Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times

Advertisements

It's maddening.

I have always tipped 15%, docking it to 10% if my drink ran out (something the server can control).

But a friend in the business says 20% is the new 15%, and it's because servers need to make a living wage.

Ok, but then what do I tip if I'm eating a single sushi roll? It's a $7 roll, so I pay the server $1.40? No she says you have to pay them a decent rate as they are working.

Ok, but then what do I tip if I'm eating a $150 dinner? Surely $30 for an hour at the table is too much. No she says, they earned it.

Ok, but what if I have a coupon. Pre coupon cost she says.

But why. They need to make a living wage she says, they only get paid $2.13/hr.

Ok, what about California, Washington, and Nevada, those guys all get full state min wage. No they need 20% too, they need a living wage.

What the heck, this is crazy.

It's 20% everywhere, unless it's a cheap meal then its a flat rate? Even when servers are paid a full wage?

I'm going $12.97/hr from now on. No matter the place, no matter the service (since it's wrong to leave a tip according to service).

30 minutes for a $50 outback lunch or a $7.49 dragon roll, $6.49.
An hour for a $150 real date night dinner, $12.97.

The server gets the oft noted $15/hr living wage, and I get to redistribute the wealth (no more of the attractive servers at Ruth's Chris making more for the same work as the plain servers at Denny's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:29 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,472 times
Don't be a cheap ass. If you don't want to tip....don't eat out. Don't overthink this either. Set your standard and keep to it, regardless of where you are.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
We make good money.........I do not mind tipping a working person.

I would much rather tip and decide where MY money goes than give it to the government to decide.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Tipping is all about service. If you are not getting good service, tip the min.

Add tips to the cost of your meal when you decides on a place that you want to eat.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
No way the minimum is 20%.

I find this video very insightful:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RVBs4O7SaI

Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times
It's best to pay them better wages and set expectations for standards of service rather than tipping.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
I don't that's being a cheap skate, I'd be paying more for the cheap meals and less for the expensive, it all would even out for me.

Just think Flemings vs Outback. Same parent company, the former charges 2x as much. The service provided to me is the same, so why do I pay the Flemmings server 2x more for the same amount of time.

And I'm not their only table, they are not hovering just out of sight. So on a slow day they've made $15/hr, and if they have 3-4 tables they're making $39-51/hr (plus some turnover). It'd be less in states that already pay a living wage, or a full min wage, but the cost of labor has already been rolled into the food price.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I don't that's being a cheap skate, I'd be paying more for the cheap meals and less for the expensive, it all would even out for me.

Just think Flemings vs Outback. Same parent company, the former charges 2x as much. The service provided to me is the same, so why do I pay the Flemmings server 2x more for the same amount of time.

And I'm not their only table, they are not hovering just out of sight. So on a slow day they've made $15/hr, and if they have 3-4 tables they're making $39-51/hr (plus some turnover). It'd be less in states that already pay a living wage, or a full min wage, but the cost of labor has already been rolled into the food price.
I've never worked in the service sector, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe the server keeps the entire tip. I think it gets split up among the staff, including busboys, bartenders, hostesses, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Servers usually have to split their tips among the other non-tipped employees. Some put them all in a pot and split equally because it's not always about individual performance, a great server can end up with a table that stays for hours and leaves no tip.

I do 20-30%. The cheaper the meal, the bigger percentage I tip. If I grab a $5 breakfast, I'll tip $2-3, my gosh, these people work hard and you can see they're not rich, pay it forward. Probably helps them way more than staying in my pocket. And if they screw up something, I usually tip more just because they won't expect it.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
I think 20% is way too high. (it's not like they just have my table.... And yes I did it in his high school)

My solution is to leave it entirely up to the server. (sadly decent service is hard to find)
I warn them that they likely want to bring me a 2nd drink or pitcher, (it's supprising how few do this.) and the tip reflects service.

I've left a $0.02 tip and I've left a tip more than my steak dinner.
Last time I went out I flat out told the server I'd add to her tip if she had my food cooked the way I like (the place screws it up about 1/2 the time, but its GOOD when they get it right)
She did and I bumped her tip by about 25%
She left me thirsty 1x but all together it came out to 25-30%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance