Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM

11,146 posts, read 10,720,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It all depends. My credit union wants a 3% fee to deposit coins into my savings account. My big bank does not. My big bank gives me free checks, free cashier checks, a free safe deposit box, free notary services, and foreign ATM fee reimbursement. My credit union does not.
Hmm, my credit union counts and deposits coins for free, and all except the foreign ATM and safe deposit box are free as well. I've used the big banks in the past, but overall the credit union I currently use is better than any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Wait, did you use your ATM the same day you made the $4k deposit? Because your own words state that you knew you only had $5 "until the next day". Not $12.

I think you are playing too close to the edge, keep more in your savings and don't spend money not yet credited to your account. You can all call WF customer service and they may be kind enough to waive some if not all of the OD fees for you, being a 20+ year customer and all. Unless you've done that before. This is really just a "wake up" moment for you, it's not about the bank trying to mess you over.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:57 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times
Pay no mind to the corporate water carriers. It's ridiculous.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM

242 posts, read 244,834 times
I am loyal to my money. Plain and simple. I do not believe the bank/customer dynamic is a relationship that needs to be coddled.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,582,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It all depends. My credit union wants a 3% fee to deposit coins into my savings account. My big bank does not. My big bank gives me free checks, free cashier checks, a free safe deposit box, free notary services, and foreign ATM fee reimbursement. My credit union does not.
Get a better CU.

Not every CU is better then every bank and not every bank sucks. On average I find better terms at CU's but I have to shop around to find them.

One thing that bugs me is the average banking customer seems to think they can only have one bank. Like choosing a car. Every financial institute has some great products to entice you to use them. The rest of their products suck. I use the best each offers and ignore the rest. All you have to do is find a good institution that has fast free ACH transfers and I can move money between banks/CU's nearly as fast as as I could if it all was in the same bank.

I get the crab/steak/Caesar Salad each offers without having to eat the Brussels Sprouts/fruitcake/Spam everyone else has to deal with.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
OP had $5 in his account and spent $12 so his overdraft kicked in. If reading and comprehending facts means I'm a corporate water carrier, so be it.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,476,745 times
Big banks are not your friend they are in business to make money off you, what is so hard to understand about that

Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Get a better CU.
What a great idea. I'll just magically become eligible to join a different credit union. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Of course you are right. Why shouldn't people be able to knowingly overdraft their bank accounts whenever they feel like it with no consequences? We should all write to our congressional representatives and demand this injustice be remedied.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There are still banks that charge fees for this sort of thing? Hmm, I guess banking with my local credit union has some perks....

My credit union recently announced a laundry list of new fees - including minimum balance - that took one entire page and half of the other side. They have fees for stuff I never heard of before. Still I've managed so far to avoid paying any fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance