Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM

574 posts, read 697,058 times

Advertisements

My problem with target date funds and other funds which include both equities and bonds in that they're not tax efficient. Right now I have my bonds and international stock index funds in my 401(k), and my total stock market funds in my taxable. If I bought a target date fund in both my my 401(k) and in my taxable account, I'd be paying more taxes on the bonds included in the taxable account's target date fund.

Of course, you have to deal with issues like only certain funds being offered in your 401(k), or that you want to max your 401(k) contributions even when they don't offer the best funds, which leaves less money to put in your more flexible taxable account. It took me a spreadsheet to figure out the optimal plan according to my asset allocation, but now it's almost on autopilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Unless you are over 59-1/2, when you can withdraw without penalty, roll it over.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
bingo. Roll your old 401k into an IRA and open a new 401k at your new employer.

Yup, I don't like target funds either. If you set it up for when you retire, by the time you think you will retire your fund consists of about 60% bonds and by the time you are 10 years into retirement it is around 75% bonds. I don't ever see the need to go more than 50/50, especially in an economy where bonds aren't even keeping up with inflation.

Truth be told, I also prefer a balanced fund that keeps a fairly steady allocation to stocks and bonds and changes that allocation based on relative valuations of those two asset classes over a target date fund that changes the allocation by age. I think a 65% stock 35% bond allocation (give or take 5% either way) is one you can hold for a lifetime. That said, most people do pretty well with target retirement funds....so even though I don't like them for me, personally, they are decent choices and still less volatile than an S&P 500 Index fund. Most people don't know what they're doing and most never will (as frustrating as I find that--it's just the fact of the matter), and target date retirement funds fill the void reasonably well.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 PM

217 posts, read 314,330 times
man, the whole 401k thing is such a sham....

I hear people say " 8% growth on 10k for 30 years is over 100k"..... dude, Do you seriously think that $100k 30 years from now is actually worth $100k today?

The fact that you stash money away and can't touch it, then when you withdraw it, you get taxed on it anyways, or you take it out early and you get penalized up the you know what. There's a risk of it plummeting in value and you lose it all. And then when you factor in the time value of money , it makes no sense to put money into the 401k. You also could be dead 30 years from now.

Why not use that money to invest in something more short term? Am I missing something here? Is everyone able to predict the future and I'm not?

$100k 30 years ago in 1984 was worth a whole lot more than $100k today, so can you imagine what $100k is worth 30 years from now in 2044, and that's IF ( a big IF) the return is 8% year over year.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Leaving employer---cash out 401k ?
Hell, no.
Roll it over into an IRA.
Any brokerage or bank can handle the paperwork for you.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post

I hear people say " 8% growth on 10k for 30 years is over 100k"..... dude, Do you seriously think that $100k 30 years from now is actually worth $100k today?

The fact that you stash money away and can't touch it, then when you withdraw it, you get taxed on it anyways, or you take it out early and you get penalized up the you know what. There's a risk of it plummeting in value and you lose it all. And then when you factor in the time value of money , it makes no sense to put money into the 401k. You also could be dead 30 years from now.

Why not use that money to invest in something more short term? Am I missing something here? Is everyone able to predict the future and I'm not?

$100k 30 years ago in 1984 was worth a whole lot more than $100k today, so can you imagine what $100k is worth 30 years from now in 2044, and that's IF ( a big IF) the return is 8% year over year.
A sham? Historical Returns Investing Calculator | Bankrate.com

If you invested $100,000.00 in 1984,
it would be worth $2,212,834.17 in 2013.*

*Calculator assumes dividends are invested back into your portfolio. Market value excludes inflation, taxes and/or investment costs. Calculator based on the S&P Composite Stock Price Index compiled by Yale economist Robert Shiller.

I'm going to respectfully disagree.

This 401K money should never be view as "accessible funds". If you have pension...you should still contribute. This is how people that never made more than $20k/yr end up as millionaires...DCA is your friend, and 401k is a way for employers to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Last edited by midwestlaxer; 09-16-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
since 1987 the newsletter we follow has grown 100k to 2 million with nothing special fidelity funds and no other money added. even an s&p 500 index fund would be in the 1,6-1.8 million area.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-17-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 05:51 PM

296 posts, read 571,568 times
Thank you everyone for all of your helpful information! I really appreciate it!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:

I hear people say " 8% growth on 10k for 30 years is over 100k"..... dude, Do you seriously think that $100k 30 years from now is actually worth $100k today?.
Um, no I don't think that. And if you had actually learned reading comprehension you would have seen that I mentioned inflation in my post.

Quote:
The fact that you stash money away and can't touch it, then when you withdraw it, you get taxed on it anyways, or you take it out early and you get penalized up the you know what. There's a risk of it plummeting in value and you lose it all. And then when you factor in the time value of money , it makes no sense to put money into the 401k. You also could be dead 30 years from now..
Typical short term orientation of most people exhibited here. Problem is, most people DO live to age 59.5 (actually you can usually take money out of 401ks without penalty starting at age 55), and most of them would be completely destitude were it not for Social Security. SS means people live out old age in poverty or semi poverty, but not starving.

I will go ahead and answer your concerns, although I suspect you will not be receptive to what I'm saying.

1. Taxation: Yes you pay taxes taking the money out, but you get a tax break putting it in. And it also compounds tax free. Sounds like a good deal to me.

2. The risk of it plummeting to zero is so low it's not woth considering. Provided YOU HAVE A BALANCED ALLOCATION OF STOCK AND BOND FUNDS. If a 65% stock and 35% bond allocation goes to zero, then it really won't matter because it means we're in the middle of World War 3.

3. Taking the money out early: A horrible idea almost all the time.

Quote:
Why not use that money to invest in something more short term? Am I missing something here? Is everyone able to predict the future and I'm not?.
Yes, you're missing a lot. People who think short term like you do almost always end up living payday to payday or worse. If they do get around to investing, their returns are usually terrible, because they jump in and out of their investments...almost always at the worst possible times.

Quote:
So what? $0 invested in 1984 is $0 today. $10K invested in a low cost balanced fund (mix of stocks & bonds) like Vanguard Wellington on 1/1/1984 would now be worth $241,557 today. Not bad.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/...&culture=en-US

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-20-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM

217 posts, read 314,330 times
See myticaltiger, that thinking is flawed. I see people that buy houses on loan for 30 years, yet they still put money into 401k. A house they buy for $200k ends up costing them $500k in total after the 30 years are paid off.

WHY? The interest of your home mortgage offsets any gains. Why not use that money to pay off mortgage or other bills. Very few people have zero debt that they don't pay on a monthly basis ( auto, home, student loans, etc.). And as far as your comment about losing money in 401k..... there is always a chance of losing a huge chunk depending on the stock market.

Also, you dont know me so why would you say I live paycheck to paycheck? or that i think short term?

To me, it only make sense to invest in 401k if you are entirely debt free and you have nothing else to spend the money on.

I will stick to my belief on time value of money : $1 today is worth a lot more than $1 tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance