Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times

Advertisements

This has long been an issue for people who move from employee subsidized plans to individual plans. Think COBRA.
The problems are highlighted now because more people are loosing their employee sponsored plans because they, and the new individual plans, leave no wiggle room. You can't choose a policy that insures you just a little, or only for certain things, anymore.

I'm happy that people aren't being denied for all the lame reasons the insurance companies used to get away with, I'm happy with many aspects of the new healthcare, but I know there are problems for middle class folks who don't get the subsidies and can't suddenly squeeze $600 a month out of their budgets for make up the difference because they have zero choices in the matter. Going into the second year of ACA I'd like to see people discussing ways to improve it, and perhaps make some compromises to the EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE THE SAME THING insurance model, but we still seem stuck politically so it's not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you will find that is true with most of hartfords postings. he thinks what is in his head is fact but it generally is skewed.

he loves commenting all the time how my posts are wrong and i don't know what i am talking about but it always seems to be the reverse.
You seem bitter because I have shot down your posts in the past

Don't feel bad I just know a lot more about financial issues than you do

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
shot them down? ha ha ha ha IN FACT LET ME ADD ANOTHER ONE

Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Medicare is actually very good health insurance, I have been on it for 4 years and have absolutely no complaint with it. It is as good as if not better than the health insurance that I previously had. And the vast majority of people in it are also very satisfied with it.

Simply put, you don't know what you are talking about.
I agree with you. I have come to the point where Medicare as the basic coverage for all with private supplementals looks like the best option. It has been reported that a family PPO has an approximate cost of $24,000 and is increasing in cost at approximately 8.5% annually. Current median household income is approximately $52,250 and grew at .26% last year after several years of decline. If you project those growth rates forward in about 10 years the cost of a family plan will surpass median household income. This makes no sense and would bankrupt the country leading to a massive depression.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 10-22-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I agree with you. I have come to the point where Medicare as the basic coverage for all with private supplementals looks like the best option.
Hopefully we are getting closer to a model like that, sooner than later. This year I've paid more for medical expenses than ever before. I'm talking thousands and thousands of dollars for our family. We can afford it, but it is making us put off other purchases.

It wouldn't be different without the ACA, as I have to privately pay for insurance, since I'm self-employed. I wasn't oblivious to the fact that the low premium/low deductible plans have been a thing of the past for quite a while, unlike some apparently were.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think a perhaps better system would be a cash bonus to the insured if they consume zero dollars of health care during the year. That's right: don't use any health care for the year, and receive a cash bonus at the end of the year (rebate of a portion of your premiums).
We have an individual health insurance plan that has a vanishing deductible - every year we don't spend a certain amount, the deductible goes down. It would be nice to have a cash bonus, but this plan helps reward you as you stay healthy too.

Now, this plan is non-ACA compliant and was supposed to be cancelled this year. However, Obama gave a speech a few months ago and stated that some non-compliant plans could be extended. We were very lucky to get a letter stating our plan would be extended until the end of 2017.

The premium for this policy is about half the price of a Bronze policy.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Another Obamacare hate thread, and another time I'll post:

My 36 yr old sister is saving a substantial amount on her premiums compared to the private insurance she had before. and no subsidies, since her husband is a pretty well compensated financial advisor.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Another Obamacare hate thread, and another time I'll post:

My 36 yr old sister is saving a substantial amount on her premiums compared to the private insurance she had before. and no subsidies, since her husband is a pretty well compensated financial advisor.
Why does anything that has a different view that you have means a hate thread? Some individuals did very well under Obamacare, some did not. Those who did not do so well have just as much right to voice their displeasure as those who gained from it.
Now, as the majority of the working population become part of the Obamacare mandate, we will see a lot more people with differing experiences. Not everyone will gain under a law.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Why does anything that has a different view that you have means a hate thread? Some individuals did very well under Obamacare, some did not. Those who did not do so well have just as much right to voice their displeasure as those who gained from it.
Now, as the majority of the working population become part of the Obamacare mandate, we will see a lot more people with differing experiences. Not everyone will gain under a law.
I never said anything with a different view than me is a hate thread. I read a bunch of posts, and this thread is going exactly the same way all the other obamacare threads go.

no one answered the OPs question really.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The inflexibility of open enrollment periods is also an issue - it seems they don't want to make it easy for someone to change jobs without paying sky-high COBRA premiums...
changing jobs is a qualifying event, and you can change enrollment at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance