Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudha View Post
Ask if one would rather be in OP's shoes at <30 years old with a fixed, nominal income . . .
How does one arrange this? Where does the money come from? What is your source of such an income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM

67 posts, read 80,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
How does one arrange this? Where does the money come from? What is your source of such an income?
Very carefully?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Very carefully?
It's funny that you are speaking of someone enjoying their life while working as an outlier and then seem to think someone being under 25 with enough in assets to generate 20k/yr post-tax a paid for house and a paid for car all on his own as if OP or his lifestyle can somehow be a normal lifestyle for many 20 year olds if the plan carefully...............

Old 01-16-2014, 10:52 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
We're not talking any ONE person, are we? Isn't this a prime example of an outlier? We're talking averages and majority. Where do MOST people end up?

Tell ya what. Set up a poll. Ask if one would rather be in OP's shoes at <30 years old with a fixed, nominal income and restrictive spending habits or someone who is >60 with enough disposable income to live in a high rise apartment and look down upon the street folk passing by. Which would they choose...
I think you are being a bit restrictive.

Here is a better question.

Which person would you rather be?

Person A
  • 30 years old
  • Retired
  • Fixed nominal income
  • restrictive spending habits
  • Lives in a low COL area (may or may not be their ideal location)
  • Fixed lifestyle (no marriage, no family, single for life)
Person B
  • 60 years old
  • Retired
  • Worked 40-45 hours a week from 25-60
  • Has a wife/SO and children
  • Was able to enjoy life while also saving for retirement
  • Lives in a house/apartment of their choosing in the area they want to live
  • Has enough in assets to generate an income that will support them living the life they lived before retirement

Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
without the income side and how you got there, why not just call this thread post your expenses.

millions live on 20k,15k even less , and that's great but so what. unless you live where they do and live like they do who cares what their budget is.

but take someone who at the age of 24 ,on his own made enough to pay off his house and develop a way of getting a 20k income that an average person has a chance of duplicating and then we have something of interest.

show me ways I may be able to use bits and pieces of that in our own plan and I am all ears.

I love stories like that . I am always looking to steal ideas.

but posting your expenses and going I am living on this really is useless in my opinion. it is done every day by millions.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-16-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Maybe you should try keeping your story straight. Every once in a while you'll run into somebody with a much better memory than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Can you show me the quote you are referring to? You have exagerated/misquoted several things to make your points in past responses.
I'm sorry; but, yes, Linda_d you have shown more than once to either construe or get confused over the real facts involved in a story or statement.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Remember when you said you took a risk that could've landed you back in the ghetto? For anyone like me, the their worst case scenario is a part time job.
Actually he stated he would live in the projects if his risky deals failed.

Projects = Public Housing

His backup plan was to have taxpayers support his family.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
I'm sorry; but, yes, Linda_d you have shown more than once to either construe or get confused over the real facts involved in a story or statement.
And to conveniently ignore posts where she was corrected.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

actually they wouldn't accept me because unlike you I had a job and the income would have been over the limit.

being in debt does not get you subsidized housing. I would have to quit my job in reality and take something at minimum wage or so.

then I could let tax payers subsidize me.

on the other hand I could have ended up in the ghetto in regular housing and that is not subsidized

Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

Uh-oh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance