Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:49 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I would give you a link to my house but you seem kind of creepy. I bought my house 3 years ago refied last year to a 2.5% 5/1 io arm. My mortgage payment, tax and insurance is under 1k a month. Even throwing principle I promise you can't rent cheaper in the area. 20 miles away? Well that's not even the same city Lol and would defeat the purpose of living in a particular area, what an idiotic prop. Like you always do you pretend to live in a place where only your ideals apply
I didn't say to provide a link to YOUR house (and posting your house on a public forum read by thousands of people would make YOU the creep not me, seeing as though you claim you have a family that stays with you).

I said post a link to a house that you would purchase in an area, and I'll find quality rentals within that same area (within 20 miles from the house).

You are the one that follows me from thread to thread dancing around my propositions, I always support my stances with facts, data and examples. I have never seen you do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i don't know where you live but 20 miles puts us in either another state or the hood depending which way you drive. i wouldn't call 20 miles in metro areas the same area.

in fact i would not call 20 blocks the same area. here in queens we have multi million dollar homes in jamaica estates surrounded by awful areas.

my daughter lives in howard beach queens which is blocks from the mason dixon line of ny and seperates the hood from mafia families.

depending where you live "same area is defined in blocks not miles"

Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
Quote:
i don't know where you live but 20 miles puts us in either another state or the hood depending which way you drive. i wouldn't call 20 miles in metro areas the same area.

in fact i would not call 20 blocks the same area. here in queens we have multi million dollar homes in jamaica estates surrounded by awful areas.

my daughter lives in howard beach queens which is blocks from the mason dixon line of ny and seperates the hood from mafia families.
I'm not going to be that particular on the issue of "20 miles being the same area."

I know a few metro areas DC, Philly/Jersey for example. My issue wouldn't be miles so much as is the housing INVENTORY COMPARABLE and QUALITY and AMENITIES of neighborhood comparable. IF so, then maybe the comparison could proceed. If not, well then, it's moot.

And I'd want to know are we just comparing housing 'costs' ...or the intangibles like is the retail shopping the same, is the public transit the same, is the time/aggravation of the commute the same. And given that those intangibles are factored into the sales and market values of housing, I'd be curious as to how Jotucker would weight those intangibles when trying to do the comparison. Who's to say a lack of nearby retail...is or isn't a demerit, when the daily commute is a peace of cake...compared to an area where home PRICES are the same, but those factors are reversed.

I'm sure we all know there are areas where one BLOCK makes a world of difference...let alone 5 miles.
ETA: I'm 20 milles outside of DC. So am I in the DC 'area?' Yes. Could houses and prices in my area be compared to others 20 miles away? Some, yes. Some, no. But the crime, shopping, commute, and quality of neighbor could all be different. And it's THOSE factors (and others) not just houses -- that may or may not make quality of life and NEIGHBORHOODS comparable. Comparable PRICES don't make comparable quality of life or neighborhood -- whether it's 2 blocks -- or 20 miles.

Last edited by rdflk; 12-21-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I didn't say to provide a link to YOUR house (and posting your house on a public forum read by thousands of people would make YOU the creep not me, seeing as though you claim you have a family that stays with you).

I said post a link to a house that you would purchase in an area, and I'll find quality rentals within that same area (within 20 miles from the house).

You are the one that follows me from thread to thread dancing around my propositions, I always support my stances with facts, data and examples. I have never seen you do the same.

I don't follow you around but rather you post the same dumb ***** that is comprised of one sided slanted views that you believe apply to every situation when it's impossible for all your opinions to do so. The 20 mile allowance is a freaking joke that you have to add in to even make your concept possible. Fwiw if you found something 20 miles from my house it wouldn't be comparable because it's 20 miles away

This isn't substantiated by fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99
What I'm saying is, you could have enjoyed the same level of quality and amenities that a $300k house brings with a rental at a much lower rental cost if you shopped it properly. Then take the difference in what you would have been paying and invest it in a business you own/control/know about, or a CD or something, and I bet you come out better in 20 years.

Fwiw "quality of life" for a lot of people would include their proximity to work or other places they enjoy, need or like. Your 20 mile allowance would diminish this

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 12-21-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I don't follow you around but rather you post the same dumb ***** that is comprised of one sided slanted views that you believe apply to every situation when it's impossible for all your opinions to do so. The 20 mile allowance is a freaking joke that you have to add in to even make your concept possible. Fwiw if you found something 20 miles from my house it wouldn't be comparable because it's 20 miles away
Lol, hey now, why are you swearing sir ? Look, are you going to post a house that you would purchase or WHAT so I can conduct this little experiment for you and the audience watching lol?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, hey now, why are you swearing sir ? Look, are you going to post a house that you would purchase or WHAT so I can conduct this little experiment for you and the audience watching lol?

No I'm not playing your game. 20 miles radius is absurd but once we got past that you would ignore or argue ad nauseam about the value of each amenity. The truth is if you were correct, people wouldn't buy, values would drop and then buying would be more favorable. Your theory couldn't apply to every market at all times, if you believe it does you can keep living in your own little world

Old 12-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No I'm not playing your game. 20 miles radius is absurd but once we got past that you would ignore or argue ad nauseam about the value of each amenity. The truth is if you were correct, people wouldn't buy, values would drop and then buying would be more favorable. Your theory couldn't apply to every market at all times, if you believe it does you can keep living in your own little world
Lol, man you are a piece of work. Every debate we have ends like this. I make a point or stance, you respond saying it's total bull____. I respond saying, okay, well here's XYZ data point, XYZ article, XYZ example, and based on those things that's why I made the conclusion/point/stance I made. You respond still saying it's total bull____ just because you STILL don't like the stance.

You do know a debate shouldn't just be a casting off of viewpoints you don't like, but an actual breakdown of WHY you take the stances that you take with examples, data, facts and analysis supporting them, right? Just like with the Cash on Hand debate in the other thread, all you did was respond with how you didn't like the idea and how it was stupid. When I gave example, example and example as to why in certain situations it's not stupid but actually STRATEGIC, you still said it was stupid because "you didn't like it".

This is not how you debate sir lol.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
there is a development near us where i would love to live. surprsingly when you get up into the more expensive apartments renting and buying get pretty close . alot closer than you would expect and alot closer in price than single family homes.

the bay club which is around the corner from us has 2 bedroom condo's for about 750k on average....

with 25% down a 560k mortgage is about 2800.00 common charges and taxes are about 5k a year

rents are right around the price of the mortgage in the 2800 dollar range so the difference is really the money lost on income on the deposit and the taxes and common charges.

figuring a muni bond that is about 7500.oo a year in income so the difference between renting there and buying is about 13k a year.

http://www.bayclub-bayside.com/THE-BAY-CLUB-FOR-SALE

Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is a development near us where i would love to live. surprsingly when you get up into the more expensive apartments renting and buying get pretty close . alot closer than you would expect and alot closer in price than single family homes.

the bay club which is around the corner from us has 2 bedroom condo's for about 750k on average....

with 25% down a 560k mortgage is about 2800.00 common charges and taxes are about 5k a year

rents are right around the price of the mortgage in the 2800 dollar range so the difference is really the money lost on income on the deposit and the taxes and common charges.

figuring a muni bond that is about 7500.oo a year in income so the difference between renting there and buying is about 13k a year.

Real Estate Page 1
That is why the rent vs. own debate is strongly dependent on location.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:46 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:

This isn't substantiated by fact

Fwiw "quality of life" for a lot of people would include their proximity to work or other places they enjoy, need or like. Your 20 mile allowance would diminish this
Even if it doesn't, the gas and other added vehicle costs associated with the commute must be included in the financial calculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance