Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't do that. I have several part-time jobs, all of which pay between $10-$11/hour. I know that a lot of companies don't take out state tax, so I keep an eye on it.
If you understood how taxes work you'd realize why a part time $10-$11 an hour job (on estimated 20 hours per week, if less it's still the same) wouldn't withold State Income Taxes. If you made more money they most definitely would. It's not the company, it's the income.

$11 x 20 hours/wk x 52 = $11,440

CA Standard deduction is $3992

$11,400
($3992)

$7448 in Taxable Income

Using the CA 2015 Marginal Tax Brackets you would owe $74.48 in CA State Tax for the year.

Then CA gives a $108 Personal Exemption credit. Which would result in a $33.52 refund. If you earned that wage and you worked that many hours, as an example, your company would not withhold any state taxes for this reason.

Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 02-02-2015 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
I don't do that. I have several part-time jobs, all of which pay between $10-$11/hour. I know that a lot of companies don't take out state tax, so I keep an eye on it. If they don't start taking it out within reasonable amount of time, I start submitting the forms again, and keep following up until they do what they're supposed to do.
Yes, I understand that you don't currently make estimated payments. However, it is an option.

Glad to hear that HR is getting the matter straightened out for you.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
If you understood how taxes work you'd realize why a part time $10-$11 an hour job (on estimated 20 hours per week, if less it's still the same) wouldn't withold State Income Taxes. If you made more money they most definitely would. It's not the company, it's the income.
Yes, I know how about taxes work, keep an eye on my own taxes, do them myself, plus I worked for H&R Block for a while, but I wouldn't let them touch my taxes, though. I worked as an adm asst (hourly sub) for a large school district. Even with working 32-40 hours per week, at close to $30 an hour, I had to force them to take out state taxes.

My preference is to have state taxes taken out of my check, and if the company that I'm working doesn't do it, then I have to submit the form to force them to do it. If they don't comply, they I have to start bugging them. In this case, it was the HR people in my local office that didn't do it, and probably figured I wouldn't notice.

Last edited by moved; 02-02-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 06:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times
Quote:
Yes, I know how about taxes work, and keep an eye on my own taxes, plus I worked for H&R Block for a while, but I wouldn't let them touch my taxes, though. I worked as an adm asst (hourly sub) for a large school district. Even with working 32-40 hours per week, at close to $30 an hour, I had to force them to take out state taxes.

I prefer to have state taxes taken out of my check, and if the company that I work doesn't do it, then I have to submit the form to force them to do it, and if they don't comply, they I have to start bugging them. In this case, it was the HR people in my local office that didn't do it, and probably figured I wouldn't notice.
You mentioned the $10-11 an hour job part time so I thought that was it. For a $30 job not witholding taxes is a clerical error. That's odd. I've never had an employer not withold taxes unless it was a part time where my taxable was less than $15k.

Anyways it looks like everything got situated. Best of Luck.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, I understand that you don't currently make estimated payments. However, it is an option.

Glad to hear that HR is getting the matter straightened out for you.
I don't believe in making estimated payments, and I know that it's an option, but I prefer to have them pay me. I was surprised that I even got any callbacks, but I'm glad that I did, because I have a coworker with the same problem, and will be able to tell him how to take care of it.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Glad it worked out, moved.

Ignore the rest

Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
I don't believe in making estimated payments, and I know that it's an option, but I prefer to have them pay me. I was surprised that I even got any callbacks, but I'm glad that I did, because I have a coworker with the same problem, and will be able to tell him how to take care of it.
What does this mean? Who would you rather pay you?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
You realize the state is simply returning your overpaid money to you, right? They aren't paying you any more than a store clerk is paying you when they hand you your change.

Or are you saying you use your tax refund as a kind of forced savings account?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You realize the state is simply returning your overpaid money to you, right? They aren't paying you any more than a store clerk is paying you when they hand you your change.

Or are you saying you use your tax refund as a kind of forced savings account?
I have a savings account, and I'm not hurting financially. But I prefer to have state and federal taxes deducted from my pay, maybe some people don't. Those are my preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance