Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 22,152 times

Advertisements

Please excuse me, i am still pretty young and just trying to make it in the real world.

I have multiple part time jobs. I seem to always be working. My husband works full time, sometimes 12 hours a day.

Believe me when i say this, we work hard. We are struggling and trying so hard to buy property and a house.

My friends husband just got on disability a year ago. Before that he was on unemployment and even admitted to me that he stopped really *trying* to find work because they were getting free money. Both do not work, and have not worked in years. He has even said to me "I'm retired" with a smile and he is in his 20s.

He worked for the army and cited his anxiety as a disability while working on the base (his duties was a desk job). They currently live in a brand new housing facility on the VA. They go on multiple vacations a year, usually monthly. From my calculations they receive 10+ packages in the mail a week from online shopping. I actually clean for a few clients at this facility so i'm always helping them by bringing in their packages when they get mail. I sometimes go on vacations with them, and they rent a car, rent the most expensive suites, order expensive room service & go to fancy restaurants. When at home they go to restaurants constantly and excessive shopping when going out together. The other day the wife was actually filling out paperwork to get *more* money from other services.

Because of the VA, he gets free health care, free counseling/medications... something i can only dream of.

Please explain to me, how is it that we are working so hard and seem to be getting no where.

Yet someone on disability seems to be living the high life?

Please believe me i am trying hard NOT to be jealous (who knew you could be jealous of someone on disability/welfare?!)

But I just dont understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:18 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
If he was deemed perminatly disabled while serving his income is tax free. What you are discribing certainly makes it seem like you are missing part if the picture though

Old 05-19-2015, 01:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Disability through the military?

Maybe he got shot at, or PTSD. Or shot himself in the foot.

I know a young guy who lives on disability. Looks like he is living the life but he can't sleep at night because of nightmares. Has 9 scars from bullets in his body and he broke his nose in combat and couldn't fix it quick enough. Now he needs a breathing apparatus at night because the nose is slightly crooked and still snores horribly loud. He only sleeps 1-2 hours at a time because of the nightmares.

But from the outside he looks like a healthy person.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I know of someone who claimed PTSD but is perfectly healthy. He gets $36K tax free a year, and probably does not save a penny, nor lives in a nice place. He's had drug problems in the past. He was a cook in the middle east during the war and said that someone threw a grenade into a tent he was working in that cause his PTSD.

Noe someone on real disability, like SSD or older retired people can hardly pay their rent.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldragon View Post
Please excuse me, i am still pretty young and just trying to make it in the real world.

I have multiple part time jobs. I seem to always be working. My husband works full time, sometimes 12 hours a day.

Believe me when i say this, we work hard. We are struggling and trying so hard to buy property and a house.

My friends husband just got on disability a year ago. Before that he was on unemployment and even admitted to me that he stopped really *trying* to find work because they were getting free money. Both do not work, and have not worked in years. He has even said to me "I'm retired" with a smile and he is in his 20s.

He worked for the army and cited his anxiety as a disability while working on the base (his duties was a desk job). They currently live in a brand new housing facility on the VA. They go on multiple vacations a year, usually monthly. From my calculations they receive 10+ packages in the mail a week from online shopping. I actually clean for a few clients at this facility so i'm always helping them by bringing in their packages when they get mail. I sometimes go on vacations with them, and they rent a car, rent the most expensive suites, order expensive room service & go to fancy restaurants. When at home they go to restaurants constantly and excessive shopping when going out together. The other day the wife was actually filling out paperwork to get *more* money from other services.

Because of the VA, he gets free health care, free counseling/medications... something i can only dream of.

Please explain to me, how is it that we are working so hard and seem to be getting no where.

Yet someone on disability seems to be living the high life?

Please believe me i am trying hard NOT to be jealous (who knew you could be jealous of someone on disability/welfare?!)

But I just dont understand.

When someone defends it ask yourself why? Are they on disability themselves, did they drink the liberal kool-aid, are they living on your tax dollar somehow? Although I do believe in PTSD, those people who served in battle, I don't know that I could do it. It's supposed to be mentally and socially debilitating. It doesn't sound like that is the case with your friend though but it's hard to know for sure. It's not cut and dry and it is disheartening to people like you.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 PM

18 posts, read 22,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Disability through the military?

Maybe he got shot at, or PTSD. Or shot himself in the foot.

I know a young guy who lives on disability. Looks like he is living the life but he can't sleep at night because of nightmares. Has 9 scars from bullets in his body and he broke his nose in combat and couldn't fix it quick enough. Now he needs a breathing apparatus at night because the nose is slightly crooked and still snores horribly loud. He only sleeps 1-2 hours at a time because of the nightmares.

But from the outside he looks like a healthy person.
He never saw combat, he was on a base doing paperwork in the US. They got the disability because he has social anxiety, something i am very familiar with since i suffer from it as well. She doesn't work because she gets migraines.

I just feel like i am getting no where financially, yet people whom are using my money (our money) that is suppose to help the needy, is going towards someones next big video game system or a vacation to Hawaii.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Your friend's husband may be fraudulently collecting benefits. If so, he can (and should) be prosecuted and sent to jail if found guilty.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldragon View Post
He never saw combat, he was on a base doing paperwork in the US. They got the disability because he has social anxiety, something i am very familiar with since i suffer from it as well. She doesn't work because she gets migraines.
Years ago my MIL neighbor said she "had social anxiety". She and her kids lived with her mommy and lived off the tax payer and she worked under the table. Then the law changed and she was forced to work. Oh was she P****d.

I'll never forget one day during a major snowstorm and my MIL was upset and worried because her kids were trying to get home from work. Welfare girl came over and said "now what fool would be out there in that storm". My MIL blew up and said "those fools out there working to support your fat ass, now get out".

Migraine? LOL, a girl who works for me gets migraines and in fact just had a bout, a little more persistent, I gave her paid time off to go to the hospital to see if something more was wrong. Guess what, she is now back to work and is her usual excellent employee. Your friend is a slug using any excuse to live off people like you and me. When liberals try to tug at your heart strings think of your friend living it up while you work.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
I know this may no sound encouraging but don't dwell on what other people are doing. Concentrate on you and yours. You sound like a person who has a desire for a more comfortable lifestyle.

Look at it this way. The life the people you see living is basically limited but you have unlimited opportunities. Just keep your eyes open for an opportunity and once you see it, run with it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I know this may no sound encouraging but don't dwell on what other people are doing. Concentrate on you and yours. You sound like a person who has a desire for a more comfortable lifestyle.

Look at it this way. The life the people you see living is basically limited but you have unlimited opportunities. Just keep your eyes open for an opportunity and once you see it, run with it.
I agree but that's hard to see when they are working hard and seeing people like this. OP, I would also change the quality of people you hang out with, they will eventually want more, eventually be hurting and when they do, they'll just be downers to be around. It looks like they are rubbing scamming the tax payer in your nose. It sounds like you are better people... Get around better people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance