Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Servers usually have to split their tips among the other non-tipped employees. Some put them all in a pot and split equally because it's not always about individual performance, a great server can end up with a table that stays for hours and leaves no tip.

I do 20-30%. The cheaper the meal, the bigger percentage I tip. If I grab a $5 breakfast, I'll tip $2-3, my gosh, these people work hard and you can see they're not rich, pay it forward. Probably helps them way more than staying in my pocket. And if they screw up something, I usually tip more just because they won't expect it.
Severing is a job I really do not think I could do........dealing with people....on you feet all day.......they deserve every tip they get......that is great you still tip if something was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I think 20% is way too high. (it's not like they just have my table.... And yes I did it in his high school)

My solution is to leave it entirely up to the server. (sadly decent service is hard to find)
I warn them that they likely want to bring me a 2nd drink or pitcher, (it's supprising how few do this.) and the tip reflects service.

I've left a $0.02 tip and I've left a tip more than my steak dinner.
Last time I went out I flat out told the server I'd add to her tip if she had my food cooked the way I like (the place screws it up about 1/2 the time, but its GOOD when they get it right)
She did and I bumped her tip by about 25%
She left me thirsty 1x but all together it came out to 25-30%
LOL,
Ok, you know your server is not the one who cook your meal? You sound extremely picky. Why do you even go back to a place that only gets your food cooked the way you like it only half the time? Im not sure where you live, maybe in a small town with only a few restaurants but where I live I almost always have excellent service and I always tip 20-30 percent. If my food is bad I blame the cook, not the waitress.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
LOL,
Ok, you know your server is not the one who cook your meal? You sound extremely picky. Why do you even go back to a place that only gets your food cooked the way you like it only half the time? Im not sure where you live, maybe in a small town with only a few restaurants but where I live I almost always have excellent service and I always tip 20-30 percent. If my food is bad I blame the cook, not the waitress.
I don't blame the server.

I blame the server for not checking the meal before bringing it to me, or for me sitting there thirsty (I mean really, it's not like their services for me encompass much else!)
-and remember, I've been there. I don't care if they are busy with too many tables, Im paying for a service and I pay for services rendered.

I offered her EXTRA MONEY if she made sure the kitchen did it right.

NOT conencted to her "regular tip"

She did and I paid (extra) for the service I received. (which I SHOULD of received anyway, but I'll aclamate as needed.)

Yes, I am picky, Infact I often tell them:
I'm picky, but I tip well. They LIKE that. (beats a bad tipper...I know.)

I was actually in the state capital on business, (I lived there in the past. My first choice of a reasturant had an excessively long wait.) I don't go out to eat many places because I typically cook better than the reasturants do. If I do go it's typically for something not worth the bother, or too expensive for me to make, and I don't mind slipping the servers a couple extra dollars to make sure it's as I want it.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
When I was a little girl, my grandpa would take me out for steak dinners. We would park in the back and go through the kitchen and he would tip everyone. He was a big personality, everyone loved him. He never had much money but he was very generous and friendly to everyone.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
On the rare occasions when I go out to a restaurant for a meal (can't afford it so much these days), I almost always tip 20%, with a $5 minimum tip even if the bill is for less than $5. My kids were servers for years, and I have great compassion for people trying to make a living in that business.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
People care too much about what other people think. Set your own standards when it comes to tipping. My general rule of thumb is 2x the tax, which typically comes out to about 16-17%, I then round to the nearest whole dollar. Service quality then further impacts the final tip.

Note that this is at a traditional restaurant. If I'm at a place like a buffet where the server only brings drinks and the checks I typically use just the tax as my base.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
It's about time someone started a thread on tipping. We haven't had one in at least a week.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's about time someone started a thread on tipping. We haven't had one in at least a week.
Has it been that long? LOL

Old 03-05-2015, 05:06 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
It's maddening.

I have always tipped 15%, docking it to 10% if my drink ran out (something the server can control).

But a friend in the business says 20% is the new 15%, and it's because servers need to make a living wage.
New?

15% hasn't been considered standard for years, if not decades.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that 15% is an insult to waiters, but I will say that I only tip that low for subpar service.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
New?

15% hasn't been considered standard for years, if not decades.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that 15% is an insult to waiters, but I will say that I only tip that low for subpar service.
If you will read one of the other threads on e subject you will see that this is area dependant.

And servers in NYC are trying to convince people to tip them 30% as standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance