Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 PM

49 posts, read 52,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Boy, no wonder the business has a loss. You are too lazy to organize your expenses efficiently to maximize deductions, so I can only wonder how lazy you are in terms of developing and growing your business.
I agree and it is very common. Many times, those who aren't too great at keeping track of their expenses aren't too great at tracking their receivables. So too much money is going out and not enough is coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I know, right?

Its like re IRS actually believes that someone operated a 'business' for 12 months at a total loss while dinning out and writing everything off.

Gotta love America.

The land of smoke and mirrors. Let the facade continue.

If you are entertaining clients and attending meetings.... I mean when a client comes to my place of business I get catering for lunch or when I am offering good coffee to hear my elevator pitch.

But I also went on dates where we also talked about business.

And that time when I was in the bar with my buds, we so talked about business for like 5 mins before we ordered another round....

When I was younger, we would have business strategy discussions at a strip bar, so how are going to tell me that a lap dance is a not a legitimate business expense.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:41 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
You should be keeping a spreadsheet with (1) categories of all deductible expenses, (2) date, (3) amount, and (4) description during the tax year. Update at least weekly. Don't forget vehicle and home office expenses. In January, this business expenses spreadsheet should be printed and kept with your income statement and hard-copy receipts in a Tyvek mailer, preferably in a fireproof safe.

When the credit card annual statements arrive the following January, sort by date and compare to make sure you captured everything. Also provides good back-up detail of the charges.

I also retain all original receipts with pen-and-ink notations, chronologically sorted. Another method: sort by deductible category and tape to letter paper -- easier to file or copy.

Keep all of this for 8 years.

The small business recordkeeping seems insurmountable if you try to do it all in February of the following year. But if you do it for two or three hours per week during the tax year, you barely notice it.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM

I have a fireproof safe for documents. But since none of my friends referred me to a good accountant I am stuck doing it myself. Since my business revenues are all check based, all of my business transactions go though a bank with the exception of a cleaning service for which I pay cash. So I just look at my Amazon purchases for the year to get most of my supplies and assets purchased.

I am not willing to spend that much time on record keeping. It's boring and is not in my job description.

All this tax talk got me thinking that I have not been to a strip club in years !

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Boy, no wonder the business has a loss. You are too lazy to organize your expenses efficiently to maximize deductions, so I can only wonder how lazy you are in terms of developing and growing your business.
Especially in light of the last few posts.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 PM

IS coffee a good office supply expense ?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default IRS Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
IS coffee a good office supply expense ?
Wake up and smell the audit in your future.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wake up and smell the audit in your future.
The coffee could be a write off.

An audit is not the end of the word........just maybe a bad day when you get the letter from the IRS.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:04 AM

Turbo tax says that my audit risk is low, so there is yet room to mess around !

But I was reading online that Coffee is a supply expense. I like dark chocolates with my coffee, personally ! Does that means that dark chocolates is also a good supply expense?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Turbo tax says that my audit risk is low, so there is yet room to mess around !

But I was reading online that Coffee is a supply expense. I like dark chocolates with my coffee, personally ! Does that means that dark chocolates is also a good supply expense?
Could be.....yes.

I send flowers to customers sometimes........I write that off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance