Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 AM

209 posts, read 313,564 times

Advertisements

Just wondering,

Has anyone here ever recieved or known anyone who ever recieved any inheritance money from someone other then a parent or grandparent. For instance a godparent, friend, mentor, uncle, aunt, sibling, employer etc?

Additionally, under what circumstances, would you be willing to include someone in your estate plan in addition to your spouse, children, and grandchildren (for instance in-laws, siblings, cousins, nephews, nieces, friends, employees, etc)?

Thankw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
No one in my family or my husband's family has ever received an inheritance from anyone.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Just wondering,

Has anyone here ever recieved or known anyone who ever recieved any inheritance money from someone other then a parent or grandparent. For instance a godparent, friend, mentor, uncle, aunt, sibling, employer etc?

Additionally, under what circumstances, would you be willing to include someone in your estate plan in addition to your spouse, children, and grandchildren (for instance in-laws, siblings, cousins, nephews, nieces, friends, employees, etc)?

Thankw
I plan on leaving a portion of my estate to my best friend, who is also like a sister & mother to me. My husband supports this as well.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:25 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Didn't get any inheritance from my parents or grandparents, but did have an aunt that distributed her money equally to all her nieces and nephews and got a little there that coincided with some medical expenses. Life can be strange.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
I inherited from my sister, although her 2 kids got the bulk of it.
My niece is the executor of my trust and the sole beneficiary; with explicit instructions that my nephew get nothing.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 PM

9,780 posts, read 15,797,090 times
My husband got a letter in the mail several years ago from an attorney saying that he was receiving an inheritance from a deceased relative - I cannot recall who it was - something like his grandfather's sister. The letter did not say how much it was, so it was fun to think about how large it could be. It turned out to be about $800 if I recall correctly. So it didn't make us rich but it was nice to receive. No one in my family ever left an inheritance because they never had any money.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
My Great Aunt left Me and One Sister 80% of her "estate" (about 2K each) other 20% was split between my two other sisters,

We lived near by to where she lived and help handle her day to day activities. Banking, shopping etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times
As someone who is involved in the estate planning field, it is uncommon but not rare for individuals to leave at least some amounts to people other than their lineal descendants as part of their planning, even when they have surviving issue. Often this is other relatives (siblings, nieces and nephews, for example) but sometimes can be unrelated persons. The amounts are usually small relative to their entire estate.

I'm excluding estate planning involving business partners (buy-sell agreements and the like) from the above.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
I received around $20k from a great-aunt. Actually, it was my dad's share but he died when I was a child and before his aunt.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I received around $20k from a great-aunt. Actually, it was my dad's share but he died when I was a child and before his aunt.
My maternal grandparents were quite wealthy and had an estate to be divided amongst all 7 of their kids. If one died prior to my grandparents their share was to be divided by their children. Three of them did die before their parents but none of their kids ever saw a penny. Except for the grandparents oldest daughter who seems to have inherited all of it. One set of cousins actually sued her to get their share but they never did. Now her remaining four kids are fighting tooth and nail over a quite sizable estate and it's been going on for a couple of years now. Seems to me like my grandparents money has caused a lot of trouble and problems but, since I never got any, I don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance