Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No your foolishness either proved you lack the understanding or you are simply a troll
Just look at him type. He is either a troll or has the intellect of an 11 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 AM

51 posts, read 47,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No your foolishness either proved you lack the understanding or you are simply a troll
Ok then don't go crying if you hit a fork in the road that money will be tight for you.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout marks View Post
Well it is good topics that we are discussing. People sometimes think that life is easy and everything will go smoothly. But it doesn't .
Again, this has nothing to do with advantages of remaining single versus getting married, in regard to finances, or anything else. Yes, life sometimes goes smoothly, and yes, sometimes, it doesn't. Whether you're married or single.

Your entire thesis is still one that is flawed.

You also seems to be basing everything you know on "some young couples I know" (and whose finances you apparently have great in-depth knowledge of, somehow) who purchased more costly housing than you feel that they could realistically afford, and are extrapolating that fairly bare bones anecdotal observation to make vast, sweeping generalizations that the problem in this scenario is obviously marriage. Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

You seem to have some type of personal problem with people you personally know being "greedy" and "wanting a big house like a new toy," which mostly seems to consist, in your mind, of spending more on a home than you chose to. Which, hey, if that's what eats you up at night while you're trying to fall asleep, whatever, but it really doesn't have anything do to one way or another with the financial advantages of being married versus those of staying single. It really just kind of seems like you were looking for an open forum to rant against young people you know buying bigger and more costly homes than you think they should, based on your knowledge of their personal finances, and I'm fairly sure that if those people you know had required your guidance, they'd have enlisted you to provide it.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Again, this has nothing to do with advantages of remaining single versus getting married, in regard to finances, or anything else. Yes, life sometimes goes smoothly, and yes, sometimes, it doesn't. Whether you're married or single.

Your entire thesis is still one that is flawed.

You also seems to be basing everything you know on "some young couples I know" (and whose finances you apparently have great in-depth knowledge of, somehow) who purchased more costly housing than you feel that they could realistically afford, and are extrapolating that fairly bare bones anecdotal observation to make vast, sweeping generalizations that the problem in this scenario is obviously marriage. Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

You seem to have some type of personal problem with people you personally know being "greedy" and "wanting a big house like a new toy," which mostly seems to consist, in your mind, of spending more on a home than you chose to. Which, hey, if that's what eats you up at night while you're trying to fall asleep, whatever, but it really doesn't have anything do to one way or another with the financial advantages of being married versus those of staying single. It really just kind of seems like you were looking for an open forum to rant against young people you know buying bigger and more costly homes than you think they should, based on your knowledge of their personal finances, and I'm fairly sure that if those people you know had required your guidance, they'd have enlisted you to provide it.
Since when are you an expert on writing composition? Sometimes there are factors that can add in on this forum

Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
OP, interesting...as one is is single...I think marrieds have the advantage.

To me, the ONLY advantage financially is you have no legal partner who could affect you saving. spending and budgeting decisions....like a spouse spending too much money, running up credit cards, etc.

Monetarily, a second salary more than makes up for an 'marriage tax' penalty.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
OP, interesting...as one is is single...I think marrieds have the advantage.

To me, the ONLY advantage financially is you have no legal partner who could affect you saving. spending and budgeting decisions....like a spouse spending too much money, running up credit cards, etc.

Monetarily, a second salary more than makes up for an 'marriage tax' penalty.
Yes an no with marriage. It does cost more with marriage. We can go back to the toilet paper example. More toilet paper used and laundry detergent for clothes. And eating expenses. I doubt you and your spouse eat the same piece of chicken off of the same plate. Plus beauty expenses for the wife . She has to go to the beauty parlor for hair styling. What about makeup and manicure? That costs also. Unless the husband is a control freak and tells the wife what she can spend money on

Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM

813 posts, read 600,628 times
Quote:
Yes an no with marriage. It does cost more with marriage. We can go back to the toilet paper example. More toilet paper used and laundry detergent for clothes. And eating expenses. I doubt you and your spouse eat the same piece of chicken off of the same plate. Plus beauty expenses for the wife . She has to go to the beauty parlor for hair styling. What about makeup and manicure? That costs also. Unless the husband is a control freak and tells the wife what she can spend money on
ES, you keep saying it costs more, but you aren't considering the whole picture. It does cost more comparing 1 single person to 2 married persons, but that is an unequal equation (comparing 1 to 2). You should be comparing 2 single people to 2 people married to each other (comparing 2 to 2), then the equation will be balanced.

Keep trying, you'll get it someday!

Rg

Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Yes I do. More expensive the house the more maintenance. You can't get away from that. Things don't last forever.things have to changed after time

Also with owning a home no ones job is gauranteed. I kept saying banks will give you the loan if you put enough down but you still have to make payments. There are people who buy big houses thinking that their job Is secure then they hit a fork in the road. Does the bank care if you loose your job? No!!! They still expect you to meet the monthly payments. That is life
That's why they look at savings, assets, and credit history. They don't want to be stuck with a bunch of overpriced foreclosures; that's what happened last time.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,373 times
Quote:
Yes an no with marriage. It does cost more with marriage. We can go back to the toilet paper example. More toilet paper used and laundry detergent for clothes. And eating expenses. I doubt you and your spouse eat the same piece of chicken off of the same plate.
I'm sorry, but at this point I'm assuming you're either a troll or not thinking rationally (or both, I suppose).

In the case of "toilet paper", TWO PEOPLE living SEPARATELY as SINGLES will spend THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY on toilet paper as TWO PEOPLE who are LIVING TOGETHER (married or not). There is nothing about getting married that magically makes one go to the bathroom more often (I can hear the jokes in the background, but anyway). If anything, two people living in one of those "larger houses" you keep going on about will have more storage space so they could buy toilet paper in bulk (those giant Costco packages) and maybe spend a tiny bit less on toilet paper than they each did when single.

Unless you're coming from the perspective of "I'm the guy, and I just got myself a woman, and now she does stuff that costs me money", in which case... .

Re: food, again, any one person will generally eat the same amount single or married, so two separate people living apart will eat X quantity of food, and if they live together...they'll generally, combined, eat the same X quantity of food. Again, if anything they might be able to eat cheaper COMBINED if one of them is a good cook (as the other person can eat more "homemade" stuff rather than ordering out as they would if they lived by themselves) and the aforementioned "can buy larger quantities" and thereby possibly save a little that way.

Again, if you're assuming "I'm the guy earning all the money, and now I have to pay for my food and my wife's as well", then again, totally different story, but many marriages are not like that.

Quote:
Plus beauty expenses for the wife . She has to go to the beauty parlor for hair styling. What about makeup and manicure? That costs also. Unless the husband is a control freak and tells the wife what she can spend money on
Er, you DO realize that many women work and earn their own money, right? That many women aren't mystically going to start spending more money on "beauty expenses" just because they got married? That for MANY women, these "beauty expenses" are quite low? Or are you assuming some stereotyped view of "wives" that all they do is sit around, get their hair and nails done, go out to lunch with their friends, and spend their husband's money (and apparently talk them into buying bigger houses than they should)?

Seriously, NOTHING you have brought up pertains to "extra costs of marriage", unless you are marrying a spendaholic who brings in no income. Heck, being in any sort of a relationship with such a person is generally not a good idea, married or not.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's why they look at savings, assets, and credit history. They don't want to be stuck with a bunch of overpriced foreclosures; that's what happened last time.
The bank looked at all of that on me thouroughly as well 12 yeArs ago in 2003 when I bought my house and that was before the real estate market crashed and when I refinanced my house 5 years ago. One thing I have a really good percentage paid off so if I decide to move in the next 2 or 3 years to a more expensive home I will have more money made because I bought my house cheaper for the first home. It is what I am arguing that young couples want the huge big and massive expensive home for their first home instead of gradually building up to it. That is the best way to go . Get cheaper and pay it off then you have some good cash for the down payment toward your next place and I bought my first home for 200k not 450 k to 850k like some young couples are doing today. It is all about patience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance