of 30 - 35 years old? But we do it anyway because the law requires that we carry this insurance in order to drive - and we MUST have a car.

Do you feel it is fair that we pay for public schools even though we have no children? Do you feel that it is fair that we must subsidize the fire and police departments even though we have never had a fire and have no criminal history? And guess who commits the majority of crimes against people? Those under 30. That's who.

Also, your claim that

Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, there is change......good change.

Instead of some people paying nothing toward their care.....they are now going to be contributing.

Instead of eating up thousands of dollars in ER care for things like colds and the flu.....they can see a doctor instead.
This will occur only if people sign up for a policy with its prepostorous deductibles and after they pay those deductibles. The doctor visit will have to be paid for by the patient for the flu.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This will occur only if people sign up for a policy with its prepostorous deductibles and after they pay those deductibles. The doctor visit will have to be paid for by the patient for the flu.
Huh???

Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
People are arguing about cost but what's major is the ceiling in your policy. No more having to go bankrupt with a hospital stay. Most everyone may drive a car and every time you drive off anyone can get in a car accident and the true cost of care kicks in. Look at the big picture. One accident or one good hospital stay can ruin you financially.

Now a major selling benefit is the no pre-existing conditions. There are many people who hate their current occupation of build up college cost just because they should go to college to get a good job. Well now a person can design their own benefits package and try to go into business on their own. Everything has a cost. The ACA (Obama Care) gives you freedom of choice. So for those who complain about deductible well you should have an emergency fund for such things and if you can't afford it them it might be a good idea to start up a part-time business with a goal to leave your 9-5 at some point.

As for companies cutting people hours then it would be in your best interest to just leave that company. It's been said companies have benefit packages to attract and keep good employees well now we see that wasn't completely true.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Obecare, An accident waiting to happen. Pun intended. I hate to think when or if I get Obecare, I have to keep the Obecare insurance card, with his big face on it, in my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance