Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I haven't had time to catch up on this thread, but am still enjoying the back and forth.
For those that read the 4 hour work week some of this stuff is not too far fetched. I agree 20K is tight, maybe 30k is a better cushion.
Going back to my nephew in hawaii I asked him if he gets bored. He says fixing up his little place on his piece of land keeps him busy. Gardening and raising food and enjoying all the outdoor activities that hawaii offers keeps him busy. He has planted some mango trees last I heard. He doesn't even own a TV although he does like having his internet.
He has had time to try things he is interested in like creating experiments with self sustaining aquaculture -the thing with the pond and the fish and plants all self sustaining.
He asked me if I wanted to move next to him as there are still lots for sale for under 30K.
While he is happy that is not for me at this point in life and to be honest I worry what happens when he gets much older. He's 40 now so he still has options.
Anyways this thread has been a great read on a concept of living and it's validity.
What happens when he gets older? The government pays for him.

I find it interesting that these back to nature types who don't want to contribute or answer to anyone, and show no respect toward the average working person have no problem using services provided by working people. When one of these slackers gets sick they sure want the latest medical care, and they never have health insurance. If they are so nature based and independent let them grow some herbs and deal with their health issues themselves. All of a sudden working suckers like emts, doctors and nurses become pretty important when you're in pain or bleeding or can't breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:11 PM

416 posts, read 871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You don't come off as charming as all. Actually you sound more like you're trying to brag about making more than 100,000 dollars.
That was sarcasm. I don't intend to come off as charming at all. I went from making $8.50 per hour at age 16 to over $200,000 per year at age 24, while paying for myself to go get my Bachelors and Masters, so I have full rights to be exceptionally proud of my accomplishments, and if anyone has issues with that, there's an undisclosed part of my body they can suck.

I simply find the idea of living on $20k repulsive, to be completely honest, and have no issues, at all, expressing it. *shrug*

Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM

259 posts, read 522,707 times
OP, many of the naysayers seem to be almost angry at your way of living. They're having a really strong emotional response to you that is on the verge of being personal. You've handled the critism very maturally. Kudos to you!

Keep us updated on how things progress with you over the years. I wish you all the best!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Can I ask why you believe I don't live well?

Is living well in the US supposed to mean you have a 80" TV, Apple everything, 4000 sq ft home, $300/month cell phone bill, $600 car payment, etc?
Yes!!

Whatelse are you living for? To be frugal and penny pinching?

The smart people work to make lots of money and invest so they can enjoy life and buy what makes them happy and have a relaxing stress-free retirement.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the good life? if you call sweating and worrying about every expense looming not on the radar the good life go right ahead.
Exactly!! Living the good life means making good decisions, not penny pinching living frugal. All that budget stuff is all marketing.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, since he refuses to tell anyone how he gets his $20k a year, I will assume he does nothing. Until he states otherwise, that is my belief.

As for caring about his job...I really don't care. As for the car, not everyone knows how to fix a transmission, or rebuild an engine. Again, my point is, this is not for the average person. The average person does not know their way around a car engine.

Regardless, I don't care what he does. If he's happy living on 20k, goodie for him. The only part that bothers me is that he is putting out this false information and some naive kid may actually believe it. THAT is what bothers me. Yes, 20k is too low. No, it really doesn't have to be much more than that, but 20k is too low. Maybe that would have worked 20 years ago...not now. Prices for everything are going up, and up, and up. 20k does not get you what it used to.

I stated, "What I did was work and go to school". Did you miss the last three words of that sentence? My apartment was $450 a month, in Seattle. Seattle is extremely expensive, despite popular belief that others cities are more expensive. I believed what everyone else believed. Wrong, it was expensive. In fact, when I was moving from there, Forbes magazine rated it the #1 Most Expensive City in the entire US. No one believes that. Until they live there.

But anyway, school. What on earth I was spending my money on was school.
Depending on where you live $20k is plenty. If you choose to live in a high-dollar location, (like Seattle), then you must be willing to pay the price. I know tons of people who live on lots less than $20k. My mother lived on about $14k and managed to save a LOT of that. It's all about how you choose to live your life and what you are willing and happy to do without.

I agree that people should not be leeching off the government if they are able bodied. But it doesn't mean that you have to work 80 hours a week to be happy either.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I, for one, am not angry. I've even said what he's doing shows motivation -- to a certain extent. IF he saved all his chores and birthday money from childhood -- and worked and saved his money from 16-26, or even 16 to 30. That's 10 years or more of living on practically no money to save it. That does take a certain amount of persistence, I'll say that.

Now, usually from 16 to 20 a person isn't making THAT much, BUT living at home and saving every dime -- clearly the OP could save money even if only making 15K, 20K or even 25K or 30K. I don't think the OP ever said how much he's made at ANY given time in his life.

So did he EVER make 30K, 40K -- and pack very cent away until 26 and THEN retire? OP, what is the MOST you've every made? I ask because even saving 10K a year from age 15 (and hardly any 15 year old can do that) to 25 -- won't likely get you enough money to have passive income earning 20K.

And don't forget OUT OF THAT money he earned from 15 to 25 the OP said he bought a house and a car. So he's asking us to believe he did all that and retired by 30?

OP, if you're not on government assistance why not give more details about how you've achieved so much. Help us understand. Some of the 'anger' may be coming from a lack of information or understanding about how you've done it.

And to be fair to some of the posters. Yes, some may be angry that someone who is able-bodied (if the OP is) would rather live off the government than work.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
$20,000/year is a poverty level wage in most of the USA, even in a dirt cheap state either in the Deep South or in the northern plains states.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Not to the OP. He swears he's living "the good life" -- because he doesn't have to work and can still save money.

Whatever.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think a single person can get by on 20K a year if everything goes pretty much perfectly at 20. But would recommend that own home and zero expense.in fact would own hoe at all. Then as life moves o highly like a gotcha will occur you can't recover from. The older you get the more you fall behind on living that long for fixed income with COL which does keep you even really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance