Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM

374 posts, read 721,651 times

Advertisements

put it all into TSLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Passive investing FTW, for example:

Permanent Portfolio - Early Retirement Extreme Wiki

Despite passing Level 2 of the CFA, I've never had more success in investing by actively trading as opposed to passively investing.

I highly recommend you divide you portfolio into 2 portions, 1 passively managed and 1 actively traded, the latter obviously in the minority (i.e. 10-20%). Do whatever risky strategy you want with the active portion and let the passive portion do its work over the years. Periodically rebalance back to your active and passive portions to their target weights.

I strongly advise against this line of thinking: say you make a 50% return day trading one year, you continue risking 100% of your principal AND earnings in your subsequent trades. WRONG. In a perfect world, you can get a nice 50% compounded return over the next 10 years. However, this involves risking everything you've got every single moment the stock market's open over the next 10 years. The anxiety, panic, and frustration you'll deal with over the next 10 years will quickly wear you down. Trust me, if you survive that, $1 million won't be enough compensation for the sheer anguish you'll need to endure.

When you're constantly risking all or most of your wealth in day trading, it becomes difficult to think clearly. Plus, a single bad trade over the next 10 years is enough to wipe out most of the hard work you've put in to grow your wealth.

Instead, risk a small portion of your net worth each year like I said above. Transfer your profits to your passive portfolio (where the vast majority of your wealth is held) each year. Stick with a relatively safe and simple allocation in your passive portfolio (i.e. 60/40 stocks and bonds or the Permanent Portfolio). If you lose money in your day trading portfolio, do not replenish it with your passive portfolio.

Good luck.
This! Thanks man, you are right. Even if I do manage to earn 50% a year, one bad trade can wipe it all away(another flash crash in the wrong direction)..I will definitely take your advice though.
I need to start putting away my winnings into the passive portfolio and pretend I'm back at starting period.

Thanks as well Big G. Is CAPM realistic in the real world? I've been toying around with the idea of creating a new model based on E(r)+standard deviation of an individual security+E(r) based on target % from a technical target as well as %risk based on a technical support level from buying point.

And yes TSLA...hopefully this recent correction brings buying opps for very long plays. TSLA, AMZN , gold....100 years from now, I can just imagine.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Thanks as well Big G. Is CAPM realistic in the real world? I've been toying around with the idea of creating a new model based on E(r)+standard deviation of an individual security+E(r) based on target % from a technical target as well as %risk based on a technical support level from buying point.
CAPM is overly simplistic. The Fama-French 3-factor model, however, is pretty impressive, especially given its persistence. (That is, even 20 years after being made public, it still provides an edge. So much for "rational economic man".)

Technical factors are complete BS - tea leaves and voodoo. That's been pretty rigorously debunked, by deriving in-sample rules, then looking at their out-of-sample results. Might as well go to Vegas.

In general, someone your age should be buying high standard-deviation stocks. But, if you focus on the s.d. of securities without taking into account their market correlation, you're taking on company-specific risk without being compensated for it. You're throwing away the "free lunch" of diversification.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
I can tell you the most sure fire way to turn 100k into 1 Million dollars, maybe not EXACTLY by 30, but definitely in a short amount of time. First, take that 100k and take it to an investment firm and have it invested in a growth portfolio. Then go to college and get a degree which has a higher probability of landing you a six figure income, or one close to it, I.E. Med school, Aerospace Engineering etc. Assuming you dont have an already well paying job of course. Then move in with your parents, explaining to them that this is a short term investment plan that will pay off massively in the end. Carry no debt, and buy a cheap car to get to work with. Spend NONE of your money except the absolute basics that you need to live, and invest the rest into your growth portfolio. Youll have close to a million in about ten years. Then you can "retire" and help to support the parents who helped you out. If you marry and your wife helps to pay into this plan then you can do it in an even shorter amount of time. This is probably the ONLY way youll get to a million by ~30. Its actually not rocket science, its just that people arent willing to sacrifice their standard of living this much to get rich, but it is doable.

FYI no I am not following this strategy because I dont intend on retiring THAT early. However I do have several Asian coworkers who are doing it. It is very common in the Asian community to live with your parents, and the younger generation of YUPPIES are taking their extra income and buying investment property/stocks and are making a TON of money due to how much free cash they have every month.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
^^^

Sad.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
^^^

Sad.
Prove me wrong. Spend little, make lots, invest all you can = most sure way to build wealth. Every investment guide will tell you this.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Prove me wrong. Spend little, make lots, invest all you can = most sure way to build wealth. Every investment guide will tell you this.
Finished college a quarter of the way there, haven't lived at home since 19, go out regularly, don't really skimp on things.

Live smart, be smart, and wealth comes.

School and living with mommy and daddy aren't the keys to success.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, I would have suggested vwelx but I chose vwinx based on the quote below:
I think he's too extreme on both ends. Wants to do high risk with 30% and low risk with 70%.

He'd be better off just being moderate, not worry as much about rate of return and focusing more on how much he can save.

But I see your point, and WWINX is certainly a good fund for what it is.

OP, if you must gamble with a portion of that 100K (and that is what you're doing), make it 10% (10K), and not 30K.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Finished college a quarter of the way there, haven't lived at home since 19, go out regularly, don't really skimp on things.

Live smart, be smart, and wealth comes.

School and living with mommy and daddy aren't the keys to success.
And? You forgot the part of your explanation that shows how this all worked out for you...

Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I can tell you the most sure fire way to turn 100k into 1 Million dollars, maybe not EXACTLY by 30, but definitely in a short amount of time. First, take that 100k and take it to an investment firm and have it invested in a growth portfolio. Then go to college and get a degree which has a higher probability of landing you a six figure income, or one close to it, I.E. Med school, Aerospace Engineering etc. Assuming you dont have an already well paying job of course. Then move in with your parents, explaining to them that this is a short term investment plan that will pay off massively in the end. Carry no debt, and buy a cheap car to get to work with. Spend NONE of your money except the absolute basics that you need to live, and invest the rest into your growth portfolio. Youll have close to a million in about ten years. Then you can "retire" and help to support the parents who helped you out. If you marry and your wife helps to pay into this plan then you can do it in an even shorter amount of time. This is probably the ONLY way youll get to a million by ~30. Its actually not rocket science, its just that people arent willing to sacrifice their standard of living this much to get rich, but it is doable.
Pretty much all the "retire early" bloggers have done some variation of this. They didn't live with their parents, but they basically lived lower middle class lifestyles on upper middle class incomes and became financially independent in their 30s.

Some upgraded their lifestyles, but very gradually and if they did upgrade it was to "ordinary nice" not to "upper middle class nice".

www.earlyretirementextre.com

www.mrmoneymustache.com

www.retireearlyhomepage.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance