Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 PM

195 posts, read 281,766 times

Advertisements

If you don't pay for at least several years of vocational training these days, you are kicking your nestlings out without them even having feathers, much less the ability to fly. If you don't intend to provide this, you have no business having kids. I'm in college right now, and the tuition, books and fees run 6k per year. Big deal. If the student wishes to live in a dorm and eat 3 meals a day here, it's another 4k per year. Still very cheap. I put 15k per year in my pocket, from scholarships, loans, and grants, but I don't live on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 37,811 times
Retirement, of course....my sister is a college professor and says she can tell which are the students who are paying their own way and which ones have it all paid for...the ones paying for their own college are more serious, dedicated, and do better all the way around. I had to pay for my own way, and so did my husband. We are both successful professionals. My 2 oldest sons both went into the Navy for 5 years, and so their college is covered, plus housing expenses...another good option...plus they got to travel the world and get paid for it! It worked out well for them...

Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne40744 View Post
Retirement, of course....my sister is a college professor and says she can tell which are the students who are paying their own way and which ones have it all paid for...the ones paying for their own college are more serious, dedicated, and do better all the way around.
How in the world can she tell? Does she outright ask them who paid for their college? I knew tons and tons of serious students who had their college paid for. And I know many who paid their own way who had failing grades, skipped classes, etc. I don't believe it's obvious just by looking at students.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM

577 posts, read 1,001,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
How in the world can she tell? Does she outright ask them who paid for their college? I knew tons and tons of serious students who had their college paid for. And I know many who paid their own way who had failing grades, skipped classes, etc. I don't believe it's obvious just by looking at students.
I would gather that the stories of the students that payed their own way are more memorable and stick out more than the students that had their college paid for but were also just as diligent in their studies.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,416,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Any financial adviser will tell you to save for retirement first. We have way more saved for retirement.
yup! my son is 3 and i have 2 others younger. i don't really have a college savings account yet, but will start soon. so my retirement savings is substantial. every financial advisor i know tells people to max out your retirement accounts before putting a penny into college savings.

also - a ROTH IRA can be used to pay college tuition.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,402,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
I would gather that the stories of the students that payed their own way are more memorable and stick out more than the students that had their college paid for but were also just as diligent in their studies.
My parents paid for my college and I was a solid 3.00 student. I don't buy that if I had been paying my own way I would have studied harder. Maybe some would...but I think for many, it wouldn't matter either way. By college, you're either a good student or you're not.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,608,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
If you don't pay for at least several years of vocational training these days, you are kicking your nestlings out without them even having feathers, much less the ability to fly. If you don't intend to provide this, you have no business having kids. I'm in college right now, and the tuition, books and fees run 6k per year. Big deal. If the student wishes to live in a dorm and eat 3 meals a day here, it's another 4k per year. Still very cheap. I put 15k per year in my pocket, from scholarships, loans, and grants, but I don't live on campus.
Do you mean you're living on borrowed money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance