Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times

Advertisements

Aren't engineers often stereotypically cheap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:11 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
They are, except when it comes to what they want. I forego nice cars, nice clothes, expensive jewelry, cologne, shoes, etc for five figure vacations and nice dinners out, for example. Others spends thousands on video games, or warhammer, or collecting movie crap. For me, theres very little difference between 2 and 7k when it comes to something iw ill do once. Plus the ring is tension set, which gives it a nerdy cool quality to it, for me.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:49 PM

20 posts, read 37,922 times
What if you max out your 401k to lower the 3 months salary so you spend less? I always wondered about the 3 month rule and how pretax deductions and contributions played into that role.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

i thought those were accountants?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:19 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i thought those were accountants?
Could be that too.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Without knowing other details of the love story, I withhold my comments. What is the fiance like? Sure, she likes an expensive wedding ring, but is she the kind of woman that spends big money on everything else? Or is she the sort of person that has a particular interest (a big wedding ring) on which she would spend tons of money but is frugal otherwise? I know that if there is a girl I love dearly and want to spend the rest of my life with, and she asks for a $30k wedding ring, I will not hesitate to give it to her if that makes her happy. I work hard for my money, but the fact that I want to marry her speaks volumes about her personality, and $30k is nothing in the grand scheme of things if you compare that to the costs associated with buying a house, raising kids, and other troubles in life.

Maybe I'm just a silly romantic. After all, the girl I've been having a huge crush on is dating someone else

Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

As much as that is a stereotype, it tends to be one that doesn't ring true. Just look at the parking garage on some tech companies, especially as you go up to levels where there are few cars, some really spend money on cars, most apparently on houses in good school districts, some save their money so they can move away when they are 40 and live easy, really depends on priorities.

I prefer spending money on experiences rather than stuff because that is what tends to give me more satisfaction in life, besides the fact that I can't afford the real estate to hoard stuff.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I heard this story today from my colleague. We are both engineers.
So, his brother (also an engineer) is getting married, and they are buying a $30k wedding ring, and planning a $30k wedding. Probably 2 years of savings for him, although with a demanding fiancé like this he might not save a single dime.
To achieve this, they are spending all their savings, as well as borrowing money from relatives/friends, as I heard.
From that amount of money, they could instead pay the down payment for an apartment.
My colleague also told me that he thinks I could not get a good wife if I don't spend at least 15-20k on a ring.

How common is this?
I am from Europe and there we don't do this. We don't blew our chance to start our life on buying a ring and a party instead.
Are they nuts?
$30k ring does not buy a good wife, no matter how you define a good wife.

If you define it as model hot, 9/10; those girls know their "sexual market place" worth and do not hesitate to go for a hedge fund, finance guy, who will have no problem spending $150k for a ring.

If you define good wife as having good qualities, then it's more what qualities you bring to the relationship that matter. If saving for a house and living debt free without too much consumerism is your goal, you will find women like that, but not that many in the U.S.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
If saving for a house and living debt free without too much consumerism is your goal, you will find women like that, but not that many in the U.S.

Care to elaborate?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
With or without the ring I spend the exact same dollar amount throughout my lifetime. The difference is the total value I get for all that money combined. I could also blew it all on drugs.

I was trying to clarify that what I meant was not the exact dollar amount for the discussion, but the relative amount to all your assets. Also making decisions like this, and making our "loved one" to make decisions like this through emotional black mail (for example: I love you, but only if you buy me a $xxx ring. Yes, I merry you, but buy the minimum $xxx ring first. As well as... shopping list of things only I benefit from, and if we think about it even I benefit from it less than otherwise...).
I see your point as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Wow! 30K on a ring sounds crazy to me. I guess it would make sense if I were making like 250k/year. I bought a $1500 engagement ring that is upgradeable, we can increase the size of the diamond as we progress in life and bring in more income. She loves the ring because it has three stones and I didn't go further into debt to get it. If your fiance gives you a price that you should spend on a ring......RUN!!!!
My fiancé did not give me a $ amount to spend on the ring. I think she would've been fine with a $1K ring. That said, I took it up on my own to find a really nice ring and do a lot of research on pricescope. com just to understand which diamonds were the best round cuts and where are they best bought from.

Her ring ended up costing me just a hair under $20,000.

Would I do it all over again now that I am 3 years married (happily by the way)....?

Of course, but this time I'd probably go for something like $40,000 to really wow her. It's nice to reward your good wife with things. True, they're just things, but life's a fleeting moment and you can't take your money with you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance