Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You are right, I should have said the current system punishes people who don't have debt, but it surely does. Even if you have a credit history, anytime your debt is totally paid off and you are debt free, your score will go down
Meh...
I have zero debt, and a score over 800 also.
I do not feel 'punished' at all!

How is that punishment affecting your life? From what is that 800 score holding you back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
FICO does not punish anyone. It is simple a measure of your credit-worthiness.
If you use credit properly, you get a certain score.
If you use credit improperly, you get a lower score.
No credit use? No score.
No way that can be seen as punishment.

But is it an effective or efficient measure of your credit worthiness?

If I had walked away from my debts 15 years ago (bankruptcy) I would have a decent FICO score today.

By NOT doing BK, old debts haunt my score indefinitely.

How does BK make a person more credit worthy than NOT BK?.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:35 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
People who have never used any credit and pay cash for everything and who have never been late on a bill and never been taken to court and never had a financial judgement against them do not have a low credit score. Their credit report comes back as "not enough information to score".

I'm a landlord and I love to have tenants who have never borrowed money and never been late on a bill. Talk to any landlord and you are very likely to hear the same answer. We all like tenants who are completely debt free and have never paid late.

If you apply for a mortgage, the bank does not use your credit score, they use the entire credit report. If you have no score (not a low score, but no score) and you have plenty of money to qualify and that income is a reliable source of income, you are very likely to get your mortgage.

A low credit score can affect your insurance rate. Although in this area, you have the option of using your score or not. If you have a high credit score, it is worth it because the rates are lower. A low credit score will affect the interest you pay for any loan.

The only way to get a low credit score is to not pay your bills on time, or else you have been taken to court and had a financial judgement against you, which is most likely to be because you didn't pay your bills. If you have a history of not paying, why is it surprising that people are reluctant to loan you money?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People who have never used any credit and pay cash for everything and who have never been late on a bill and never been taken to court and never had a financial judgement against them do not have a low credit score. Their credit report comes back as "not enough information to score".

I'm a landlord and I love to have tenants who have never borrowed money and never been late on a bill. Talk to any landlord and you are very likely to hear the same answer. We all like tenants who are completely debt free and have never paid late.

If you apply for a mortgage, the bank does not use your credit score, they use the entire credit report. If you have no score (not a low score, but no score) and you have plenty of money to qualify and that income is a reliable source of income, you are very likely to get your mortgage.

A low credit score can affect your insurance rate. Although in this area, you have the option of using your score or not. If you have a high credit score, it is worth it because the rates are lower. A low credit score will affect the interest you pay for any loan.

The only way to get a low credit score is to not pay your bills on time, or else you have been taken to court and had a financial judgement against you, which is most likely to be because you didn't pay your bills. If you have a history of not paying, why is it surprising that people are reluctant to loan you money?

According to the FICO website, unless a debt scavenger is re-aging my 15-year-old debts, I have "not enough information to score."

How do 15-year-old debts, with NO intervening credit activity, indicate anything meaningful today?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Not really. One tradeline reporting a small balance is all it takes to show usage (there IS a small penalty for not using your credit, but it amounts to a few points and can be easily rectified using the above strategy) just pay it off before the due date to pay no interest of course.

I don't consider charges I have the money to pay off debt. It's merely a temporary holding place for charges that will be settled from my checking account when the time comes. In fact, I mentally subtract any balances on my credit cards from my checking account balance when calculating how much money I have.

FICO doesn't punish debt, it just reports it
Re-read my first sentence.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
FICO does not punish anyone. It is simple a measure of your credit-worthiness.
If you use credit properly, you get a certain score.
If you use credit improperly, you get a lower score.
No credit use? No score.
No way that can be seen as punishment.
Which I clarified in the first sentence of the post that followed.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
FICO scores punish low scorers and favor high scorers.
Of course risk is what they report on and its up to the lender then.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Re-read my first sentence.
This one?

Quote:
You are right, I should have said the current system punishes people who don't have debt, but it surely does.
What does that clarify? FICO or the system, doesn't matter which, does not punish those who have no debt.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
This one?

What does that clarify? FICO or the system, doesn't matter which, does not punish those who have no debt.
Okay, let's agree to disagree. It's probably just semantics.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Of course risk is what they report on and its up to the lender then.

Does anyone seriously believe a person with a rising 650 is equal in risk to a person with a plunging 650?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance