Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
huh?????? anything above full retirement age gets nothing subtracted because they are working. that only applys if you take early ss before your full retirement age.
I am talking about unemployment in Illinois and Louisiana. The only states that do it. Your unemployment only kicks in after they have deducted from your SS. I have worked all my life but only get $10. a week in unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
oooh unemployment,,,,,,,,,

Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nope , insurance is insurance. we can bend and stretch anything in to appear as some sort of welfare but the reality is most americans get the insurance benefits due them like social security , unemployment and medicare but see nothing else from the real entitlement programs .
Oh, no you don't. Medicare is absolutely subsidized by the taxpayers. Wage earners contribute a pittance into the HI (Hospital Insurance Trust Fund) to cover Part A (hospital, etc) but approximately 75% of the costs of Part B (doctors, etc) and Part D (drugs) come directly from general revenue, i.e. the taxpayers, to the tune of $232.5 BILLION dollars (2013). That's one helluva subsidy.

Trustees Report Summary

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
everything can be considered some sort of subsidy from tax credits to certain deductions to child care assistance . the list is endless .

but when we talk welfare the article is what we are talking about .

" 109,631,000 Americans lived in households that received benefits from one or more federally funded "means-tested programs" — also known as welfare — as of the fourth quarter of 2012, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau.

if you wanted to count everything a situation could look like this in theory in some states.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-31-2014 at 02:10 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It is not true that 35%the of the population is on welfare! !!!!
This is sensationalism and gross distortion of the facts. Ignore the political propaganda and look at the real census bureau data.
The author also conveniently excluded veteran's benefits. Many of those are mean tested. Nevertheless, I agree. I followed his link to the census data, searched through each of the tables and can't find where he came up with his figures.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The author also conveniently excluded veteran's benefits. Many of those are mean tested. Nevertheless, I agree. I followed his link to the census data, searched through each of the tables and can't find where he came up with his figures.
What figure are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The 109 million is people (from table 2). The 33 million is households (from table 4). Still, the trend line is improving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Took me 30 seconds. CNS has an agenda, as does the OP.

Trend:
1st quarter: 33,382
4th quarter: 33,313

Economic Characteristics of Households in the United States

Table 4: Households by Number of Means-Tested Noncash Programs in Which Members Participate: Monthly Averages; 4th quarter.

# of programs: number of households
1: 13,414
2: 9,392
3: 6,697
4: 3,811

Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
So, reading all of your posts, I am reading that some people are arguing that there should not be any public assistance and lets just say that falls into all of the categories mentioned above. Some of you are saying, Each of us are responsible for our own actions, our own life and if we make mistakes, we pull in our stomachs, place our shoulders back, stand straight, march forward and suffer the consequences. And some of you are saying, as a society we help each other. Others of you are wanting restrictions and more rules and stricter guidelines on public assistance. Others of you are saying many people who are on public assistance are lazy and free loaders and don't want to work. Others are debating if insurance is a Public Assistance program or not.

Have you noticed how much money a CEO of a company makes? Their pay is on the rise, average 15.2 million.

Corporate tax is the highest in any nation in the world at 39 percent. So, this is how companies are avoiding it, they are moving their headquarters overseas.

There are dozens of companies not paying corporate tax and another hundreds that are moving their money overseas to avoid paying Corporate tax. Walgreens is one example that wants to relocate their headquarters. Starbucks was another.
I look at the obesity, drug and alcohol problems of our country, the increase in numbers and I shake my head. I look at the exploiting costs of a college education and shake my head. I look at the high school drop outs and shake my head. I look at our society as a whole and shake my head. I look at how many single parents and shake my head. I look at the fact if one of your loved ones has a depilating disease i.e. ALS, Alzheimer's, brain damage, list goes on that one has to spend all of their assets in order to receive public care or someone in the family has to quit their job to be a care-giver Meanwhile back at the ranch everyone is blaming this party and that party for our troubles here in America.

How many times has Donald Trump gone bankrupt? I know it is Corporate bankruptcy but some one is paying for it and it ain't the rich guy.

My point is our society is failing us big time. Many Men and women are working two jobs average to help pay costs of living. Now if you want to blame the guys and gals taking advantage of the system you might look further and see who else are taking advantage of the system. Maybe we are so busy yelling and screaming at each other and not enough paying attention what is going on around us, we would have a different society. We as a society can do better and we are giving people. GoFundMe is a example of a program that people help each other out. It does wonderfully. In fact a few days ago, a young man from Georgia, 19 years old, his parents/family kicked him out of the house, calling him names and beating up on him, telling him he was worthless, because he was gay. They were religious folks quoting the Bible. He filmed it and took it to a gay youth organization, they edited and put it on the internet. His boyfriend put it on GOFUNDME and the young man received $95K in just 3 days before shutting it down and half he will donate to gay causes. People have compassion for other, we as a society are accepting differences, we just have to direct our compassion and our willingness to help each other out within the communities to which we live.

I just see so many angry people blaming the poor folks, blaming the gvt agencies, blaming the party and I shake my head. Lots of angry people out there. Inequality is rampant. Heck, I am a woman and women aren't equal as of 2014. Maybe that is what the higher powers above want us to do, to argue with each other, to argue party lines, keep us all mad and so we don't notice what is right in front of our eyes. Yea baby!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 PM

208 posts, read 224,918 times
Just to note that contributions to both state and federal basic unemployment insurance (and to workers comp insurance) are a part of total employee compensation. Employers are required to amass and forward the funds on your behalf, but they are yours. If you as an individual have not sufficiently contributed to a UI trust fund, you will not be eligible for UI benefits.

When national or regional unemployment gets much above 6.5%, federal emergency unemployment compensation is often enacted. This is a different program and it typically provides benefits for those who have exhausted their state benefits. It is debatable how much of EUC is actually welfare and how much is general economic support.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
BS alert!!

That is a ridiculously awful website. Some of the worst "journalism" ive ever seen.

Sources? None. Obama bashing? Of course!

By the end of the article, I still was did not understand where they were getting their data or even their operational definition of "Welfare."

Update: There was one link. I went to it and these are about 1/10th the data given in the article! Maybe they are adding all 4 quarters as dif people? Adding "non meqns" programs such as ssdi? I have no F'n idea where they got these numbers but certainly not from the census web site they linked to.

Sorry folks. This is why actual journalists use actual Specific Citations. Not many people are gonna "Check the math" for themselves.

CONFORMATION BIAS- You want to believe their rhetoric because you want to believe you work harder and re more "deserving " than everyone else.

THIS is the REAL entitlement.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post
How to fix Welfare and this entitlement mindset:

1. Eliminate the welfare cliff-encourage people who are in low paying jobs to work overtime and/or move up the ladder by gradually reducing things like childcare subsidies, medicaid, etc. when income rises above select levels.

7. SEVERE penalties for anyone who is caught cheating the system.
1. Yes, smart ideas, but Congress won't do anything like this so it's a pipe dream
2. Who cares if they can vote. The cost of dealing with this suggestion is not worth this pointless idea
3. Already exists
4. We need more children in this country. This is not a smart idea
5. It will cost to enforce this. Cheaper cars also cost money to fix. This really solves nothing but it just appeals to your own emotions
6. Are you going to pay for this counsellor?
7. Already exists

Quote:
Sorry folks. This is why actual journalists use actual Specific Citations. Not many people are gonna "Check the math" for themselves.
On this site, the quality of the news sources to which someone links is generally the inverse to their intelligence.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Of course, the OP won't own up this I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance