Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And, if you are diagnosed with Cancer this year or need a major surgery...or heck, even just break your leg....WAY more than $2280......
I was not allowed to rep you on this, sorry but the people who look at paying the penalty instead of buying health insurance because it is cheaper will be the very ones when they have an issue (and they all will) will cry like stuck pigs over their hospital bill and demand something be done about the cost of health care here in the US. Of course those that have nothing for anyone to take could care less, complain but continue to ride the backs of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
And, if you are diagnosed with Cancer this year or need a major surgery...or heck, even just break your leg....WAY more than $2280......
And?

Blue is blue and red isn't. I have insurance right now, but unfortunately it won't be permitted under Obamacare. So, yeah, I'll have to pay almost double what I do now for the same coverage. That or risk it. That has nothing to do with the fact that the penalty is, for most people, much, much cheaper than buying insurance.

For the young and healthy, Obamacare is almost twice as expensive as private insurance that already exists. Anyone who didn't have it before isn't going to run out and pay twice as much for the same thing tomorrow. They'll just pay the trivial penalty. You'll also see some people who currently buy insurance be priced out by the near 100% increase in price.

Now, if you qualify for a welfare subsidy maybe. For me (late 20s health individual) the break-even is right around $30k. If you make more than $30k in your 20s, insurance is just less affordable than it was before. At $30k you get just enough welfare to make the higher-priced Obamacare insurance plans equal to a similar pre-2014 policy. At that price point, you'd get a few people to buy insurance with the penalty who didn't buy it prior to Obamacare. The insurance costs the same (after welfare), but by getting it you avoid the $300 tax penalty. Below $30k, the welfare makes insurance cheaper than it was previously and will probably entice some people to buy it who didn't otherwise.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I was not allowed to rep you on this, sorry but the people who look at paying the penalty instead of buying health insurance because it is cheaper will be the very ones when they have an issue (and they all will) will cry like stuck pigs over their hospital bill and demand something be done about the cost of health care here in the US. Of course those that have nothing for anyone to take could care less, complain but continue to ride the backs of others.
No, the people paying the penalty will be everyone since the insurance is more expensive. It's more expensive because you can get cancer and then signup for a policy. The mandate and paltry 1% penalty is designed ot make that less attractive, but it's massively ineffective at that which is part of the reason why it's so expensive. You can just choose to pay a small fee and then buy insurance when you need it. Does it work in an emergency? No. But considering many people currently risk it who could buy insurance for about half of what they will be able to in 2014, I but there's going to be a lot who will risk it come 2014 when buying insurance costs almost twice as much and denying coverage for preexisting conditions is illegal. The 1% fee just isn't sufficient to make much of a difference.

Just make the fee as expensive as the insurance and you wouldn't have adverse selection.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
post 2=
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's not affordable at all. In fact, it's a scam to bankrupt all Americans and all businesses. You'd best hope that your insurance company hangs on.
I'm curious as to what benefit some one would derive from bankrupting all Americans and all businesses...

Also now that the plan has been out for almost 2 weeks what would be a ballpark figure for this ACA for a family of 4 making a combined income of $75K a year?

Last edited by jambo101; 10-12-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
That is completely false! While you may have found a doctor that will give you that deep of a discount, if a provider is in network, they most certainly do have a negotiated rate and even if they bill the insurance company $800, if the negotiated rate is $150, that is what the bill is. You pay your part of the $150, NOT the $800. If you have insurance and they are making cash deals on the side with you that is a violation of their contract with the health insurance company and basically insurance fraud...
the negotiated rates can be quite low.

i had a cyst on my foot removed under my HSA . the bill was 950.00 bucks but under the hsa negotiated rates i paid 150.00 bucks even though i met no deductable.

there is usually a big difference in the price i pay out of pocket under the hsa vs just going in on my own and payig out of pocket..

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Americans love to gamble... look at how long the lines are to buy Powerball tickets when the jackpot is high. However, most aren't interested in betting against a catastrophic health situation when they are young and have no major personal equities that could be taken away by medical bills.

Again, it's wrong that ACA favours the sick and the poor, and doesn't reward the middle class, young and those living healthy. I think the premium rates were overly simplified by going only by income level, age, and smoking habits. What no other discounts for living a healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly or eating right? So an obese non-smoker has the same premiums as a fit non-smoker of the same age and income level? What no questions about how much alcohol or soda is consumed?

While I have a little sympathy for those who are catastrophically sick and poor, my support for them completely vanishes when they are overweight or chose to have children when there are genetic predispositions in their family for alcoholism, mental illness and medical conditions like heart disease and cancer, yet chose to have children anyway, and also chose to have children that caused them to remain at a poverty level all their lives. Send their medical bills to the Vatican, since their popes have told their followers to not use birth control, mandated them to "go forth and multiple" and pray for miracles instead of taking charge of their own lives.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Hey y'all, I finally got my application submitted. I gave up on trying to log in to the Marketplace. I created 2 accounts but both times it said I would get an email to confirm but I did not, so I could not log in.

Finally called the 1-800 number. I was connected with a live human in 30 SECONDS! She was friendly and helpful. She filled my application out for me over the phone. It took 39 minutes total. If you have no dependents it would definitely take less time. You need to have lots of info handy, such as employer info, ss#, etc. She even took down the contact info for the benefits administrator at my employer (in case they decide to call to confirm that insurance through the employer would be 25% of my salary)

They are supposed to email me more information about my eligibility for tax credits as well as plans that are available to me.

If you are just seeking info about plans, you can go to Health Care State Map | The White House
You can find out your options in your state without creating an account or giving personal info. AND they make it more clear that these costs are BEFORE any subsidies you may qualify for. You do NOT need to do this before you call the number to apply.

If you've not been able to get on the website, DEFINITELY make the call!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Well, I'm 51 and my husband is 56 and we are self employed, so as you can imagine, our health insurance costs us an arm and a leg every month - specifically $600 a month WITH a $5000 deductible EACH. No pre existing conditions. I got on the site and looked at our options and the same insurance would cost us $200 MORE a month.

BCBS - PLEASE hang in there! I can't believe I'm even saying that - right before Obamacare kicked in, they upped our premiums by nearly $100 a month, and I fully expect a similar effect next year.

One thing is for sure - our healthcare system does need an overhaul, but I can't even begin to come up with any good suggestions so I guess I'll just sit here along with everyone else and hope and pray I die a sudden death rather than a lingering illness and then death.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I'm 51 and my husband is 56 and we are self employed, so as you can imagine, our health insurance costs us an arm and a leg every month - specifically $600 a month WITH a $5000 deductible EACH. No pre existing conditions. I got on the site and looked at our options and the same insurance would cost us $200 MORE a month.

BCBS - PLEASE hang in there! I can't believe I'm even saying that - right before Obamacare kicked in, they upped our premiums by nearly $100 a month, and I fully expect a similar effect next year.

One thing is for sure - our healthcare system does need an overhaul, but I can't even begin to come up with any good suggestions so I guess I'll just sit here along with everyone else and hope and pray I die a sudden death rather than a lingering illness and then death.
That's actually very cheap. Average insurance costs $15,000 per year for a family. Age would make it more expensive, but you have fewer people than the average family which is about 3.2

Old 10-13-2013, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 15,743 times
There's been some great articles recently at The Guardian worth a look if still trying to make sense of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance