Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM

658 posts, read 847,975 times

Advertisements

I know some people dread doing a budget to the point where they won't do one at all.

It took some time for me to actually enjoy it because while I used to make them out several months in advance, I wouldn't follow them to the tee.

Now I am much better at budgeting and I update my it every other day - I actually look forward to it.

What about you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 78,757 times
I have been following Robert Platt Bell on the stingy living blog for over two years. His comments were the key to me maintaining a budget.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
Good for you. Your heading down the correct life path.

After 41 years as a corporate department manager where I was annually judged by my ability to live within my
Department budget or ( altered Budget ) . I still utilize the skills in my retired life which I learned in my work life.

Just two items to think about.

1: A budget is a planned expectation of what you THINK is going to happen. So plan the best you can, and expect a few unplanned events which may occur.

2: If your finding it necessary to alter your planned budget every couple days. Attempt to look furtherer into your future with different expectations. ( not Rose colored glasses. ) Because Oop's do happen.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
I like financial saving, investing, and budgeting in general.
I like exploring financial topics -- and mostly seeing savings and assets go up, up up.

When I was younger (in my 30s and early 40s) I was addicting to working overtime so I could see a huge paycheck.
It was like I had dollar signs for eye balls Kah-ching, kah-ching was all I could think about.

I watch a lot of financial advice and investing shows, I love business topics.
There's so much to explore...budgeting, saving, investing.....a person's thoughts/believes about money affects every aspect of his or her life.....

Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molah View Post
I have been following Robert Platt Bell on the stingy living blog for over two years. His comments were the key to me maintaining a budget.

I will have to look this fella up.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Alabama View Post
Good for you. Your heading down the correct life path.

After 41 years as a corporate department manager where I was annually judged by my ability to live within my
Department budget or ( altered Budget ) . I still utilize the skills in my retired life which I learned in my work life.

Just two items to think about.

1:A budget is a planned expectation of what you THINK is going to happen. So plan the best you can, and expect a few unplanned events which may occur.

2: If your finding it necessary to alter your planned budget every couple days. Attempt to look furtherer into your future with different expectations. ( not Rose colored glasses. ) Because Oop's do happen.
Hey. I am not sure if #2 was directed toward my initial post concerning me updating my budget often or not, but I just wanted to clear up something.

When I said update, I meant I pretty much make sure a payment/withdrawal/deposit was accounted for according to my budget via checking it often. Then I look at my current total, take that and compare it to my original budget by looking to see what other expenses I have that's left. It keeps me from assuming I have a bit more discretionary income than I actually do.

Previously when I was frustrated with budgeting, it was because I would make out my budget, see what payments were cleared, but I mistakenly felt that my budget was solid. I thought I had it so together that I wouldn't check it to stay updated- this resulted in a few overdraft charges last year, sigh.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
I check my finances daily!

Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
budgets seem to end up like diets.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Ugh. I really would like to budget. I've even tried to get help setting up a budget by offering to pay bookkeepers and accountants. I've asked family and friends for help over the years.

I always get responses along the lines of "Oh, it's easy. All you have to do is..." At that point they either rattle off amounts, percentages, or suggest prioritizing needs.

It is not easy for me. I need something more concrete. I started thinking I had an odd defect that made me incapable of organizing the simple budget. But, I realize that much of my work, which is second nature to me, is incomprehensible to others.

So, I just don't spend anything beyond basic living expenses and whatever I have left when I get paid again, I put in savings.

Not much of a plan, I admit.

I really wish I could find someone, whom I would pay, to help me set up a budget.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I know some people dread doing a budget to the point where they won't do one at all.

It took some time for me to actually enjoy it because while I used to make them out several months in advance, I wouldn't follow them to the tee.

Now I am much better at budgeting and I update my it every other day - I actually look forward to it.

What about you all?
I see a budding spreadsheet fanatic -- planning retirement and savings, LOL.

Quote:
When I said update, I meant I pretty much make sure a payment/withdrawal/deposit was accounted for according to my budget via checking it often. Then I look at my current total, take that and compare it to my original budget by looking to see what other expenses I have that's left. It keeps me from assuming I have a bit more discretionary income than I actually do.

Previously when I was frustrated with budgeting, it was because I would make out my budget, see what payments were cleared,
Question - why wait until until a payment clears before entering into the payments column/reducing available budget? You've made the payment, it isn't going to change, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance