Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 AM

308 posts, read 506,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There is no risk with FDIC (up to $250,000, that is).
No I meant risk as in if you want to keep your savings in cash then it's a matter of how much you don't mind losing potentially in the event of a robbery or fire or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
It sounds like you are living 'pretty close to the edge', in which case, whatever makes you comfortable when it comes to a few hundred dollars, is probably what you should do. But, cash is neither practical or smart when it comes to paying one's bills, buying large items or saving for the future.

Savings and checking accounts are the safest, most practical way of handling one's ongoing living expenses. When it comes to longer-term savings in larger amounts, one needs to start thinking about ROI (Return-0n-Investment). That's where stocks, bonds, IRA's, 401K's, Roths and other vehicles come into play. Some longer-term retirement savings and also one's 'Emergency Fund' (6-months living expenses), need to be kept separate so that one is not tempted to use those funds as a backup savings account.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I think I would rather bury my money in the ground in a vacuum sealed container vs keeping it in my home. I've never lived in a "bad" or high crime neighborhood, but once had my apartment door kicked in and I was robbed blind (they even took my stamps...lol), living in my parent's house as a child we had thieves who knew exactly where we kept a spare key outside and they broke in and stole several items, and my car was stolen from a open/outdoor parking lot in a condo complex. Also had the entire upstairs to my parent's house catch on fire with nearly everything up there destroyed. So while you think it might not happen to you, it can!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
I don't see an issue with keeping a few hundred -- say MAX 500 bucks at home.
Then you can have a savings for any other savings.....and OR a MMF for your emergency fund. (and a checking account of course)

I don't keep money at home....but I also don't think it's THAT at risk if you do.
There've been entire threads about how and where to hide money at home. When you think about it there are SOOO many places to hide money, it's fairly safe to say no one would find it...not even a thief/burglar who would only spend so much time looking for cash (that might not even be there).....when they could grab electronics and be gone.

And how often does a home or apt catch fire...what are the chances of that really? Not much. Even then you could put it in a water/fire proof safe if's you're THAT concerned about it.

If you want to keep money at home. As long as know one knows it's there I wouldn't have any qualms about the safety of the money itself. The only reason not to keep more at home is losing investment growth on it, not it being stolen from you house/apt.

But if you sleep better at night having some money at home....do it.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
It's a huge risk if you're keeping ALL of your money in cash at home. If you're talking about $500 the risk is basically zilch. I believe OP was asking about keeping ALL of his/her money in cash at home, not just a few hundred dollars.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Yeah I mean I currently have about $14K at home in the same and that would DEFINITELY blow if someone stole that safe. Damn I feel so dumb compared to you guys on here.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Don't feel dumb. Just keep less cash at home.
If you can keep 500 or less and feel comfortable do that.
IF you feel you ABSOLUTELY have to have more...how about putting more in the bank.....

500.00 to low for you, how about 1,000? 1000 to low? You could cut it down to 5K? Would you need to start with down to 10K, then cut it to 5K?

But hey, it's your money, keep it where you want.
Most of US, HERE, likely wouldn't keep that much as home....but some people do indeed have THOUSANDS at home.

Think about it.....
Could you go 'cold turkey' and and go all the way down to 500 in one shot?
ONE REASON to do it slowly, is large cash deposits draw attention. YOU know it's money you've saved, but do you really need to draw attention to yourself?

So....if you DO put in in banks, I'd do it in deposits of various small -- ODD number -- amounts. Like 482.00 or 379.00, or 275.00, or 450.00. (Not literally odd like 5,7,9, but just not 5,000, or 10,000 or even 2,000 at a time.)

Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the tips rdf. Can the government really get on me for making large deposits? I guess it makes sense but never thought it was a huge deal unless I was making like $50K deposits all the time lol.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Those of us who live in earthquake country, as I do, or in hurricane country such as Florida and other Gulf Coast states, are well advised to keep some cash at home because of the possibility of power outages lasting a week or even more, during which time the ATM's would not function and bank branches would be closed.

The issue is how much cash would be a reasonable amount. In this thread people seem to be suggesting between $200 and $500, which I think is about right. Personally I prefer more than $200, but see no need for, say, $1,000.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we have the same issues here in nyc. when 9/11 took out main data hubs and cables you couldn't access atm's or do banking for a few days. same here with sandy, atm's and banks were out for days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance